Alliant powder supplies in the US?

Rockymtnx

Beginner
Oct 12, 2010
Just curious to what the supply of Alliant powder is like in the US? Here in Canada it is almost non-existent. 98% of retailers here haven't received any for sometime now. I snagged up all the R-25 & Unique I could find, but still need some R-15. I sure hope we see some come north soon.

If you find any RL15, grab it! I'm told that we can expect a shipment perhaps in late summer or early fall. I will be ordering a 5 lb jug of RL15, RL17 and RL19.

I just scored 3lbs of RL15 the last time I was in a local gun store. I haven't seen RL15 on the shelves or for sale in over a year.

RL25, 17, 19 and 22 have been pretty easy to get, most of the time..

I spend a lotta time looking here on USA sites and it is getting worse as far as the frequency of it being available as if it could get worse? I used to spend a lotta time driving from 1 store to the next but all that has stopped as it's actually cost more in gas than paying hazmat ? But as mentioned we are not seeing much of it and I think I have seen 2 shipments since first of the year and of course the 1 Lb jugs is always all you can get as the 8 Lb jugs are first to go! Not sure when components will come back but it seems it will be back when we get 22 ammo :lol:

Just as I was posting the above message powder was on 2 or 3 sites and it flew off faster than I could post it was in stock! I hope someone got something ? Boy did it go fast?

I've been seeing it in stock quite often lately at the online retailers but it goes out of stock very fast. I just picked up a 5 lb jug of RL-22 and two 1lb jugs of RL-15. My friend attempted to make a purchase if same less than 30 min later and they were both sold out.

Geez must be nice to see something I haven't seen a thing in over a year. Saw 2# of MRP in Reno at Cabelas. That's the only powder I've seen in a year!!!

nvbroncrider":2kdvyrim said:
Geez must be nice to see something I haven't seen a thing in over a year. Saw 2# of MRP in Reno at Cabelas. That's the only powder I've seen in a year!!!

Did you get the MRP? Good stuff!

Sad to say but I strongly feel that components will do the same as factory ammo and never return to normal prices but hope I am wrong but I have noticed over the past couple years no factory ammo has gotten cheaper that I have noticed!

Ah, the USA--land of cheap components. Wait until you see prices like $43/lb for ReLoder powders. I said I'd never pay exorbitant prices for powder; but I lied. Addictions will do that.

Sounds like you guys in the south are in the same boat as us guys in Canada. :(

DrMike":12u3xh0y said:
Ah, the USA--land of cheap components. Wait until you see prices like $43/lb for ReLoder powders. I said I'd never pay exorbitant prices for powder; but I lied. Addictions will do that.
If I could find some R-15 I'd gladly pay $43/lb LOL!

Rockymtnx":i85gzq7b said:

DrMike":i85gzq7b said:

Roger that.

Rockymtnx":2cocwmix said:

DrMike":2cocwmix said:

I paid 30.00 for the few lbs I was able to grab and was happy to dish out the money.. RL15 is one of my staples.. Really tough to keep this addiction rolling without one of your favorites!

One local place had 10 five lb jugs of R17 for 120. I grabbed one. Another had about 20 one lb cans of Bullseye, Unique, and 1200R. They were $20 each.

I have checked every site that I know of trying to obtain RL15 but to date I have not been very successful :(. I just can't believe that we can't get it imported here in Canada.
I believe that we are going to see $40.00 per lb. real quickly here. I just picked up that IMR7828ssc last week and with my 10% discount I paid 72.00 :evil:. But I guess it is like any addiction you pay if you want it.

Blessings,
Dan

Add much as I like the reloader powders and many others I have since very recently switched to mostly western powders. Mostly ramshot. Reason being is availability and price. I have recently secure a connection with the lead ballistician at western powders. Come to find I have known him for some time and didn't know what he did. Now I can get western powders and data readily. I do really like the way they shoot. As for temperature stability they are top notch. Asking Keith about it he said all powders vary. Even the most temperature insensitive. He said that all of his testing has shown that if you can run western powder to 100% case capacity or even slightly compressed they are phenomenal powders for temperature stability. And so far my rifles have loved the powder.

I like the Ramshot powders but they have been non existent here, some AA powders have been showing up regularly. AA No. 2 and No. 7 have been reliable along with a couple rifle powders.

The Ramshot powders in 1lb'ers are available here. I have been wanting to try some Hunter in my 338 Win Mag, but just haven't grabbed any yet. I don't mind getting 1lb's for testing, but I wanna be able to get into 5 or 8 lb'ers if I like it. Haven't seen many 8lb'ers of Ramshot stuff for awhile.

I guess I must be blessed because the sporting goods store I patronize has just about all the Alliant powders with the exception of RL-15 and prices are still under $29 for a one pound canister.

Happy Shooting
Ryan46

Back