food plots

jimbires

Handloader
Aug 16, 2011
we've been working on food plots . it was very dry here , but we have been receiving some much needed rain lately , and they are starting to grow . I snapped a couple pics to watch the progress . we did these by using a disc , and cultipacker . we're going to try to rent a seed drill , and try that on our other plots . the guys have to approve the ground before they'll rent it to us . if they approve our ground , I'll have to put rear hydraulics on the one tractor to run the drill . it looks like this could happen around the end of July . so until then we'll be spraying the herbicide , raking rock , and hopefully setting up box blinds .

are you guys getting things going ?

#2 food plot june.jpgfood plot June .jpg

Well yesterday we finally got rain. Big thunderstorm hit dumping almost 3/4" of rain. It's raining again this morning, nice gentle rain that will soak into the ground.
I retilled a couple of spots around the house a couple days ago. These are going to be Sue's native wildflowers and grasses gardens that will get seeded late fall. The plan is to have pollinators around the house.

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20230625_184520192.jpg
    IMG_20230625_184520192.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20230625_184715349_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230625_184715349_HDR.jpg
    854.7 KB · Views: 7
Well yesterday we finally got rain. Big thunderstorm hit dumping almost 3/4" of rain.
It’s funny how rain works , I got 6ths yesterday and 15 miles East they received 3.2”. This should give my corn and beans a boost. I haven’t sprayed yet but this rain will get the weeds growing.

we were really dry too . about two weeks ago we started to get some rain . we've got 3 1/2 inches since then . it's raining now , and looks like rain off and on for the next week .

we got two more food plots planted , over this weekend . I think we're going to do two more , and that's it for this year . we're going to let the guys come check out our ground , to see if they'll rent us the seed drill next year . if they approve us ,we are going to give that a try next year .

Sounds good Jim, you guys are getting things done. Should be a good season for you this fall.

JD338

Tomorrow I’m planning on top dressing the corn and spray the plot. Rain is in the forecast.

we had another cookout . after the work was done we got back together and had a nice time . one of the guys put up a couple targets at the camping area . we had two teen age boys join us and help in the food plots this weekend . their Mom said they were needing guidance , and gave them to us for the day . after about eight hours of picking rock , they got rewarded by a cookout , safety & shooting instruction , and shooting CZ 22 rimfire rifles . the boys had a good time shooting thumbtacks and balloons at about 25 yards . hopefully the field work helps Mom at home . two pics from this week , two pics from a few weeks ago . my Dog just loves cookouts !

cookout .jpgSally @ tent cookout.jpgMikes tent.jpgtent cookout .jpg

Sounds good Jim, you guys are getting things done. Should be a good season for you this fall.

JD338
thanks JD , we're hoping to have another good season . we have a couple more members helping out , I think they are realizing the benefits of all the work .
we started to disc up one of the new fields , and sprayed herbicide on the other new field . get these taken care of , and get our box stands placed . then allow things to calm down before hunting season starts . after the work is done , we will be shooting .

we had another cookout . after the work was done we got back together and had a nice time . one of the guys put up a couple targets at the camping area . we had two teen age boys join us and help in the food plots this weekend . their Mom said they were needing guidance , and gave them to us for the day . after about eight hours of picking rock , they got rewarded by a cookout , safety & shooting instruction , and shooting CZ 22 rimfire rifles . the boys had a good time shooting thumbtacks and balloons at about 25 yards . hopefully the field work helps Mom at home . two pics from this week , two pics from a few weeks ago . my Dog just loves cookouts !

View attachment 20144View attachment 20145View attachment 20146View attachment 20147
Looks to be a good crew accomplishing some good work that'll pay off handsomely.

Corn and beans are trying to grow , we just need some rain. From Memorial Day to the 4th of July we’ve only received 1” rain.
IMG_3563.jpegIMG_3562.jpeg

we're getting rain now , things were really dry to about mid June . I have a cheap rain gauge , I'm not sure if it's accurate .according to it , we've got 4 1/2 inches since the middle of June . we planted this food plot, this past Saturday . I took the picture last night , so this is what it looks like after four days . our one food plot is close to knee high . the knee high one had deer in it last night

foodplot four days old.jpg

With a little of July heat with all that rain you got , that will be infested with deer in no time.

Back