favorite yote bullets

mcseal2

Handloader
Nov 1, 2010
If this has been done over and over I apologize.

Yotes killed one of our calves this week and I've been on the warpath. I've killed 5 in our calving pastures since Monday, including one off his fresh calf kill. The calf's throat was torn out and the spray of blood on the grass made it obvious it was a kill, not a situation where they found a carcass. Also the calf was lying where there were no calves within a quarter mile the day before. It's naval was pretty dry and I'd guess it at a week old. I think the cow was just over the hill grazing and the calf tried to hide rather than running until it was to late. At least I killed one of the pair of yotes that did it.

Anyway, I'm always evaluating bullet performance when I shoot a yote and thought I'd share my favorites and see what others like best. I shoot alot of my coyotes while working and have to take whatever angle I'm offered and my bullet choices reflect that. A more fragile bullet makes more sense when calling and getting mostly head on or broadside shots, but I shoot lots of mine running away and need enough penetration to break them down from tough angles.

20 cal - I've had the best results from the 45gr Hornady. I've shot 13 yotes now with this bullet and every one has exited, but only 1 has left a large exit wound. Other bullets I've tried have seemed to fragile for my type of shooting. Their performance has mirrored that of the accubonds in larger calibers, quick opening but controlled expansion. This may not be the ideal bullet in thick cover either unless shoulder shots are taken. About half the yotes I've shot with this bullet have run 20-100yds after the shot before collapsing, similar to what big game does with accubonds.

22 cal - I've really never had a great favorite 22 cal. I had a 220 swift for a while, have had several 22-250's and still have one 223. They all worked great on broadside yotes and were easy to shoot well, just didn't work that great on tough angles. I always liked the 6mm's enough I didn't experiment as much as I should have with 22 cal's though. My favorite is probably the 55gr Sierra gameking, but they haven't always broke down a running dog on the first shot. I've never had a gun that would shoot the 60gr or heavier bullets well which is probably why I never fell in love with 22 centerfires for my type of coyote shooting.

243 cal - These are easily my favorite for coyotes. I've shot hundreds of coyotes with my 243's and 6mm's over the years. They have enough speed for flat shooting, enough BC for most wind, and enough bullet weight to break down a yote. The bullet I used for a long time, and the one that has given me the best all around performance on yotes is the 75gr V-max. These stomp yotes from any angle and seldom exit, plus are capable of good velocity. The bullet I currently use in my pet 6mm Rem coyote rifle is the 70gr BT. This bullet I rate slightly behind the 75gr V-max in terminal performance on tough angles, but it still works very well. I switched when Hodgdon came out with Superformance and their recommended load gained me 300fps over my 75gr V-max load with almost as good of accuracy. The extra velocity extends my MPBR enough to justify the switch for me. Not having to estimate range out to 350yds, just hold center and shoot, is priceless.
My favorite all-around bullet for the 6mm is the 100gr Sierra Gameking. They perform similar to accubonds, open fast but don't fragment so the exit wounds are manageable. They are cheap, accurate, and the BC of .430 is also pretty darn good. They stomp yotes from any angle and work well on deer with any shot angle I'd take with a 6mm. I have a box of 6mm AB's on backorder, they may become my favorite if they perform the same with a higher velocity.

Anything bigger than 6mm - My favorite bullet is the AccuBond for the reasons mentioned above. Open fast for shock, penetrate deep, reasonable exit wounds. I use them for all my big game hunts and for yotes on real windy days. The larger cal ballistic tips perform pretty much the same as accubonds on yotes unless I hit a big bone, then the exits get real messy.

What are your favorites, and what is your typical shot like?

If we ever see that 90 gr. AccuBond, that would be a great one for all the reasons you listed and it doesn't put too big of holes in them if you don't hit some shoulder bone or something. I've used the 100 gr. Partitions because that's what I use to shoot everything in my 6mm and you usually don't burn up too many rounds hunting coyotes in a day. The 90 gr. E-tip might be a good one too without tearing them up too much. My son gets about 3140-3160 in his 22" barrel on his Ruger 6mm. H100V powder.
David

I have killed coyotes with the following.....

22-250
40 gr BTLF, 50 gr BT, 55 gr BT and 60 gr PT

243 Win
70 fr BT

257 Roberts
100 gr BT, 110 gr AB, 115 gr BT, and 115 gr PT

6.5mm Rem Mag
130 gr AB

I think I may have found the perfect coyote bullet, .224 cal 64 gr BSB
IMG_06691.jpg

All of my coyotes have been called in. Most shots are less than 100 yds but there are a few that have been longer.

JD338

I've killed coyotes with a variety of rifles but I'll focus on two - the .22-250 and my .257 Roberts.

