Cabelas Alaskan Guide Scopes

G

Anybody have any experience with these? I was thinking about one of the 30mm tube versions for a long range magnum gun I have. Are they bright and clear, or just average? How do they compare with other scopes on the market today?

(And please, don't everybody tell me to get a VXIII. I know they're good scopes, I just want to know what folks think of these. Besides, if I spend $550-600, I'm getting a Zeiss Conquest.)

Dubyam,

Just so happens that I asked that same question on another site a couple of weeks ago. There was a special sale last week for emergency personnel/police/etc. at Cabelas and I picked up two Alaskan Guide scopes, the 1" 3x9x40. While talking to one of the sales people, he told me that Burris and Leupold make the scopes for the company. Who knows, but I mounted it today on one rifle and its very clear and eye relief was good. Trying to make it to the range tomorrow to get it sighted in.

I notice you're in DFW area. How far is the Cabelas store from the airport there? I have a meeting there, near the airport, the first week of January. Would it be realistic to think I could cab it over to Cabelas and see the place, or is it way too far?

And certainly keep me posted on the scope and range time with it. I would love to get a good one at a bargain price, so I am always looking at options. I really like the Zeiss Conquest, but the 4.5-14x44 is nearly twice the price of the AG, and I wonder if I would be happy with the less expensive scope.

Cabelas is probably about 30-45 minutes away, depending on time of day and traffic, from the airport, near Texas Motor Speedway. I would think the taxi ride would be pretty expensive. I'm guessing aout 30 miles away.

I had one in the 3-12x50 with 30mm tube.. I got it because it was on a Rifle I bought. I wouldn't let my worst enemy buy one...

Complete opposite for me !
The majority of scopes I have are Leupolds, but I also have two Alaskan Guide scopes.......one on my .280 and one on my .300RUM, both one inch tubes. My buddy I hunt with has one on his .300Win, and another budy with a 30mm tube on his 22-250. Personally I think they are an awesome scope for the money, and wouldn't shy away from it what so ever.
I've taken several elk and deer with the .280 in very poor conditions without any issues.

Back