Baked Hominy with Cheese

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
Thinking about food has made me hungry. And each time I get hungry, I begin to think of my roots. Hominy is hard to find in Canada, so each time we travel to the states we build a new survival kit which will include a variety of foodstuffs that are hard to find in northern British Columbia. We don't have a lot of hominy left, so I'll be compelled to make a trip to the states shortly. One recipe with hominy that has become a hit is baked hominy with cheese.

You will need:

3 tbsp butter
6 tbsp flour
salt
pepper
1/2 tsp dry mustard
2 c milk
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp grated onion
1/2 lb Canadian Cheddar, grated (Hey, I work with what I have. Any good cheddar will work, obviously)
2 - 14 1/2 oz cans hominy, drained
1/3 c dry seasoned bread crumbs

Melt the butter; add flour, salt and dry mustard, and as much salt and pepper as you like. Blend these together. Gradually add the milk and while stirring constantly cook over a low heat until the mixture is thick. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce, onion and cheese. Place the drained hominy in a 1 1/2 qt. greased casserole. Pour the cheese sauce over the hominy. Sprinkle the bread crumbs on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

This dish goes very well with elk steaks fresh off the grill. I can't wait for summer.

going to try this very soon. I love hominy. this is close to a dish i cook with grits.

OK Dr. Mike, I'm going to bite the bullet & embarass the hell out of myself :? What is hominy :roll: Sure sounds good.

bobbyrum":f5enmrjr said:
OK Dr. Mike, I'm going to bite the bullet & embarass the hell out of myself :? What is hominy :roll: Sure sounds good.

Don't feel bad, I don't know what hominy either. :?

It's also what we make grits out of. But it's better. Guess you could call it grits for us southerners who still have all or most of our teeth! :lol:

Okay, Bobbyrum and RR, do you know what hominy is now? It is an acquired taste, but I do love it. A favourite of mine is heating hominy with cheese sauce and picante sauce. Obviously, I enjoy cheese, but this baked hominy was especially good. It is worth a try if you haven't had it before. If you manage to make it through Dawson Creek, I'll whip up some hominy for you.

DrMike,

Thanks for posting this..... I made it tonight and it's GREAT !
I'm a cheese fan myself..... Thinking next go around I may attempt a twist there with some fiesta style cheese & some sort of salsa ..

Thanks again !

Powerstroke,

Spicing this up with some salsa and fiesta flavour cheese sounds like a great idea! We had hominy with cheese and Pace's picante this evening with some minute steaks. It was a quick supper and a favourite in our house.

Back