Alpen Optics

mj30wilson

Beginner
May 20, 2006
I just ordered a Alpen 745 spotting scope and a alpen kodiak 3-9 40 rifle scope does anyone have any expierience with this brand of optics? Good Service? Do these scopes compare to higher priced scopes which ones?

I contemplated going with a burris landmark 20x-60x with an 80mm objective. Was the alpen a bad choice? The burris was about $100.00 more and was not completely water or fogproof. The Alpen does have a 60mm objective but for target and short to midrange hunting I do not think this will be a problem. How about 1000 yard bullet holes through the 60mm though, is it sharp / bright?

I've looked through Alpen binoculars and spoting scopes at Sportsmans Warehouse. To my eyes they were similar to other products in their price range, kind of like a Winchester spotting scope or binoculars. If you hope to see bullet holes at 1000 yards, I hope they are REALLY big!!

MJ,

You can usually find reviews on the birding sites for most of the available spotting scopes and binos, as well as some direct comparisons. I looked at a couple, and it sounds like Alpen is doing OK with glass imported to their specifications. Their warranty looks good on those covered by the lifetime warranty.

I like betterviewdesired.com, and the Cornell birding site is excellent too.

A big part of your satisfaction will be determined by what you try to do with the scopes. How do you intend to use them?

jim

As far as features and glass do they compare to nikon leupold burris etc. Swarovskis are probably far better but I did not feel like selling a kidney. I target shoot to 600 yards and deer hunt out to a max of 1000yds I need to see antlers so my rifle can take care of business. This past year I shot a buck that was barely legal looking through my 3-9 leupold.

To my eyes, what I looked through, the glass was not as clear as the names you mentioned. I do not believe you will be able to see bullet holes with this scope at 600 yards. 200 yes, and 300 might be a streach.

I with you on Swarovski...nice scopes, but unless we see the exchange rate around 4 euro's to the dollar, I'll never be able to afford one.....

mj30wilson":1m5job1r said:
I just ordered a Alpen 745 spotting scope and a alpen kodiak 3-9 40 rifle scope does anyone have any expierience with this brand of optics? Good Service? Do these scopes compare to higher priced scopes which ones?

I contemplated going with a burris landmark 20x-60x with an 80mm objective. Was the alpen a bad choice? The burris was about $100.00 more and was not completely water or fogproof. The Alpen does have a 60mm objective but for target and short to midrange hunting I do not think this will be a problem. How about 1000 yard bullet holes through the 60mm though, is it sharp / bright?
........Forget about seeing any bullet holes at 1000 yards with your Alpen or just about all spotters for that matter............I have an Alpen spotter, the 20-60x80 (angled) without the ED glass, what they call the 788 pkg if I`m not mistaken.

I paid $392 which included the bench tripod and the soft case. Internally, it is identical to the 20-60x80 Vortex Skyline (non ED). The reason I chose the Alpen was because their headquarters is in So. Cal. where I live. Very convenient for any warranty issues should they occur as I can go straight to the source.

For the bucks, it`s a very good set-up. It has the built in sunshade which pulls out. The bench tripod is a real nice HD one which micro adjusts for elevation and for side to side adjustments. Optics are clear and bright. Set on the 60x my bullet holes can easily be seen at 200 yards. However, using splatter targets make viewing much easier to spot holes.

It more than serves my purposes, which is for range duty only. It is certainly too big and heavy for any practical field use.

You get what you pay for. This is especially true in optics.

As far as optics are concerned, whether a spotter, a bino or a riflescope, price is usually the best and first indicator to judge quality.

Sometimes though, you can shop around and find a deal on a real good optic and pay less.

I just found NIB binos with all accessories that normally sell for $548, for just under $400; 8X32 Pentax SP.............Not too bad.

mj30wilson":3ipvjh6n said:

We checked into their optics since they're listed as a CA company but all of their optics are made in China so we decided to forget it. Bushnell has gone to the china source.

I ended up sending it back it was made in china and only designed here. It looked and felt so cheap and had plastic knobs that looked like they would break in a week. Glass was ok but not for the price. I do not recommend this scope to anyone.

Back