2023 Hunting Season

Here's some action from my spring bear hunt here in Canada. One shot with the old 7x57 with 173gr S&B ammo. At 2370 fps. 100 yards, bear dropped at the shot but got back up and made it 20 yards, letting out a death moan. Bear squared 5'9", not my biggest but a good example of color phased black bear. Double lung. Bullet exited. No complaints from the 7x57.

LFX373A.jpg

vf9vBWK.jpg
Congratulations. Another success for you and your rifle. Well done. :)

Any brownie is a trophy. Congratulations. Early in the season, and the meat is good to go; that'll do.(y)

Congratulations! You should get double points for the lefty rifle. :) Range, cartridge, and bullet?
Apologies Dan, the rifle is just a run of the mill right handed one. The camera was in self portrait mode so I guess it flops it somehow?
Anyways it's a Remington 700 XCR2 in .375 H&H. Shooting 260gr AccuBond handloads at around 2800. I had planned to carry my .350 Rem Mag shooting 250 Speers. The 375 has a Leupold 2-7 VXR on it though with much better light transmission on it than the older Vari X on the 350. The bear I'd been looking for was coming in consistently at 1120pm with low shooting light. Hence carrying the 375 instead. And as Murphy dictates when I walked in at 3pm in broad daylight this one was at the site. Watched for 10 minutes or so and decided to take her. She didn't know I was there so I dropped my pack and stalked about 15 yards closer for a clear shot. Shot distance roughly 40 yards. First shot punched her through the lungs and she was dead. But she was still rolling around so I sent another, unfortunately through some brush at this point, and caught her in the left hip. Bit of damage with that but I know a good taxidermist. She's not big at all as brown bears go but beautiful hide and salvageable meat on the last day of brownie season works for me.
Will still be trying for a black bear or two with the 350 at a later date.

Last edited:
Apologies Dan, the rifle is just a run of the mill right handed one. The camera was in self portrait mode so I guess it flops it somehow?
Anyways it's a Remington 700 XCR2 in .375 H&H. Shooting 260gr AccuBond handloads at around 2800. I had planned to carry my .350 Rem Mag shooting 250 Speers. The 375 has a Leupold 2-7 VXR on it though with much better light transmission on it than the older Vari X on the 350. The bear I'd been looking for was coming in consistently at 1120pm with low shooting light. Hence carrying the 375 instead. And as Murphy dictates when I walked in at 3pm in broad daylight this one was at the site. Watched for 10 minutes or so and decided to take her. She didn't know I was there so I dropped my pack and stalked about 15 yards closer for a clear shot. Shot distance roughly 40 yards. First shot punched her through the lungs and she was dead. But she was still rolling around so I sent another, unfortunately through some brush at this point, and caught her in the left hip. Bit of damage with that but I know a good taxidermist. She's not big at all as brown bears go but beautiful hide and salvageable meat on the last day of brownie season works for me.
Will still be trying for a black bear or two with the 350 at a later date.
Well, on the last afternoon of the last day sure makes full use of the hunting season. :) Good luck with the black bears. Hoping to see another "blood trail" camo pattern on the 350 Rem. Mag.

Congratulations Ben on a beautiful bear! Your rifle and load did the job. Really like the blood trail camo pattern.
What is your load for the 375 H&H Mag and the 260 gr AB?

JD338

Congratulations Ben on a beautiful bear! Your rifle and load did the job. Really like the blood trail camo pattern.
What is your load for the 375 H&H Mag and the 260 gr AB?

JD338
Thanks JD
73.2gr of RL15 and a Fed 215M is what it's sitting on loaded to max box length for the rifle. I forget the exact length but I do know it jumps .26" to the lands. That number has stuck with me.
Shoots well enough especially since I have yet to take a shot on game with it past 40 yards. Previous to this they were all inside 20.

Thanks JD
73.2gr of RL15 and a Fed 215M is what it's sitting on loaded to max box length for the rifle. I forget the exact length but I do know it jumps .26" to the lands. That number has stuck with me.
Shoots well enough especially since I have yet to take a shot on game with it past 40 yards. Previous to this they were all inside 20.
Thank you Ben.
I'm about to start load development for my 375 H&H Mag with the 250 TTSX and the 260 AB.

JD338

Great looking bear. I sure miss, this being my second season retired, being out on the Peninsula for the end of bear season. What general area where you in?

I would agree, beautiful hide. I’ve seen a few with that coloration down around Ugashik and we had quite a few around King Salmon.

I'm on the Kenai Peninsula. She looks like a Toklat bear though. Somewhat rare for this area. They're usually much darker overall. View attachment 19975
Gorgeous looking bear, congrats on your last day of the season bear! I really liked how the 260 gr AB performed on grizzly and black bear when I had my 375 Ruger. Great bullet for sure.

Back