In the .22-250 I really like the performance of Nosler 40g Ballistic Tips. I don't save the pelts and these bullets take them down quickly. I tried 55g FMJs because the were cheap and hated the way they worked. I also tried 52g Speer Match BTHP's but was also disappointed. These days I'm running 50g Hornady V-MAX and am happy with them.

In the Roberts I use 75g V-MAX. This is one very deadly combo.

JD338":228ok62i said:
I think I may have found the perfect coyote bullet, .224 cal 64 gr BSB
IMG_06691.jpg
JD338

Jim you sort of remind me of myself shooting Partitions at them. I wonder if we have enough bullet? :mrgreen: Maybe we need to consult with Fotis on this one Jim. He'll be having us use at least a 30-378! :lol:

Ok... I've killed coyotes with the following:

.17 HMR, .17 Mach IV, .17 Rem.

.204 Ruger, .20 Cal. Sheridan air rifle

.22lr, .22WMR, .221 Fireball, .222 Rem, .223 Rem, .223AI, .225 Win, .220 Swift, .22-250, .22/284

.243 Win, .243 WSSM, 6mm Rem, 6/284, 6/06, 6mmAI, .240 Roy

.25/06., .25-35 Win, .257 Roy, .257 Bob, .257AI

.260 Rem, 6.5x55, .264 Winny

.270 Win (yeah... I know, I checked out too many JOC books at the library), .270 WSM

7/08, 7mm Rem, 7mm Roy, 7x57

.30-30, .308 Win, .30-06, .300 WSM, .300 Winny, .300 Rum

8x57, .375 H&H, .450 Ackley, .50 BMG, and a .50 cal smokepole, broadhead.....

Whew.... and after all that.... I'll take a .243 Win all day long over any of the rest (maybe AI'd) for coyote hunting. I've killed 500+ dogs... and seen another couple hundred get dirt-napped.... so I've formed an educated opinion or two. I hate .22 centerfires, with the nary exception of a quick twisted one running the 75 Amax. Coyotes is tough... and they can take a lot of punishment and still manage to crawl off in a hole somewhere before they die... you need to hit them hard, particularly when they're jacked up. I killed piles and piles with the 55 NBT out of the .243 and 6mm Rem... they are probably the best 'point and shoot' load, though they lack the ability to do much heavy lifting. The 70-80s are the best all-around... with the 75 Vmax being top of the heap. Anymore, I mostly shoot the 105 Amax... because I like to ring the steel a lot too.... and I can't see a coyote stopping one inside about a mile and a half.

I've purpose built about a half dozen "coyote rifles"... and I've come to the conclusion that a sporter weight big 6.... wearing a turreted 3-9 is the best system for me. Though...

Sounds like we agree that the 75gr V-max is one heck of a yote bullet.

I'm used to a little more magnification on most of my rifles. I have turrets on the 264WM and 7 RM but haven't built a turret for a yote gun yet. I'd like to build one for my 6mm but haven't done it. I very seldom get time to range a yote so I'm not sure how often I'd have time to dial.

My pet rig for shooting around the ranch is my 6mm Rem
Ruger M77 action with 2lb timney trigger
Boyd laminate thumbhole stock bedded & floated
Kreiger 1 in 9 stainless #4 contour barrel 25"
Leupold 6.5x20 with the VH reticle

For calling I prefer a lighter shorter barrelled rifle in 243 with a thumbhole stock, 4.5x14 Leupold VH, and 2lb trigger. I rebuilt my old one into the 6mm so I just traded for another Ruger 243 I should get in a week or so. Then I'll order the timney trigger and stock and start working up loads, see if the factory barrel shoots or it needs a new one. I'll start with the 75gr V-max on that one.

I completely agree that yotes are tough and like the bigger rifles for them. I can't gripe to much about the little 204 though with the 45gr bullets. They open quick and are tough enough to exit. I need to get another pound of superformance for the 6mm so I've shot 5 yotes this week with the little 204 and it's done well. They ranged from 150yds to 280yds. Put 2 holes in them and they will bleed out fairly quick. On the downside I could have lost one of them if I'd been near heavy cover, it travelled 100yds or a shade further before dropping with a heart shot. I don't think that would have happened with a 75gr V-max.

I'm thinking of getting a R25 in 243 before Obama gets re-elected in case I decide to enter another calling tournament. Several 75gr V-maxes might be just the ticket for multiple dogs.

Anymore, I mostly shoot the 105 Amax... because I like to ring the steel a lot too.... and I can't see a coyote stopping one inside about a mile and a half.

How do those 105's open on yotes? Also have you tried them on big game? I have an antelope hunt coming up this fall if I draw and my girlfriend will be using my 6mm while I shoot my 264WM. I'd like to have a bullet where she doesn't have to worry about wind drift overly much. She is a pretty decent shot and shoots alot with me, but struggles doping the wind.

