Cow elk hunt

PJGunner

Handloader
Dec 11, 2010
Just got back from my old geezer's elk hunt with a nice cow elk in the freezer. I went with my two partners to the Vermejo Park ranch where we hunted for three days.

Day one we saw a couple of bulls but no cows. Things didn't look all that good as there hadn't been any snow lately to drive them down out of the high country and we were hunting between 7,000 to 9,000 feet MSL.

Day two one of my partners shot his elk with a 7MM Rem. Mag and a 160 gr. AccuBond. All he recovered of the bullet was the jacket. :?: He wasn't happy as he used that bullet last year and both worked as they were supposed to.
About a few hours later my other partner shot his cow with a .270 WSM shooting 150 gr. Sierra Game Kings, a beautiful one shot DRT. 8) Bullet exited and was not recovered. We decided to get both animals to the butcher's as it was getting warm and break for lunch. About 2:30 in the afternoon we went looking for my elk. Saw a couple more bulls but no cows.

Last day the guide picked me and one of my partners up at 5:15 in the A of M and we tried a different area in hopes of spotting some cow elk. A 6:50 AM I had mine on the ground although I sadly hit her a bit too far back and a second shot was required. :( I was using my lucky elk rifle, a custom Mauser in .35 Whelen and the 225 gr. Barnes TSX bullet. Naturally it was a complete pass though and not recovered. Gotta love that Whelen. :mrgreen:

One of my buddies has already booked for 2015 and I'll be doing so as soom as I pay off some of the expenses of this hunt. No need to ask what rifle will be going along. :lol:
Paul B.

Congratulations, Paul. Sounds like a very successful hunt. The Whelen barked and the elk dropped--can't get any better than that.

Congratulations. Nothing better than a freezer full of elk meat...except maybe a grill full of elk meat :grin:

Excellent job, thank you for the story. Your freezer should just about be full :wink:.

Blessings,
Dan

Great story Paul and you 3 were blessed to be able to hunt The Ranch as I know that was expensive, also blessed for taking the 3 elk to the butcher vs having 3 hanging in camp at the same time :mrgreen: NM has been without snow for quite a few years and what a beautiful place to get to hunt! NRA Whittington Center is also a cool place close by and worth the visit as they have lodging as well ! My neighbor goes to NM Bench Rest Championships and smokes everyone every year, Ed Adams he used to be Albuquerque COO or something like that and now runs Butch's reloading ! Congrat's on your success as not many can say the hunted Vermejo Ranch ! Very nice!!

Back