300WM Elk in Timber Crusher?

Some 7828, 22, 26, 25, H1000 or similar will move a 200 Partition out nicely. I don’t expect you’ll have much trouble finding a good load.

Scotty-you have one of those Hunters Edge McMillan stocks, on a similar rifle...so a question. If I put this 300WM Mesa in a Hunters Edge McMillan, would it be too muzzle heavy or is it that noticeable?

preacher":2b359g5l said:
Scotty-you have one of those Hunters Edge McMillan stocks, on a similar rifle...so a question. If I put this 300WM Mesa in a Hunters Edge McMillan, would it be too muzzle heavy or is it that noticeable?

I’m not sure what you’d gain to be honest Jim. Unless the stock on your Mesa is different than the stocks on the Ridgeline. My 300 RUM Ridgeline is 26 ounces and as light as the current EDGE filled stocks. If you just want a different profile that fits you better I’d say go for it, but if it’s for weight savings I’d say weigh your current stock to make sure you’re not buying the same thing.

I like the stock on my Ridgeline. Just needs a 3/4” of extra LOP for me. This year I’ll pull it off, get it lengthened and painted. I carried the big 300 up and down in Idaho for five days and I think it’s a pretty good hunting rifle and it’s very accurate.

Thanks pard, I was pondering that very thing! For the price of that McMillan stock, heck, I'd rather buy an extra rifle! :) I love the way the Mesa factory stock fits me...perfect. :)

I think I'll start with R26 and N560 with the Nosler 200PT. Anyone have a load for the 240 Woodleigh for 2400-2500 at the muzzle?

I heard back from McMillan on the compatibility of the Mesa ( Mod 700 Clone) with their drop in Model 700 stocks. No dice, has to be a Special Order. Not to worry, ain't doing it now. :) But good to know...

Hey there Alpine...in your .270s, do you prefer the 150 or 160 Partition? Or does it matter? ha I have a load with R26/160PT that is a screamer in the .270, should be dang near equal to 7mm Rem Mag factory 160s. I bet that sucker would penetrate! :)

Well I didn't start with either R26 nor N560...instead, I loaded up the 200NP with H4831 and R23. I wanted temp stable ( for cold) and not worried about the fastest load. I am shooting these tomorrow, hopefully over a chronograph too. I will post my results of (a) did it kick me out from under my earmuffs and (b) were they accurate. :)

Just got back from the range. First of all, recoil was no worse than the hot 150 TTSX load, IOW, no bad at all. This Mesa handles recoil super good! This rifle has a tight chamber and the new Jagmann brass is pretty thick, so Max was reached quickly. 72gr of H4831sc is choice. Three shots went to my aim point in a .95" cluster! R23 had its best load at 71gr, with a .43" there shot cluster, but 2" away. I could use it, but I like the fact that the H4831 load is spot on and I don't have to make allowance for that 2" up and left of my hold. Plus, I really don't "need" a 200gr "varmint load", ha. My load workup for this rifle is now complete! I will try and chrono next time, range too full this round. Hot dog! Love this Mesa!

Back