David,

mcseal2 shoots more coyotes in a week than I will shoot in a life time. He gives sound advice and I agree with my limited experience that angling shots on coyotes require a tough bullet.
I killed several coyotes with the 22-250 50 gr BT but I had 3 runners and all were quartering on shots into the shoulder. This is what made me start using heavier bullets. IMHO, .243 and .257 calibers are king for coyotes.

mcseal2,

Good stuff buddy, keep it coming.

JD338

My experience is limited to under 30 yotes with my 22-250 and I have had best results with the Speer 52gr HP. I had a splash with the 50gr VMax on a front quartering shot. I have never had a splash with the Speer HP and 75% haven't exited. The few exit wounds did require some sewing. The WW 45gr JHP also worked great but I only shot two before I switched to heavier bullets.

I'm trying to find an accurate load with my 257Bob but have been disappointed so far with the 75gr VMax and 85gr BT. Hopefully I can get one of these to shoot good in my rifle so I can use this rifle.

Well there are certainly some guys on here that have laid ALOT of them low................. I guess hundreds are common? And thousands certainly a possibility???? . Around here they are rarely seen, because of the nature of the cover . People shoot at them with lots of calibers, and there is dozens of storys of blood and bone and pieces of lungs, in every coffee shop, and how they seam to get away no matter how you hit them. The coyotes here, are some form of hybrid and run much larger in size to the ones I have shot in Montana and Colorado or Oklahoma . Having had some experence shooting wolves in Alaska I had settled on the 243 as a perfect round for them, after loosing them with 223 and a 22-250 . The 243 worked great on even the largest ones.
When I moved back here to Maine I started using it here for these larger sized dogs we have here and found that on certain angles the 100gr bullets I had been using in Alaska would give pass thrus and alot of the energy was getting expended on the other side of the animal and some would of course drag themselves off.................. I experimented around with alot of different bullets and found the 87 gr hollow points to work better and used them for a few years and then finally migrated over to the thinner jacketed varmint bullets and had good luck there as well . Most of my shooting is over bait on the far side of the river behind my house, and our bait is exactly[300] three hundred yards, so there is usually a lot of wind down on the river and I have to shoot commonly with a 20kt crosswind, in the winter. So using lightweight bullets are out, because of the drift factor. I have had fantastic luck with the 58gr Vmax, but cant use it in my percular setup shooting 300 yds with tons of wind, so have been using the 87gr Vmax the last few years, and have had the best overall luck with that bullet, it transfers most, if not all, of the energy into the coyote and the explosive results are hard to argue with. Instant kills are the norm, and I have never lost one, with this bullet . I cant say enough good about it . I am sure the 75gr is equally effective, or possibly more so, but I opted not to use it and give up the weight to wind drift . If I had a 150yd bait, and wind was not a constant issue, I would probably have tryed them, but the 87 gr works so well I never had to .
coyote.jpg

I think the 87 Vmax is a great bullet too, and the 87 HPBT ain't a slouched either. I've shot a couple with the 80 NBT as well, and it works too.

On coyote toughness.... I once shot a coyote at just shy of 400 yards with a 115 Berger out of the .25/06. I hit him right in the wheelhouse and he went straight down. Almost instantly he was up and hauling' the mail.... but, I could see something flapping as he ran. After a 300+ yard death sprint he crashed in the creek and I hiked down for the recovery... what I saw blew my mind. The bullet went through so fast, that when it exited it sucked both lungs through a golfball sized exit wound. One of them was in chunks where I'd hit the coyote, the other was still attached and that's what was flapping around as he ran.... Unbelievable toughness.

85 grain ballistic tip from a 25/06. Puts them down hard, shoots plenty flat. Most of the dogs around here are pretty mangy and I probably wouldn't skin them even if they weren't, so we tend to fire for effect rather than fur.

JD338":29n2soly said:
David,

mcseal2 shoots more coyotes in a week than I will shoot in a life time. He gives sound advice and I agree with my limited experience that angling shots on coyotes require a tough bullet.
I killed several coyotes with the 22-250 50 gr BT but I had 3 runners and all were quartering on shots into the shoulder. This is what made me start using heavier bullets. IMHO, .243 and .257 calibers are king for coyotes.

mcseal2,

Good stuff buddy, keep it coming.

JD338

Jim I know they are tough critters. I'm sure I haven't shot nearly as many as he has either and probably never will. I was just poking fun at the both of us. Who says a Partition can't work for coyotes! I've shot quite a few with them. I love calling coyotes, that is so much darn fun. I used to have an 8000 acre ranch that was 20 minutes from my house where I could go play all day and had it to myself in the winter for coyotes, and then they sold it. :cry: The new owners won't even let me come hunt coyotes any longer.
David

Here's a couple pics, some you can see ent./exit... some you can't...

