Hammer Bullets

FOTIS

Range Officer
Staff member
Oct 30, 2004
I have been looking into these for a while and decided to give them a go.
I ordered the 6.5 mm 131 Hammer hunter for my 6.5 Bee. Steve (owner) said they might not work due to the 8 twist in my accumark and they needed 1:7.5 twist.

26131HH-510x340.jpg

I was told in another forum that these bullets were so uniform that finding a load would be super easy.
I had a load with the 127 LRX for the 6.5 Bee and I was told by others just swap bullets, It seems the Hammers are not finicky about seating depth ...etc.
I started lower of course and this was my first 3 shot group Disregard legend on the pictures. I forgot to update them. Group size is correct

86 gr RL33 3455 fps same depth as with the LRX

odtl5GCm.jpg

then 86.5 RL33 3485 fps or so but they opened up a bit

I am really liking these Montana made bullets so far.

Got some 124 gr Hunters for my 6.5 PRC and 6.5 Freakmoor also. BTW the 131 is quite a bit longer than the 127 LRX.

My nephew and brother use the 110 grain in their grendels and they report they are fantastic on deer and pigs...I was looking at them for my daughters grendel, but settled on the 123 SST just for economy's sake of volume shooting. I'd have to imagine they will do great in the Bee.

Do they fragment or mushroom?
I am quite pleased with the Lehigh from my Creed. Just paper so far, but that might change soon....

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

I've been loading the 110's in a couple of creedmoors this summer, they shoot really well and velocities are up there. We'll try them on some antelope and deer this year, see how they do. Played with the 124's a bit but haven't been able to match my gmx loads for accuracy yet. Might order a sample pack of the 131 grainers as my x bolt has a 7 twist. Haven't been able to find any negative comments about them.

Fotis,

I've played with Hammer Bullets extensively.

Load some up, put 3 in your magazine, and feed them through the chamber.
Let me know how many jam on you.

I have found on Mark V's in 7mm and 300 Wby that due to the angle they feed from the magazine plus the skinny shape of the ogive, the meplat of the typical Hammer will jam on the lower lip of the barrel. It took almost a year, but I convinced Steve to make the 7mm 146 Hammer Hunter which has a more rounded shape and doesn't jam.

https://hammerbullets.com/product/284-c ... er-hunter/

FYI, the Vanguards as well as Remingtons are shaped differently enough and feed differently enough that there are no problems.
If they put plastic tips on these, which Steve does not want to do, the problem would also go away.

Despite the feeding issues, the 131 Hammer Hunter in my 7mm Accumark is DEADLY on antelope. I just can't depend on a second shot.

My 6mm Remington did not like them, which I thought was unusual. After several powder/primer trials I moved on to the Nosler Ballistic Tip in that rifle, which it loves.

Patrick

Definitely will try that!!!

He also said that they might fly straight and shoot well but he is concerned if they will penetrate straight in tissue due to the slower twist.

I know they are not lead but the berger twist calculator shows a 1.6 stability rating in my gun and altitude.

Anyone compared them to Lehigh?
From what I read there shall only be 4 fragments with the hammers, the Lehigh produce more.
Price is quite different - are they that much better?

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

Interesting stuff for sure!

Dr. Vette - thanks for the insights. I've never tried them, but someday perhaps!

Guy

FOTIS":1hn4hmg6 said:
Patrick

Definitely will try that!!!

He also said that they might fly straight and shoot well but he is concerned if they will penetrate straight in tissue due to the slower twist.

I know they are not lead but the berger twist calculator shows a 1.6 stability rating in my gun and altitude.

They didn’t shoot right outta the gate in my 300 RUM but I also didn’t try much else with them since I already had a solid 200 AB load. I will be trying some more of them and likely the 155 Absolute Hammer they just listed. That thing should fly like a rocket ship outta my Mashburn.

Back