25-06 CDL

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Well, with Remington giving 100.00 rebates on CDL's, I went to the PX yesterday and did a price check. Well, after it was all said and done, I asked them to order me a Remington M700 CDL in 25-06. It was a moment of weakness, and I really like the CDL's. I know Remington's have been having a rough go lately and I couldn't wait any longer for Winchester to make a 25-06/257 Wby, so I took the plunge. Hopefully Remington has kept up on their CDL's. I have one in a 35 Whelen and really like it alot. After seeing the pictures of Guy's 25-06 and all the talk, I decided a 25-06 is pretty smart. Cases are pretty inexpensive, and it will do anything I want it to do. I am not after a barn burner, just a cool .257 caliber rifle and I hope this is the one. Not sure what I am going to do about optics just yet, but I imagine this gun will hang in the safe for awhile. My first thoughts are a FX3 6X LR reticle Leupold, Matte finish or the 4.5x14 with the B&C reticle. I am really kind of leaning towards the 6x for simplicity. Mounts and bases may get the Weaver Tactical bases and Weaver 6 hole rings like Bullets 300 Win Mag, but again, not really just sure yet. I have some time, but I have broke into the .257 weight class. Hoping it looks good when it comes in. We have the choice to take it or not take it, so as long as it is free of dents and scratches, I should have it by the weekend. Scotty

only thing I would have done different is I Am a sucker I really like the xcr2 with the black on green but the cdls are sharp in own right

Thanks buddy, just wanted a wood stocked rifle. It won't be going to Alaska or anything, so it should be okay? Thanks Nitis! Looking forward to seeing it. Scotty

All right, there goes my RADD again. Seriously good looking rifle that should be a lot of fun. Congratulations.

Congratulations on your new rifle Scotty,
I also ordered a 25 CDL this evening. Unlike yours, mine is a 257 Roberts. That $100 rebate made it too difficult to fight my RADD. Hope to see mine in about 2 weeks. From what I've heard on this and other forums yours should be a good shooter and fine looking rifle.

Enjoy it.

Bruce

Scotty -
I am glad you made the plunge!! The 25-06 is really versatile for many applications. My friend that is coming in from Arizona to hunt deer with me in Minnesota will be shooting a 25-06 I convinced him to buy three years ago. He has a really nice load worked up with 120 Swift A-frames that he used for elk in Montana last year.

You now have a backup to shoot while your other varmint rifles are cooling when you come to shoot a p-dogs with me! :lol:

Wow... All these warriors with .25-06 rifles - cool. Yeah, I'm pretty fond of the .25-06 700 CDL, and I sure hope yours works out as well as mine has. Funny thing, I started with a 4.5-14x Leupold on it and swapped to a fixed 6x with the 42mm objective after a couple of years. It's taken some coyotes, and five mule deer from 30 - 400 yards. Easy to carry, easy to shoot and tough on the mulies.

Semper Fi indeed. Guy

Scotty,

Congratulations on your CDL 25-06. Great choice of caliber. You are going to love the quarter bores!

JD338

Good for you.
The CDL is by far my most favorite rifle of Big Green

Congrats on the new toy. I absolutely love my Classic .25-06, and have thought about picking up another .25-06 of some sort, probably a CDL. Although if Winchester offered an Extreme Weather in .25-06, or Ruger's stainless/laminate Sporter Hawkeye...

Scotty that was a GREAT choice. The CDL is one beautiful rifle and either it or the Mountain Rifle are a toss up as to the best looking rifles in my opinion that Remington has EVER turned out! The 25-06 is wonderful and will kill everything up to an elk. I am loading 120 gr. Partitions in my wifes 25-06 MTN rifle that a young man by the name of Andy is hoepfully going to get his first elk/first big-game animal with THIS YEAR! I've had great luck with the Partitions and they ARE NEVER EVER A MISTAKE, but I have sure grown fond of the Accubonds and have switched a lot of my rifles over to the AccuBond. I just haven't had enough time to work up a load for her rifle yet., but the 110 gr. AccuBond will get some use next year I am thinking when I draw that sheep tag!! Send us pictures of your 25-06 and the other RADD affected guy who got it in the .257 Roberts. Congratulations to you both. You feel better now don't you!

Thanks fellers. I like the CDL's a bunch. I am sure it will be a good one. At least I am hoping for that. I like the 25-06 and have some 120gr PT's and 100gr ETips on the bench already. It will probably be awhile till I get set up to load for it, or get a scope on it, but at least the rifle is within reach. Looking forward to putting some rounds though it though! Scotty

There is something comforting about having a rifle within reach, especially when it is begging to have a load worked up.

beretzs":1n4tktad said:
It will probably be awhile till I get set up to load for it, or get a scope on it, but at least the rifle is within reach. Looking forward to putting some rounds though it though! Scotty

You know... you could just have it shipped here... that way it won't have to sit around waiting to get shot. I have a couple hundred rounds of .25-06 lying around... we could git'er broke in and killing yodel pups in no time flat.

Just kidding... congrats on the new stick... it's my all time favorite round... though I'm a stainless/synthetic guy myself, I will admit the CDL is one handsome rifle.

Thanks Songdog! I might get it out later this year to hunt coyotes with. Gotta get my hands on some 85gr BT's. I imagine those might slow the coyotes down a little! Scotty

85 NBTs ain't fur friendly... that's for sure!

Offer's on the table... incase you change your mind. A little coyote blood and some prickly pear scratches will just add to the beauty. Townsend Whelen said: "only accurate rifles are interesting"... I say: "only beat up rifles that kill schitt are interesting"

Songdog":1ytzou6n said:

Offer's on the table... incase you change your mind. A little coyote blood and some prickly pear scratches will just add to the beauty. Townsend Whelen said: "only accurate rifles are interesting"... I say: "only beat up rifles that kill schitt are interesting"

I like your quote buddy! My rifles have quite a few scratches, dents and dings. I take good care of them, but while I am hunting I do anything but baby them. they are shooting irons. Plus, chicks dig scars! I wished I could get out to Colorado just to hunt and call coyotes in the wide open spaces. Hopefully after my first retirement I can plant myself someplace out West that allows more hunting.... Scotty

Here is the scope I am thinking of putting on the rifle.

http://swfa.com/Leupold-6x42-FX-3-Rifle ... 12758.aspx

Songdog":3tplq6cl said:

:lol:

JD338

beretzs":1fkd2l9j said:
Thanks Songdog! I might get it out later this year to hunt coyotes with. Gotta get my hands on some 85gr BT's. I imagine those might slow the coyotes down a little! Scotty
Scotty,

The 25-06 is not fur friendly. I would just stick with the 100 gr BT for both yotes and deer and call it good.

JD338

Back