Africa Bound

Desert Fox

Handloader
Aug 14, 2006
Just finished reloading for the 375 and the 300. All my 22 years of reloading experience is riding on these loads. I've done every trick in the book to make these load as identical or at least close to it as possible. These ammo should perform flawlessly and so are the rifles. From looking at all these bullets, I'm wondering, which one of these will draw the first blood?

Picture003-2.jpg

Congratulations. The anticipation of hearing your report of the hunt in Africa will be a part of many of those posting on the forum. Those cartridges look as if they will get the job done. What quarries are you looking for in Africa?

Desert Fox, from your past work and results of your shooting, it will not make any difference which one of those you use, it will get the job done. You have my best wishes and you will never forget your trip as the black continent (not named that because of the black man) will create pictures and events to be found no where on earth.

Your post has brought back memories and events that still thrill my heart and cause me to want to seek another adventure. You will be in my prayers and both of you will have a blast.

Don't rush any part of the trip, nor your hunting and especially your shots and just be absorbed in all that Africa has to offer. God's speed and blessings be yours and I can't wait to hear of your adventure. bullet :grin:

Desert Fox

Congratulations on your upcoming safari. Can you share with us some of the details such as where you are going, your PH, and the game you are going to hunt?

The loads you have look great and should work flawlessly for you.
I wish you a safe and memorable journey and look forward to hearing about your safari upon your return.

JD338

Desert Fox

Congrats on your upcomming trip. Can't wait to hear the stories upon your return !
Good luck and be safe .........

Can you share with us some of the details such as where you are going, your PH, and the game you are going to hunt?

Thanks JD,

We're booked with Sadaka Safari in RSA. We will be hunting the North East Africa around Limpopo province. We will be after plains game. The animals in the menu are, Kudo, Blue Wildebeast, Impala, Zebra, Gemsbok, Warthhogs, Steenbuck or Duiker.

You will be in my prayers and both of you will have a blast.

Thanks Mark,

I have a feeling that the 375 will draw the first blood. Frank and I decided that all larger games will be taken with the 375. The rifle shoots really tight and consistent now after my gunsmith tuned and lapped the barrel. I have settled with 83.5 grains of IMR 4350 to propell the 235 TSX at around 3070 fps. At 150 yards, the bullet will have an impact energy will over 3500 ft/lbs.

Congratulations. The anticipation of hearing your report of the hunt in Africa will be a part of many of those posting on the forum.

Thanks DrMike,

I'll sure will be posting the result of my hunt here... good and bad :)

WOW! I guess you guys are loaded to take most of the animals in the Limpopo!!! That is a lot of rounds!!! AND THEY LOOK BEAUTIFUL!!!

Good luck in your adventure and have great fun!

Now, I'm sure you've done your homework, but just a reminder...(If I am correct on this)....I hear that all ammo will need to be in factory ammo box's. My buddy had some problems with this a few years ago. As long as you match the caliber to the box, you shouldn't have any problems.

From whay my buddy has told me, they just check to see your ammo box matches your gun and most often will just open the ammo box's out of curiosity, as if they are gun lovers....that type of thing.

I've never been to Africa, but plan on going within the next few years. And your caliber choices are the same as mine.

Good luck, friend, have a great trip.

DF, good luck on the hunt. Be safe, shoot straight. You will have a wonderful time.

russ808":30lbfll6 said:
DF, good luck on the hunt. Be safe, shoot straight. You will have a wonderful time.

Thanks Russ, I sure will! DF

Now, I'm sure you've done your homework, but just a reminder...(If I am correct on this)....I hear that all ammo will need to be in factory ammo box's. My buddy had some problems with this a few years ago. As long as you match the caliber to the box, you shouldn't have any problems.

Thanks, Colin,

The PH told us that we can carry up to 60 rounds for each caliber, in a sealed and lock metal container. You think with the number of hunters trekking to Africa every year they should be a little more lax with the regulation.

Good luck Fox. It looks like you'll be ready for anything. Remember, we like pics... :grin:

Please post lots of pictures of your game, smiles, and guns upon your return! I'm sure it will be awesome!

DF, you ARE gonna have a real good time. Take extra money for extra animals and enjoy every bit of it :grin: :grin: :grin:

DF I hunted that region a few years ago. It is very brusshy country and the longest shot I had offered was about 200 yards. We shipped all of our ammo in 20 round plastic MTM cases taped shut, then put that inside a plastic lockable ammo container with a bunch of other stuff. My brother took 40 rounds for his 308 and I took 40 for my 338 WM. We had a blast. If I had to do it all over again I would of brought more money and shot another wart hog, a bush buck, and a zebra or a gemsbuck. I ended up taking a very nice impala, a warthog, a kudu, and a very nice old blue wildabeast. My bro shot a niala, and a 40+" gemsbuck. It is truely a hunt of a life time.

It took me over a year to get my mounts back. I got them mounted over there, some of them were really nice and some of them looked like the guy dranks a fifth of scotch whiskey before he mounted them. The extra money spent for the museum quality is worth every penny.

Good luck and shoot streight!

Yahoo and congrats. Wow a trip to Africa :grin: Every hunters dream. Take alot of pictures for us dreamers and HAVE FUN!!!
Oh ya, Shoot some trophys too!
Great Hunting
Greg

I'd like to add my congratulations on such fine rounds and wish you the very best of luck on your trip!! I hope to one day make it over there with my .338 WM and have a go at a few of those plains game. :grin:

Have fun!!

Back