Best tasting wild game

yukon huntress":whiu5cdy said:
Like the Grizzly, the taste and texture vary from animal to animal and they are no where close to the best tasting wild game in my opinion, but Gil, Dr Mike and Hodgeman may disagree with me

My single experience with grizzly meat wasn't all that hot, it might have been a one off but I'm not anxious to give it another go. Griz also tend to die hard and that's generally tough meat.

My general impression is that the more varied the diet of the animal in question the more varied the flavors possible. For omnivorous bears its such a wide range of flavors that predicting what one will taste like is probably only possible by watching it feed. The griz I sampled had been snarking down caribou gut piles for a solid month. That'd do it I think. That last polar bear I saw had his head in the gut of a bloated whale...I think I'd pass.

Spruce hens in another example- in the fall when they are feeding on berries they are quite good, but in the winter they eat almost exclusively spruce tips and taste a little like turpentine.

I didn't give the wolf I shot a try. It was all I could do to get through skinning it. Eating a piece never even crossed my mind....and when it comes to cuisine I'm pretty open minded for a guy from TN.

#1 Young elk ( or old elk putting on weight)
#2 Whitetail around corn or soybean fields
#3 Mountain Muley
#4 Sage Muley

Exotics:
#1 Axis
#2 Eurasian hogs
#3 Oryx/Gemsbuck
$3 Feral hogs in corn/soybeans

Food for Middle Eastern POWs....any kind of sheep with Aoudad at the top.....eeeewwwwhhh!

In my book, nothing beats Hungarian partridge in a delicate wine cream and morel sauce. Young of the year pheasant would be a close second. As for big game, give me Northern prairie antelope.

in rereading these responses it looks like the

Dall gets the most votes
Followed very closely by Moose and Bison
and then Elk

I was also pleasantly surprised to see that most people preferred to hunt these animals with a Win 71 348--very cool

I was not surprised to see that only one person mentioned Rat. You have got to be kidding me !!!! I could probably convince Dr mike and Hodgemam to try walrus easier than Rat.

I dunno, Cheyenne. My wife nearly left me over rat. I came home from the lab on one occasion and casually mentioned that a colleague had offered me a recipe for Sweet and Sour Rat. I was killing 200 rats each Friday. These fine beasties had been delivered by Caesarean birth, raised under laboratory conditions and fed nothing but the finest feeds. My wife's response? "The day you bring a rat home, you don't have a home." In fairness to her, she has eaten seal with me. Canned seal isn't bad when flaked and served on a salad or as a sandwich spread.

So Dr. Mike,

You did not say but I suppose that you chose your wife's wishes rather than rat? :>)

c. schutte":19wagma9 said:
So Dr. Mike,

You did not say but I suppose that you chose your wife's wishes rather than rat? :>)

Well, we're approaching fifty years of marriage. Guess she got her way, after all. :mrgreen: Still wonder about that recipe though. :?

The best wild game I have ever had is blacktail deer from Kodiak Island. It's mild and tender.

The worst wild game is mallard ducks...from Kodiak Island. Who would have known they feed on dead salmon? I stank up my entire apartment complex cooking that rank crap.

Blackmail is very good, shame thier so little meat on them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thebear_78":o8hcd5bb said:

Yeah, and blacktail isn't bad, either. :lol:

I think bear went to the same school and had the same spelling teacher you and April had Dr Mike

ps, btw DR Mike, I enjoyed your story about you and your wife and also "50 years"--congratulations

yukon huntress":ezpm9oo9 said:
I think bear went to the same school and had the same spelling teacher you and April had Dr Mike

ps, btw DR Mike, I enjoyed your story about you and your wife and also "50 years"--congratulations

He's from KS? :shock:

Thebear_78":ezpm9oo9 said:

Rotten spell check! :grin:

Since the good Dr is looking for "Tag Soup" recipes, hunts by Braille and waits to feel teeth or ??? before he shoots, it is no wonder that blackmail would strike his fancy too! LOL

Watch your step, Gil, or I'll "blackmail" you. :wink: Remember, I've seen you shoot. :lol:

Well we have gone from best tasting game to blackmail so what's next :lol: :mrgreen:
Rat burgers?

truck driver":3vu996z5 said:
Well we have gone from best tasting game to blackmail so what's next :lol: :mrgreen:
Rat burgers?

Well, there are people promoting "cane rats." :? I dunno', I value my marriage enough to avoid rats in any form. :mrgreen:

Back