Base layers

Icebreaker and Smart Wool merino wool for me. I'm probably just going to go back to fleece for long john's since the merino wool blows out in the knees too easily. Love it for everything else though. Maybe someone else has a better option other than fleece for the long john's.

I wore Under Armor in Alaska under my waders, prefer merino wool for elk hunting. Typically don’t wear base layers during deer season, perhaps a merino wool top if its cool.

I use Under Armour for a base layer and wool.
It's quiet and warm.

JD338

All merino under layers for me. I overheat easily and it seems to have a temperature regulation property to it.

I've had the same few sets of Scentlok merino wool base layer for 3 years and have been quite happy with them. Mine are medium weight. I use Tide free and gentle detergent on gentle cycle and either air dry outside, or the "air only" setting on the dryer. So far, so good as far as holding up and keeping me warm and the moisture wicked away.. Also have matching socks.

They might be a little pricey, but I really like Duckworth, made in the USA. I have a set of their maverick , which is merino and lighter and their comet which is heavier, it is a hybrid wool/ polyester. I also started using Appalachian Gear Company alpaca hoodies/ crews as a mid layer last year. Very warm, also made in the USA. As far as socks, Darn tough hunter socks are tough to beat, plus have a lifetime warranty. I have worn out quite a few pair and they have replaced every one, no questions asked.

Probably cheap wool polypro blend, but w/ my lousy circulation, I wear it a LOT. Especially this far north....CL

I have Pnuma top and bottom was wondering if there is anything better. I like them. adm1977 i agree on the Darn tough socks . Only socks i've ysed that keep my feet warm and i tried a lot of them.

I use and like the Cabela's Polar Weight E.C.W.C.S. base layer. I have both uppers and lowers and they work very well for me.

I wear the Cabelas base layers . I have a few sets of these , in different temp ratings , medium , cold , and extreme .

I use First Light merino with zip off bottoms most of the time, its some of the softest. I also use Kuiu merino with zip off bottoms.

I use and like the Cabela's Polar Weight E.C.W.C.S. base layer. I have both uppers and lowers and they work very well for me.
I've had the ECWS bibs and matching 3-in-1 parka for about 12 years, and it's a great set.

Back