Hammer Bullet Release Report

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
Hammer Bullet Release Report

Very interesting!

Bravo,
Great report with lots of information and data. I commend you for the time it must have taken to compile all this. I am sure all will appreciated the effort put forth.

Thanks,
WesternMagHunter

I have Hammers loads in 3 calibers with the first try being crimped. All 3 with 1/8 turn crimp giving groups 2 in 1 out , they’re good groups but I feel like I’m leaving some on the table. Last weekend I loaded 90gr AH in 257 Wby and 124gr HH in 300 Wby , this time I didn’t do any crimp. I haven’t shot them yet to see if there’s a change.

I have Hammers loads in 3 calibers with the first try being crimped. All 3 with 1/8 turn crimp giving groups 2 in 1 out , they’re good groups but I feel like I’m leaving some on the table. Last weekend I loaded 90gr AH in 257 Wby and 124gr HH in 300 Wby , this time I didn’t do any crimp. I haven’t shot them yet to see if there’s a change.
I have Hammers loaded in 5 calibers and had the same thing happen in 2 of them, 25.06 and 280 Rem. I increased the crimp from 1/8 turn to 1/4 turn and it tightened the groups right up.

I have Hammers loaded in 5 calibers and had the same thing happen in 2 of them, 25.06 and 280 Rem. I increased the crimp from 1/8 turn to 1/4 turn and it tightened the groups right up.
Good know for the next time around , least now I know I’m not the only one seeing that.

Yeah, same with the 280 AI and 7-08, especially with the absolutes. I spent a fair amount of time messaging with a fella on the hammertime forum about crimping and picked up a couple tips. First, if you set up the LFCD like the instructions say (screw down until it just touches then an 1/8 more), you're not getting enough crimp. His suggestion was, with a loaded round in the die, screw it down until it touches, and REALLY snug it down by hand. Nothing crazy, just nice and snug. Then lower the round and give it an 1/8th turn. Second is where you crimp. He suggested staying off the driving bands and crimp in a groove, or the shank, if you're seated all the way in.

I have not had the one and done kind of load development with hammers, though they have always shot pretty good. I started trying to outsmart the horders several years ago and started buying my favorite Nosler’s and a few others, when Obama was elected. I need to get back on the Hammer Time for my 257 Roberts, it showed great promise.
This was a very interesting report and validated what I already knew, I am at best a recreational reloader.

There is a very interesting video on youtube how the videos have been eidted and how they fail. I have no dog in this fight, just saying there is always more to any story

Back