Another Beretta

Vince2

Handloader
Jan 21, 2022
Got a Beretta M9A4 G FDE coming next week.

I never much cared for Berettas but you can say I’ve become a fan. I’m planning to put a red dot on this one. I’ve really started to like the DA/SA.

I guess I’m just a little behind the times. These DA/SA guns were all the rage thirty years ago. I’ll post a pic or two when I get it.

Vince

Picked up the aforementioned Beretta today and will post a pic in the next week.

I also have to change out the recoil spring and trigger on my other Beretta 9mm. I’m thinking I’ll just carry this one as I can put a red dot optic on it.

The M9A4 has metal parts, trigger, recoil spring guide rod, and other various parts so no need to play gunsmith with this one. Not only can I put a red dot on it but the safety lever only serves as a decocker so I won’t inadvertently have it on safe when I need it to make a loud noise.

Another thing I really like about this model is the front and backstrap checkering and flat mainspring housing. If it was a 1911 it would be called the mainspring housing but I’m not sure what Beretta calls it. I think it’s just called the grip frame but I’m too tired to care right now.

Also got some Buffalo Bore hardcast loads being delivered for the .41 Maggie. I suspect they are going to sting a little.

Vince

Last edited:
Yes, if I recall correctly, the manual of arms I was taught for this series was to load, engage the safety/ decocker, then disengage, and holster. For the record, I do NOT like the was a decocker drops the hammer, on this or on any other firearm. It just makes my skin crawl.

Yes, if I recall correctly, the manual of arms I was taught for this series was to load, engage the safety/ decocker, then disengage, and holster. For the record, I do NOT like the was a decocker drops the hammer, on this or on any other firearm. It just makes my skin crawl.
I prefer a decocker as opposed to lowering the hammer with your thumb or other appendages.

The gun should be pointed in a safe direction before manipulating the decocker so even if it goes off everyone is safe.

Vince

There are some Walther PPK's from WW2 that were altered so that when you used the drop hammer feature on the gun, you got a nasty surprise. I understatnd that a lot of Walther wartime issue P38s also were alters in a like manner.

There are times when I carry a PPK/s .380 or a .32 PP as they're easier to conceal than the S&W M60. The PPL/s is a Walther and the PP a Manhurin licensed by Walther to make the guns in France. It took me a while before I got used to the drop hammer safety. Interesting, as I have a Taurus PT99, same as the PT92 except the 99 has adjustable sights. AS the Taurus is basically a Beretta with modifications, the two I notices is beretta magazine will not work in the Taurus and the safety works exactly like a 1911 Colt. Nice gun but the trigger pull on double and single action are atrociously heavy.
Paul B.

Back