Fur frendy bullets

tjen

Handloader
Apr 25, 2007
Anyone use the hornady 45gr Spire pt? I have one load using it in my 221rem at 3000fps. They list it with the same MV's as the y do their SXP bullets. How do you think these should work curl back or fragmet? I have loads for the 40gr B-tip and Berger 40gr HPV at 3250fps too.

Hope to find a good load for bobcats and yotes up close say 20-150 yards

I'm sorry tjen. I'm the guy who used the .375 on a rockchuck...

Never have been a really fur-friendly kind of hunter/shooter... I can tell you that a 140 gr anything from a 7mm Rem mag really leaves quite the exit wound on a coyote... Am thinking though that the 115 Berger VLD from a .25-06 does even more damage though. Sorry... :mrgreen:

Get some TiteGroup and develop a load for a heavy CF bullet that is only flying about 1500 fps. I did that exact thing for my .338 Federal with 200 grain Hornady's. They chrono just over 1500 fps, fly very accurately with the same trajectory as a .22WRM and they do not expand at all. My load in the .338 Federal just punches a .338 hole in whatever I shoot with little or no wound channel expansion. They will penetrate a great deal of animal flesh but with no explosive tissue damage.

TiteGroup is good because it will burn consistantly no matter where it lays in the cartridge case. Some fast burning powders will not burn properly in a large case capacity.

I use the Hornady 45gr factory load in my 204 Ruger, haven't taken time to build a load yet. It does a great job on yotes. Like any controlled expansion design I have had some runners after the shot but never very far. I haven't kept one in a yote even on tough angles which I liked from the little gun. Exit wounds are small and easily sewed. I had to many shoulder blow-ups, or even blow-ups on grass with the 32gr Winchester factory loads and the 40gr V max. Both of those stomp yotes if you slip one between the ribs but aren't good with bone. I think the 45gr Hornady would punch through a cat or fox without major damage, but haven't had the opportunity to test that. I haven't yet tried the 40gr BT or 39gr Sierra's I bought to load and am not sure I will. The ballistics aren't as good on the Hornady but the terminal performance has been good enough for me to ignore ballistics and that's rare for me. I've posted about this several times, and emailed Sierra, Nosler, and Hornady about creating a tough polymer tipped 40gr bullet for yotes with the 204. I think it would quickly find a market.

If I'm in doubt I take the 6mm and send a 70gr BT their way at 3924fps with my Superformance load, that's a yote stomper! It seldom exits on a broadside shot and doesn't really wreck the pelt. If it does, I'm more concerned with keeping the numbers down on our ranch, this far south the pelts have limited value anyway.

I just read about a study in a trapping book where they found that 75% of the adult coyotes had to be removed in any given year to reduce the population the following year. Otherwise the new pup crop would increase the population the next year. No wonder coyotes are survivors, they get smart way before you get that many killed.

Actually reminds me - the 35 gr Berger hollow point from the .204 has a good reputation for staying inside a coyote. I haven't used it on a coyote myself - but have heard good things about it for coyote skins.

Guy Miner":22f2775q said:
I'm sorry tjen. I'm the guy who used the .375 on a rockchuck...

Never have been a really fur-friendly kind of hunter/shooter... I can tell you that a 140 gr anything from a 7mm Rem mag really leaves quite the exit wound on a coyote... Am thinking though that the 115 Berger VLD from a .25-06 does even more damage though. Sorry... :mrgreen:

I must be the only one that doesn't like Bergers for yotes. In my 6mm & 243 the 87 and 95gr Berger VLD hunting bullets punched through with limited damage and I had lots of runners after the shot. They seemed to work great out to about 175yds, but didn't expand much past that. I trailed several one winter in the snow and eventually found them with a hole drilled through, but no real noticable expansion. I had good results with the same bullets on deer but felt that they needed more tissue to expand in than a broadside yote offered. They are designed to penetrate 2-3" before expansion, and that's pretty deep into a broadside yote. Maybe the 25 cal was enough faster, or had enough extra bullet weight to change that or maybe I just used one at a tough enough angle.

The most critical point is to stay away from bone. I have shot several coyotes with the 50 gr BT in a 22-250 up close and the exit through the ribs is the size of a nickel.

JD338

I must say I was pretty impressed with the job the 55gr Varmagedon did ona yote today at 75 yards. I was expecting the off side of the face to be gone, nope, nice little exit.

Back