Best way to set up FL die to partial FL?

CAhunter

Beginner
Sep 10, 2009
Hey guys! I have been seeing a few different ways to set a FL die up. I want to just size the neck and bump the shoulder back a few thousandths. How do most of you set up the die?

Thanks

CAhunter,

I dip the neck of the case in motor mica so I can see the datum line as the shoulder is moved. I am careful to avoid mixing "wet" lubricant and the motor mica. I set the die to just touch the shell holder. Then, size and look for the datum line on the neck. Adjust the die in small increments until the datum line is at the shoulder. Anticipating that each full turn of the die is approximately 0.025 inch, you should be able to approximate the amount you are setting back the shoulder. Check the case for for ease of chambering; when you just reach the point that it chambers without undue force, you are probably where you want to be. You can make the process easier by using an RCBS precision mic to more precisely measure the amount by which you set back the shoulder.

Smoke the neck and shoulder of the case with a match or candle. Start with the size die backed off the shell holder a ways. Raise the ram with the case in the shell holder and screw the size die down a little at a time checking by backing the case out of the die until I see how much of the neck is sized and where the shoulder has been bumped. It will scrape away the black left from the smoking and you can see exactly what is being sized.

take a case and punch a size bigger expander ball down the neck, lube the case start with the die high and resize, inspect the case, screw the die down a bit, when you get close try to chamber it after sizing, when you can just feel resistance closing the bolt, turn the die down 1/16th to 1/8th turn and lock it down.
As your brass becomes harder you may hafta screw it down a bit more to overcome the springback.
RR

I don't try to set the FL die to PFL until the cases get snug to bolt closure after being neck sized. Normally 4-5 firings and the case is snug. I measure to the datum with the Stoney Point Headspacing kit. Start with the FL die backed off the shell holder approximately 1/2 turn. I will have 10-12 cases lubed and only size a case one time during the setting. Measure to the datum line of each case. Size the first case and measure. move the die down, size case #2 and measure. Continue until I get the shoulder bumped 1-2 thousants and lock the ring. Size a couple more cases and measure to confirm.Rick.

Back