food plots

This is very interesting stuff. What does your land owner grow on the rest of the farm and does that compete with your success?

this was all a coal strip mine . where we are hunting , planting , and our two shooting ranges the coal stripping finished up about 3 or 4 years ago . on the back side of our lease , there is still an active coal stripping job ran by the land owner . He is very happy with us guys . he's told us we are the only lease trying to make things better . he's done different things to help us out . the last couple years when we needed powdered lime , he gave us a triaxle . we had to pay the drivers wages , and we paid his price for the lime at the quarry . earth day 2023 he got us hooked up with Penn State college ag department , they were looking for a project . a few back filled fields , near his active coal job , got planted with trees that will be beneficial to wildlife . if I remember right we got 3500 trees planted , in an open field . now these trees are only 8 or 10 inches high , but we got them . I won't live long enough to see the benefit of them , but hopefully the next guys to have the lease will take over and do as we are doing , and get the benefit of the trees . he has just been a wonderful guy to lease from . we use the place like we own it .

this was all a coal strip mine . where we are hunting , planting , and our two shooting ranges the coal stripping finished up about 3 or 4 years ago . on the back side of our lease , there is still an active coal stripping job ran by the land owner . He is very happy with us guys . he's told us we are the only lease trying to make things better . he's done different things to help us out . the last couple years when we needed powdered lime , he gave us a triaxle . we had to pay the drivers wages , and we paid his price for the lime at the quarry . earth day 2023 he got us hooked up with Penn State college ag department , they were looking for a project . a few back filled fields , near his active coal job , got planted with trees that will be beneficial to wildlife . if I remember right we got 3500 trees planted , in an open field . now these trees are only 8 or 10 inches high , but we got them . I won't live long enough to see the benefit of them , but hopefully the next guys to have the lease will take over and do as we are doing , and get the benefit of the trees . he has just been a wonderful guy to lease from . we use the place like we own it .
25 years ago this was nothing but a hay field/pasture. About 3500 trees planted, various brush species and were planted. Still getting 18 inches to two feet of leader growth a year. You may be surprised how fast things change.

Attachments

• IMG_8758.jpeg
    IMG_8758.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8756.jpeg
    IMG_8756.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8760.jpeg
    IMG_8760.jpeg
    441.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8759.jpeg
    IMG_8759.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8761.jpeg
    IMG_8761.jpeg
  • IMG_8755.jpeg
    IMG_8755.jpeg
  • IMG_8757.jpeg
    IMG_8757.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
I Found a couple pics of the tree project . they plowed both ways , made like a checker board . a tree got planted at each plow crossing . if you look close at the field before it was plowed you'll see a dragline boom in the opening . the plow lines go to a ladder stand we have there . their tractor dwarfs my buggy .

earth day trees.jpg field before trees.jpg plowed field.jpg Penn State tractor.jpg

pic of our range before it was completely backfilled . we've had 3 or 4 , maybe 5 shooting lines . when they backfilled they would screw us up . this is our long range . we shoot to 2000 from the shooting line , we have to back up to get more than 2000 yards . we also have a short range 50 to 450 with a target at every 50 yards .

P8300943_LI.jpg P7180151_LI.jpg P7180150_LI.jpg

As you can see in these pictures, the grasses are coming in to the food plots. Although the deer are in them, I'm going to replant them this year.

Attachments

• IMG_20240611_170840.jpg
    IMG_20240611_170840.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20240611_170810.jpg
    IMG_20240611_170810.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20240611_170806.jpg
    IMG_20240611_170806.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20240611_170802.jpg
    IMG_20240611_170802.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 6
our one food plot that is planted in clover , the clover is really nice , but the grass is high and looks like it's trying to take over . we bought a gallon of " tap out " supposedly it will kill out the grass and not harm the clover .

our soy beans , we got two different brands . one brand is inoculated , the other is not . they gave us a couple bags of inoculant . they told us to just put the seed in buckets and pour the powder inoculant in with the seed and stir it around . does this sound right ? is that all there is to it ?

I think that is pretty amazing what they are doing with those old coal mines. You deserve praise for improving on those operations as what you have done will exceed what you take off the land. Well done.

thank you , we have five guys that pretty much do everything . we all say we want to leave it better than we got it . we've done a lot of things , some worked others didn't . I guess that's to be expected .

our soy beans , we got two different brands . one brand is inoculated , the other is not . they gave us a couple bags of inoculant . they told us to just put the seed in buckets and pour the powder inoculant in with the seed and stir it around . does this sound right ? is that all there is to it ?
This will give you a good idea what it’s for.
We mix 2oz per bag of seed in the planter for field crops.

we were really wet . now it's getting dry . we got about 3/4" of rain yesterday , and no rain in sight now . next week in the low 90's everyday . no happy medium , it seems .

we worked yesterday , and got 3 food plots fertilized and planted .

forgot to mention ;

we planted the soy beans , and applied the inoculant . the inoculant they gave us reminded me of powdered graphite . we put some seed in and poured a little inoculant in , and mixed by hand . really there was nothing to it . yes , it turned your hands black . LOL

Last edited:
we worked yesterday , and got 3 food plots fertilized and planted .

forgot to mention ;

we planted the soy beans , and applied the inoculant . the inoculant they gave us reminded me of powdered graphite . we put some seed in and poured a little inoculant in , and mixed by hand . really there was nothing to it . yes , it turned your hands black . LOL
We used to use a liquid , nothing but a sticky mess. Couple years ago we switched to the powder , broken yardstick for mixing works.

Back