22-250

I started and finished with Big Game and the 55 BT varmint. That was when Varget was unavailable, or I would have worked with it. But given what Big Game is capable of, I don't really see a need to switch. Plus I have several pounds of it for the 7-08's. If I were looking to go down in bullet weight, then I think I would look to others than BG.

Last edited:
I started and finished with Big Game and the 55 BT varmint. That was when Varget was unavailable, or I would have worked with it. But given what Big Game is capable of, I don't really see a need to switch. Plus I have several pounds of it for the 7-08's. If I were looking to go down in bullet weight, then I think I would look to others than BG.
I have heard Big Game is good with the 22-250 but haven’t tried it yet. Will have to look into.

My daughter’s Ruger compact 18” barrel favors BL-C2 with 55gr bullets.

Varget for me but H380 is my Dads favorite .22-250 powder.

Quite a few years ago Dad had a 22-250, a Remington 700 varminter. It was flinging bullets sideways through the target and grouping terribly with his handloads. He was shooting some 55 grain Ballistic Tips at modest velocity... I forget what powder he was using.

I got him to move to a shorter, lighter bullet and switch to a near max charge of H 380. Suddenly that rifle was shooting itty-bitty groups! He pretty much wiped out a couple of prairie dog towns and a whole lot of sage rats with it. :) I've yet to take it out for a shooting session since it came to live here.

Guy

Quite a few years ago Dad had a 22-250, a Remington 700 varminter. It was flinging bullets sideways through the target and grouping terribly with his handloads. He was shooting some 55 grain Ballistic Tips at modest velocity... I forget what powder he was using.

I got him to move to a shorter, lighter bullet and switch to a near max charge of H 380. Suddenly that rifle was shooting itty-bitty groups! He pretty much wiped out a couple of prairie dog towns and a whole lot of sage rats with it. :) I've yet to take it out for a shooting session since it came to live here.

Guy
My Ruger M77 Hawkeye .22-250 belonged to my best childhood friend. He died at 29 from cancer. His wife gave me the gun after the funeral.

It is a nice truck gun, 22” lightweight contour and the standard 1-14” twist. It absolutely loves the 55 grain Sierra Gameking on top of 35 grains of Varget. It also shoots the 55 grain Hornady VMAX well but not as good.

In 2018, I killed this cougar with it on a ranch near Mitchell. That day it was loaded up with the Rem-UMC 45 grain HP factory loads. Did the trick.

IMG_0396.jpeg

Varner was our go to, but we also used benchmark from memory. Seems the 223 is more popular here in Australia than the 22.250 which is weird given how capable the latter is.

Over many years, yes I m old ! , I ve seen many powders from H4895 to 4350 burn rates do the trick.

Probably the more popular ones are H380, Varget and 4895 and 4064 varieties.

If you already have something in this burn rate area, give it a try. A couple 3 shot groups and you ll soon know whether to venture to others! Good Luck.

(Remember that 22-250 is quite overbore so I d suggest 3 shot groups and good cooling time between each group)

Over many years, yes I m old ! , I ve seen many powders from H4895 to 4350 burn rates do the trick.

Probably the more popular ones are H380, Varget and 4895 and 4064 varieties.

If you already have something in this burn rate area, give it a try. A couple 3 shot groups and you ll soon know whether to venture to others! Good Luck.

(Remember that 22-250 is quite overbore so I d suggest 3 shot groups and good cooling time between each group)
👆👆👆This👆👆👆
I guess this makes me old too!

JD338

Back