280 elk/bear bullet

tim629

Handloader
Apr 15, 2013
I'm going to guess that the answer is "either" but I was curious if there is any reason to choose the 150 Partition over the 160 AccuBond for the 280ai

I have the potential to go to Idaho next year for elk and have 25 accubonds left on the bench with a good load for 100 yards

I have 200 partitions sitting in the back room and I think more down in the basement.

if there is a read advantage then i'll buy more accubonds to dial in a better load for farther distances

tim629":228p43ha said:
I'm going to guess that the answer is "either."

From my perspective, this would be correct. The AccuBond will perhaps allow more reach, but in my experience with the .280 Rem, either will work very well for the purpose you have in mind.

I'm sure liking my .280 AI and I suspect you will really enjoy yours as well. I agree with Dr. Mike. If you already have a load with the 160 gr. AccuBond already dialed in, I would just go with that, but then the 150 gr. Partition you could not go wrong either.

I think I would play with the 160's some more unless you are satisfied with what you have worked up right now. With all the 150 gr. Partitions you have I would work on a load with them also. I think I would then shoot the most accurate one of the two and call it good. I shot my cow last year at 450 yards with one 140 gr. Partition. She only went about 30 feet and went down.

i have a load that i'm happy with for eastern hunting, but not dialed in for longer ranges.

interestingly I have some 120gr copper bullets that shoot within an inch of the 160 AccuBond but that is 100 yards so its nice to be able to change between loads for deer/bear without changing scope settings

just figuring if the overall response is go 160 AccuBond then I need to search now and start practicing now so I can get comfortable at the 200-300 yard (or whatever is suggested for idaho elk)

150 PT or 160 PT or AB
for cup and core 154 hornady is king!

I always liked the 154s/160s in any 7mm. I have used and liked the Hornady 139sp in my first 280, killed deer up close with the 150 corlokts factory load ( which worked like a Partition) I then used the 150 Partition in a 7mm Rem Mag up close on a buck in Georgia ( he was of the Northern WT bloodline, though a youngster he dress out around 140...much bigger than the Texas deer I was used to at the time) My current 280 really, really loves the 154 Hornadys and the Nosler 168 ABLR. But mine is factory barreled Remington with the 9 1/4" twist. My friend used a 280 AI (a reamed out 280 Mountain Rifle) and my handloads using the Speer 160sp to kill a huge cow elk at about 65yds, neck shot, bullet may still be going ( I just like that saying!) Lots of good choices for you. Here in Utah, most of the 270 users I ask use the 150gr for about everything, deer and elk! The antelope shooters like the lighter 130s ( I say 270 because I have never ran into but a couple 280 users ( who use 150s) out here besides me! ha. They usually jump straight to the 7mm Rem Mag. Who use 150s as a majority. You may as well work with both and see which one scratches your itch! Well, I'm off to Church...a Pastor "should" show up on time, don't you think? :)

SPS has 160gr AB's in stock right now, if you care to restock on those. But, as far as I'm concerned, you're in a win-win coin flip situation, can't go wrong with either.

You've got a year, why not try both at the range and let your rifle speak to you ?

I don't think there is a wrong answer to your question...

Personally, I've been shooting everything with an AccuBond for a long time now and have no reason to change that. I'd think a 160AB out of the 280AI would work better than just fine!

While I like both bullets, I do prefer the 160 AB over the 150 PT just because of the higher BC will carry more energy down range, and the extra mass and SD will provide better penetration. And while I have taken quite a few various types of big game with the PT's from deer to bison, I have taken even more with the AB and have a real appreciation for its accuracy, penetration and weight retention, when able to recover a bullet.

Since you have a good load worked out for the AB, get some more, load them up and hunt everything with confidence! Make memories and eat well!

Either the 150 gr PT or the 160 gr AB would be ideal.
I would lean towards the 150 gr PT.
61.0 grs RL22 produced 3015 fps and stellar accuracy. Recovered in the 6th jug at 100 yds,
weight 101.7 grs, expanded to .678".
022.jpg

Excellent penetration in the water jugs too.
7mm150grPT3115fps004.jpg

JD338

Jim, from memory didn't you send Aleena off on her sheep hunt in Asia with a 140 AB in her 280 AI.

I know it was a successful hunt, however Elk will weight a couple hundred pounds more, so the 160 should do the trick for sure. As hodgeman said, I think it would be more than fine.

Always enjoy seeing the targets you post, Jim. That 280 AI is just plain dialed in. Very exciting, and it does pack a punch as witnessed by the game you've dropped with it.

Jim, I have copied your loads in my 280AI using the 150gr. ABLRs :wink:. However I have yet been able to give a report other than everything that has been shot at with this load is very dead (y) . I will post the photo of the mature cow Moose I shot a week ago again no recovery as I shot her between the lookers :shock: as she looked out at us from between some willows.

Blessings,
Dan

Attachments

• IMG_1365.JPG
    IMG_1365.JPG
    135 KB · Views: 1,179
Oh, yeah, that'll make some great table fare, Dan. Glad she accepted your invitation to join you for dinner.

Europe":1zgpe323 said:
Jim, from memory didn't you send Aleena off on her sheep hunt in Asia with a 140 AB in her 280 AI.

I know it was a successful hunt, however Elk will weight a couple hundred pounds more, so the 160 should do the trick for sure. As hodgeman said, I think it would be more than fine.

April, you are correct, the load I gave A was for the 140 gr AB.

JD338

Dan,

Well done, congratulations on your cow moose.

JD338

Either or... The 160 AB has been doing a number on elk for us the last few years. The 150 Partition would do the same. You can't make a bad choice.

Back