.338 Lapua

Chris338378

Beginner
Nov 10, 2008
My Brother's girlfriend bought him a Weatherby Accumark in .338 Lapua for Christmas and I'm elected to load for it. I was thinking about starting off with either the 200 or 225 grain Accubonds because he's going to be using it for deer and his longest shots will be around 200 yards max, he doesn't need any match grade heads, and doesn't want to use hollow points. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with either of these heads? Also how's the recoil on the Lapua, I'm thinking it's not going to be much more than a .340 Weatherby Magnum.

I run the 250 gr AB in my 338 RUM at 3000 fps.
It's very effective on deer so long as you stay off the shoulders. Your brother might want to consider running
the same 250 gr AB in his Lapua. It will work very nicely on deer.

JD338

I second the 250 grain AccuBond. I run mine at 2925 FPS. I've shot elk at distances from 30 yards to 481. Typically achieving complete penetration.
I'd stay away from the lighter weights in that cannon, and yes you will "feel" 250 grain at 3000 FPS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would stay away from the lighter weights and try like the others stated 250gr Accubonds or the 265gr ABLR. The 265 is what I’ll try in mine next , currently I am using Nosler’s 300gr CC. Depending on weight overall recoil is mild if brake is left on , mine weighs in at 16.5lbs and feels like a 308.

Overall is this a real picky round to load for meaning does it generally group a variety of powders and head combinations well or does it end to like just one or two specific combinations?

A very decent cartridge for hand loaders. It is a well-mannered cartridge, in my experience, digesting a variety of powders and/or bullets.

Try the 225 or 250 AccuBond or the same in Partitions. My 338-378 Accumark hates every boat tail ---so far.

Thanks for the info. FOTIS, my Accumark .338-378 likes the 200 grain Accubonds and Combined Technologies Ballistic Silver Tips. The load I'm using is a 215 Federal Gold Medal primer and 112.0 grains of RL-25. I got this load from Nosler when I got my Accumark when the first came out and I called Nosler to get some loads because there was no published loads.

Welcome to the forum Chris, these guys will steer you straight reloading for the Lapua.

Sent you a PM

Back