.25-06, 100 TSX (56gr RE22, 3350fps), 300 yards, exited (duh), DRT (shot a nice Whitetail with that load the next day about 1/2 mile from here)
dogdown.jpg

.25-06, 100 NBT (56gr RE22, 3350fps), 435 yards, exited, DRT (that's the exit you can see, about 1")
gundog.jpg

6mm Rem, 70 NBT, 325 yards. Quartering hard away, entered in the paunch and still had enough juice to break the off shoulder (try that with a .22-250 and a 50 grainer). The old "Two-Flop-Drop"
WeldDog.jpg

6mm Rem, 70 NBT, 85 yards, Exited, DRT. This was my brother's first coyote, I caught her napping in a snow field on a bright sunny -3 degree day.
tylerdog.jpg

.220 Swift, 50 NBT (42gr RE17, 3950fps), 350 yards, Same quartering hard shot as above... but this dog ran about 50 yards.
pawneedog.jpg

.220 Swift, 50 NBT (same load), 175 yards.... Ah, yeah.... my buddy Huff here shot this coyote 3 times... first two were solid. Then, I had to administer the coup de gras with the old XD9. This was a small coyote, probably 22lbs... two bullets hammered it but apparently they only got one lung, the third shattered the pelvis.... frickin' rodeo, also Huff's first coyote.
randy3.jpg

7mm Rem, 140 TTSX (68gr 7828SSC, 3350fps), 95 yards, exited (duh), DRT. My father-in-law's first coyote... a big one, 45lbs.
StevieDog1.jpg

.243 Win, 70 NBT (46gr RE17, 3575fps), 280 yards, no exit (small frags of jacket exited), DRT. Another big coyote, 47lb male
photobucket-1552-1325605705308.jpg

6mm Rem, 55 NBT (H4895, 4050fps), 225 yards, exited, DRT. My main man, and stone cold coyote killer... Tall Doug... I miss you brother!
doug1.jpg

6mm Rem, 55 NBT (H4895, 4050fps), 350 yards, sitting barking at us... you can see how well that worked out. No exit, DRT. Another Tall Doug production....
doug2.jpg

6mm Rem, 55 NBT (H4895, 4050fps), ranges from 125 to 485 yards (10 dogs total). Only the two shot over 400 went anywhere, they both went about 30 yards. Interestingly enough (to most folks, not to me)... every single one of these exited... with the two largest baseball sized exits also coming on the 400 yard shots. This was a good day!!
truckdogs.jpg

I think of all the combinations I've used over the years, the 6mm Rem running 55s has accounted for about half the coyotes I've seen done in.... and it is still probably my favorite set-up (though you could substitute the .243 Win... or whatever). I've also shot quite a few with the .25-06 and 85 NBT.... can't think of a single one that went anywhere after that collision.

Hope you enjoyed...

I have sent a lot of dogs to the after life with a 55gr BT out of a 243 right around 4000 FPS. Flat like a lazer, and have not met a dog yet that they bounce off of.

All this talk about the 55s made be grab a box at Sportsman's today... you just have to shoot them to believe it. The bullet is there almost instantaneously.... there are a lot of times when I remember seeing the coyote go down in the glass, before the recoil moved the rifle.

The first time I flirted with 6mm 55s was with a 6mm Rem. BDL-V... the one pictured in a number of the posts above. My buddy Tall Doug there in the pics wanted to give them a try, so we loaded some up with a stiff charge of H414 and headed to the Whatcom County Range just north of Lake Sammish, WA. I settled in and laid out three shots on the 100 yard target, all touching, dead nuts 2" high... Ok, on to 300. Doug took the honors at the 300 yard berm and I took a seat about 3 benches down behind a spotting scope. With little wind to speak of, Doug laid 5 rounds inside the 3".... but the most amazing part to me, was this: I could literally see the bullet impact the berm behind the target, 300 yards away... before I heard the gun go off... from 20' away. That, my friends, is haulin' ace!

Nice pictures Songdog. That one day was a very good day! 10- wow!!! Sure like to see that 6mm Remington being mentioned again and again and again! Doesn't get much better than that!

David

Bullets I currently use are:
204 35 Berger HP
22 Hornet (night rig) 45 SP Hornady "Hornet"
223 53 V-max Factory Superperformance
22-250 60 V-max
7mm08 140 TTSX (worked perfect on bobcat so far, small exit)

Future cartridges/ideas:
243 95 Ballistic Tip for everything, or 70 TNT or 75 V-max if loaded specifically for varmint/coyote
7-30 Waters 120 Ballistic Tip for coyote-deer

All combos are used with T/C Encore rifles except 223 which is a T/C Contender

Back