45-70 405 grain Kodiaks 1600FPS

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
Alaska100 sent me some of the 405 grain and 350 grain Kodiaks. Very nice bullets and seem to be made for Alaska sized critters. New bullets always make me a little giddy, so I loaded up 10 of them to take the range. I verified my POI at 25 yards, and it was spot on with the same load of 40 grains of RL7, CCIBR2 and Starline cases.. My same cast bullet load runs 1600FPS.

So I lined up 9 jugs, put up a piece of scrap behind jug number. I wasn't sure what to expect from them, sometimes they expand a whole lot and some others, well, they don't expand much at all.

You can see from the picture the carnage left behind from this bullet. It sailed through the 9 jugs and bounced off the wood and was laying next to jug #9..

Not an awful lot of expansion, but it is my thinking, a 45-70 doesn't really need expansion, just a nice FP and they will destroy pretty much everything in it's path.

Then, after I was done with the jugs I took three shots at 200 yards in order to see how they hit compared to my 405 cast bullets.. POI was identical and low and behold, I found one of them in the dirt behind the backstop. They grouped into about 4 inches or so at 200 yards, pretty well at my normal accuracy levels of the hardcast as well. They could really be interchanged with the hardcast in the 45-70 without worries..

Not too much weight loss either....

So if anyone is looking for a bullet that'll most likely never be found in an animal, this might be a decent one. Pretty impressive bullet. Thanks again for the bullets Sean.

Very nice Scotty and I sure like the looks of that rifle. That is one lever action I have always pined for!

David, I LOVE my 1895.. It is one of those rifles that handle excellent and shoots way better than you would think.

Nice. Those will penetrate into tomorrow.
Great bullet for black timber elk and moose.

JD338

I shot my .356 loaded with 250 grain Kodiaks into wet cardboard on one occasion. The bullet penetrated thirty-six inches of wet cardboard and was lost. A 175 grain Partition shot from a 7mm RM was stopped at about twenty inches. The Kodiaks, especially in larger calibres, do penetrate. I've never recovered one from game yet.

I ran a 350 Kodiak into some jugs today. I'll start a new thread later on when I get a chance and post the results.

I was very pleased.

I used to use the 405 kodiak sand 322 in my guide gun for 1925 fps. That bullet is unstoppable. I shot thru a 2' spruce tree with that load. Feel free to push that bullet as hard as you want

Back