Alliant powder supplies in the US?

Just bought 2 lbs of RL 15 here today at $50 per pound plus taxes :shock: There are many good things about living in the sticks but pricing on powder isn't one of them :x

gerry":2mci6q0o said:
Just bought 2 lbs of RL 15 here today at $50 per pound plus taxes :shock: There are many good things about living in the sticks but pricing on powder isn't one of them :x

Ouch! However, I am somewhat envious, Gerry.

I left one pound there for someone else. This shop knows they are the only one in town and they take advantage of that, however in this time of shortages I bought it. Should work fine with 250's in my Whelen when I work with them again. Usually I buy from Nechako Sports in Vanderhoof, if I buy 2 lbs of powder it is cheaper to have it shipped here than if I buy it locally.

gerry":34qkaad1 said:
I left one pound there for someone else. This shop knows they are the only one in town and they take advantage of that, however in this time of shortages I bought it. Should work fine with 250's in my Whelen when I work with them again. Usually I buy from Nechako Sports in Vanderhoof, if I buy 2 lbs of powder it is cheaper to have it shipped here than if I buy it locally.

I hear that. I buy a minimum of ten pounds at a time to cut down on shipping costs when I can find what I need.

gerry at $50.00 per lb. you can only use 1 bullet groups to sight in :mrgreen:!
I am just kidding but that is scary!!

Blessings,
Dan

I heard, or read, somewhere that Alliant was concentrating on supplying manufacturers with powder and that us reloaders were to get the leftovers.

That doesn't sit well with me so i try to use other powders that are easier to get and seem to support us little guys.

Vince

Picked up a pound of RL-15 yesterday at a reasonable price. The store had several pounds available, but I didn't need all of them. Left those for someone else.

Noticed they also had quite a few one-pound jugs of RL-25, which I've never used.

Fortunately I'm decently stocked with my two favorite Hodgdon powders; Varget & H4350. Haven't seen any H4350 in quite a while. A year maybe?

Agree that Ramshot Hunter is an excellent powder! Am starting to use it more and more in the .30-06, and wish I had more than a couple of pounds of it.

Am seeing quite a bit of IMR 7828. Am wondering if people have just turned away from that good old slow burning powder or what? Doesn't seem to be any problem finding it, and it would be useful for me in both the .300 WSM and the .25-06 cartridges. I haven't used it in 20+ years, but it treated me well long ago.

These days I'm not so picky about the powder. See something that will be useful, grab it. But I haven't taken more than what I consider my share. Leaving some on the shelf for the other guys.

Funny that I'm more willing to load and plink with my center-fires than I am to burn up .22 long rifle ammo anymore...

Guy

Guy, I think some of the powder situation is regional. I have a good supply of IMR 4350 but can't find IMR 4831. My buddy, across the country, is just the opposite.
Vince

Stopped by Bass Pro Shop in Concord, NC yesterday morning...they had six, one pound jugs each of 15, 17, 19, and 22...marked at $39.99/pound. However, they didn't have much else of anything.

JEEZZUUSS!! 39.99 a lb! That is CRAZY! Wow, yeah, you could order online and pay the hazmat and probably still come out cheaper. That is nuts.

Had I been there, I might have snagged the RL15, 17 & 19 and kept my grumbling to myself. I have a good supply of RL22.

Mike I will have to agree with you. If we want it we are going to have to pay the price :evil:.
There is not much around Regina right now. However I have been told that this shortage is not going to last much longer. Not sure what or who to believe anymore :shock:!

Blessings,
Dan

I was cautioned that on the ReLoder series not to expect any arriving in Dawson Creek before the first of the year. I'm not in bad shape if I don't use any for any customers. I'm well set with RL22 as I picked up a couple of five pound jugs last year. They will permit me to continue working on customers' rifles for some time.

nvbroncrider":145kzsxs said:
Geez must be nice to see something I haven't seen a thing in over a year. Saw 2# of MRP in Reno at Cabelas. That's the only powder I've seen in a year!!!

Honestly Cabelas here locally hasn't had more then 10 lbs. of powder at any one time when I've been in there, and usually less then that. But our locally owned sporting goods store usually has at least 10 different powders and more then 20 lbs. of each on hand. Not sure how a little company can constantly beat the bigger retailers but I know where I'll shop.

Funny that I'm more willing to load and plink with my center-fires than I am to burn up .22 long rifle ammo anymore...

Guy[/quote]

Not funny at all Guy. Until recently I would shoot pistols at my range in this order; 30 to 50 rounds with my M&P .40 S&W, maybe a couple of cylinders with my .44 Mag., then I'd shoot a bunch with my Ruger Stainless single six in .22 LR. The .22 really helps my shooting and I really like just burning powder with it. But now I am really stingy with the amount I shoot. Maybe 2-3 cylinders at the most. I am halfway into my last brick and just haven't found any .22lr to buy. I live 8 miles from town and 40 to 50 from larger towns so I don't get out enough to get lucky. I would never have believed you couldn't buy .22 ammo.
So, I shoot the centerfires more than my .22's. Not funny.
At least I can still get my hands on some good old IMR 4350, my go to powder for decades.
Plus I am well stocked on Black Powder, balls and flints for when society finally crashes and we are forced to hunt to eat.

Well you guys might crap on pants on this one, but the past 2 weeks I have phoned almost ever retailer I could think of in Western Canada. Thanks to a tip on here I was able to find one pound of R-15. I paid dearly for it though.... Including taxes and such it was $55.00 CND ($50.12 USD)

I pay extra in the small stores if I can find powder that I really need. The extra $6-10 a pound is in the mud compared to having no powder!

Oldtrader3":25kqkd8h said:
I pay extra in the small stores if I can find powder that I really need. The extra $6-10 a pound is in the mud compared to having no powder!

That just says it all!

Back