300 WSM - What's the best bullet ?

jagermeister

Beginner
Jun 1, 2012
I am shortly going to start reloading for this caliber for a Buddy of mine.

What do you guys think would be the best bullet weight/type for long range hunting for Deer and Elk ?

I have run a software and the 165 AB comes out pretty well..., better than I thought it would.
Actually, I was going to jump on the 180 right away, but now.... :?

Main concern is not much downrange power, but more wind drift for those unpredictable long range shots....

Thanks in advance.
:wink:
J

The 165 grain AB will work very well for you. I prefer a heavier bullet in my 300WSM, and consequently, I've shot 180 grain bullets for years (Fail Safe, Partitions, MagTips). More recently, I've been focusing on 200 grain bullets. Having said all that, I wouldn't be undergunned with a 165 grain AB. I have worked up loads for a number of 300WSMs using that precise bullet, and it has performed quite well on a variety of game.

My choice would be either the 180 gr. AB, with that critera. However my favorite is still the PT of the same weight.

180 gr. Accubonds are giving great performance here...

Using Nearly max loads of Magpro, and CCI mag primers, Winchester brass.

my brothers BAR, shoots 1/2 -9/16 in. groups all day long. My nephews A-bolt shoots basically one hole groups, and knocked a bull elk flat at 412 yards with one shot, he never took a step.

I have worked a bunch with the 165 AB and the 180 AB's in my 300WSM and a buddies. I also started tinkering with 200's. Going to start diving into them a little more this year. Really can't beat any of them to be honest and the good old 180 PT going around 3000 is going to hammer everything. What kinda game are you shooting?

Elk and larger, 180's or above, deer, 165's will work like lightening and lessen the recoil some.

Main concern is not much downrange power, but more wind drift for those unpredictable long range shots....

Until you are past 450 yards or so, you won't have that much trouble. I need to carry my 300WSM more. This new one is unblooded, though the old one had taken quite a few head of game (mule deer, black bear, elk, moose) and all with 180 grain bullets.

FOTIS":3akleyzt said:
180 grain AB at 3050 fps.

Fotis, what is your load for 3050? Just wondering, as I am going to relook at my load and get back with the 300WSM soon to get a good load worked up. I got about 3030 with RL19, just wondering if you have a good one I haven't investigated yet..

Ok Looks like 66 gr H4350. As far as reloader 22 goes about 68-69 gr. Please start low work up slow/

FOTIS":1gtd8owh said:
Ok Looks like 66 gr H4350. As far as reloader 22 goes about 68-69 gr. Please start low work up slow/

No worries, always do. Might have to try some IMR4350 as well... Then again, RL19 works pretty well and is pretty close...

Scotty,

Your velocity is close enough to that which Fotis reports to be explained by slight variations in chamber dimensions. Three thousand thirty is pretty good velocity.

I kinda figured as much Mike, just wondering. Seems like 3030 might have been pushing it a touch harder that I had too. Looking forward to working with it a little more soon.

I've almost always throttled back. In either of the 300WSMs I've owned, I got the best accuracy at velocities between 2950 and 3000. I could get higher velocities, but the accuracy was markedly degraded as I passed this harmonic. The difference in energy was insignificant at the ranges I normally shoot. Interestingly enough, when loading with the 165-168 grain bullets for others, I find the best accuracy substantially below maximum velocity. It isn't a matter of a small difference, but a significant difference. I haven't the time to really think this through, but there must be some interesting physics at play to generate this reproducible observation on such a wide variety of platforms.

Mike,
I have found that both of my wsm's like that range also. They opened up when I went higher. Settled at 64 grains of imr4350
Russ

Back