Cougar Attack

Scary situation for sure.
Don't know if the shots were intentionally missed.
Not sure what I would have done but thinking I would have fired a warning shot earlier but the second one would have been in the engine room.
I had a mountain lion follow me back to my truck one night. Creepy erie feeling. I had my flashlight in my left hand and Kimber 45 in my right hand.
I wasn't thinking about warning shots that night.

JD338

Good point Mike. The incident I mentioned above happened during our rifle deer season about 10 years ago. I had a rifle with me but it wasn't a good option for me. I have a crimson trace laser on my Kimber and being close quarters in thick cover, that is what I chose.
Guess we will never know all the details of what happened in the topic story.

JD338

We are prohibited from carrying a handgun here in the Great White North. I know people that do carry, but there is always some risk that they could be charged with a firearms violation. However, it is common to carry a rifle. I have encountered cougars in the wild, but I've never been stalked to my knowledge. I have been stalked by bears and I've had a few close encounters with the bruins.

A cougar can cover 30 feet in less time before you can react, this guy was lucky to fire off a couple rounds to keep him away. Seems he waited too long before he reacted, or was he more interested in filming the mountain lion stalking him instead of concentrating on valuing his life by doing what was needed to do earlier in the scenario by firing off a warning shot or two. I would not wait for him to stalk me for that amount of time, its very obvious what the cougar wanted in the beginning of the video, he wanted a meal.

It all worked out, but I for one don't think he handled it well at all. What did he think that cat's intentions were? They were exactly what the cat demonstrated just prior to the very first shot. I also don't think it was an intentional miss as evidenced by his elevated breathing prior to the attempted attack. This was not just another day at the office for him calm cool and collected..........and understandably so. Heck I might of missed him 4 times, but I'd of been firing long before that.

What do you think would've happened if he would've tripped or stumbled walking backwards through all that brush like that and fell on his back? Open opportunity and weakness that any predator would take immediate full advantage of. In my opinion that cat was CLOSE........you don't get footage from a cell phone with something looking that close to you, without it being REALLY close. I'd have been firing long before that, and not been worried about any cell phone footage, unless he knew what was fixing to happen and wanted it as evidence.

My guess is if he was indeed elk hunting, that he was archery hunting and carrying a sidearm as a just in case for any number of scenarios. As do I.

ST,
I agree with you on all accounts 100%.

JD338

I always think of an aggressive animal like this as bad if it’s allowed to live. What happens to the next person who may not be armed? While I agree they have their place in the food chain, once they lose their fear of humans it’s probably best they be dispatched.

I always think of an aggressive animal like this as bad if it’s allowed to live. What happens to the next person who may not be armed? While I agree they have their place in the food chain, once they lose their fear of humans it’s probably best they be dispatched.
S-S-S. CL

Back