Hog/big game crumpler

DrMike":2oy07xcz said:
You will lose about 25-35 fps for each inch of barrel lost.

I'm assuming the standard barrel length for a .338wm is 24" ?

So, subtract ( safely and generally) 140fps from published velocities?

When loading for a gun like this, would it be wise to try faster burning powders?

That would be a great gun to own for what you have in mind. You should be able to get a 250 gr to around 2600 fps which is plenty for any animal in North America. Any idea what exactly the threaded muzzle is for?

gerry":25t9gyaw said:
That would be a great gun to own for what you have in mind. You should be able to get a 250 gr to around 2600 fps which is plenty for any animal in North America. Any idea what exactly the threaded muzzle is for?

From what I've read, the muzzle is threaded to accept a muzzle break or supressor.

I just like the idea of a big thumper in a small package and 250grns @ 2600fps is right up my alley.

Most of the hogs around here seem to linger around impenetrable thickets. I would hope to bust one or both shoulders to keep from having to follow them into the abyss. Also, it might make a decent elk/moose gun when that opportunity comes my way. :mrgreen:

widgeon":2voqe3qn said:
gerry":2voqe3qn said:

From what I've read, the muzzle is threaded to accept a muzzle break or supressor.

I just like the idea of a big thumper in a small package and 250grns @ 2600fps is right up my alley.

Most of the hogs around here seem to linger around impenetrable thickets. I would hope to bust one or both shoulders to keep from having to follow them into the abyss. Also, it might make a decent elk/moose gun when that opportunity comes my way. :mrgreen:

No doubt it would work well for those animals, that would also be great medicine for grizzly.

widgeon, the powder that gives the best velocity in a longer barrel will normally give the best velocity in a shorter barrel. Switching to a faster powder is a waste of time/effort/powder.Rick.

A .338 WM with a 20" barrel doesn't seem like a great idea to me. Increased muzzle blast puts me off of the idea as much as any loss in velocity.

I'd probably look to a .338 Fed, .358 Win, or 350 Rem mag to do the job you describe with a 20" barrel.

Maybe it wouldn't be too bad, but I think I'd pass.

What about a 45-70?

ROVERT":yd1nngee said:
A .338 WM with a 20" barrel doesn't seem like a great idea to me. Increased muzzle blast puts me off of the idea as much as any loss in velocity.

I'd probably look to a .338 Fed, .358 Win, or 350 Rem mag to do the job you describe with a 20" barrel.

What about a 45-70?

Yeah, I was all about the .358win, but it's tough to find one within my price range. I would love a BLR chambered so.

Seeing Scotty's recent range report on the 45-70 has got me thinking on that as well. I was also looking into a .338RCM, but after talking to some of the guys here, I'm a little concerned with it's longevity as a factory loaded cartrirdge. Which could, in turn, make finding brass an issue.

Not absolutely sure yet, but I'm leaning towards this Savage.

ROVERT":1xhsw98k said:

What about a 45-70?

Yeah, I was all about the .358win, but it's tough to find one within my price range. I would love a BLR chambered so.

Seeing Scotty's recent range report on the 45-70 has got me thinking on that as well. I was also looking into a .338RCM, but after talking to some of the guys here, I'm a little concerned with it's longevity as a factory loaded cartrirdge. Which could, in turn, make finding brass an issue.

Not absolutely sure yet, but I'm leaning towards this Savage.

I certainly like the .358 Win and the .350 RM, and I have no doubt that I'm going to enjoy the .338 Federal, and similarly, I am certain I would enjoy the .45-70. Nevertheless, for the purpose you intend to use the rifle, the Savage 111 Hog Hunter in .338 Win will serve you admirably. I wouldn't be overly concerned about the muzzle blast or the slight loss of velocity. It is a specialty tool, and it will work wonderfully for close-in shots on heavy game.

Haven't really noticed that the muzzle blast on my 20" 375 Ruger is any worse than any other magnum I've shot. With something like a 66-68 gr powder charge of IMR 4350 and a 250, in theory would be less muzzle blast than my 80 gr Ramshot Big Game with a 260 gr. if you aim at a 250 @ 2500 fps with a faster burning powder like H 4895 now you will burn even less powder and be in the same range as a 338 RCM

I wouldn't be that afarid of it at all, as a handloader you can make it whatever you want and save the firebreather loads for something really big.

Thanks guys.

It's always nice to get a little positive input and encouragement. :mrgreen:

Oh, buy the way, It seems I've found a buyer for my TC Encore in .243win. Not a done deal yet, but I think it will be .

This will keep me on good terms with my wife when I go and buy the new rifle. :mrgreen:

Seams like those figures ring a bell???? 250 grain bullets going 2500 from a 20" barrel. Sounds like exactly what I could expect from my 22" barrel on my Hawkeye, in 35 Whelen, if I sawed two inches off it, as it shows 2600fps all day long now :wink:

widgeon":2s33epjt said:
Oh, buy the way, It seems I've found a buyer for my TC Encore in .243win. Not a done deal yet, but I think it will be .

This will keep me on good terms with my wife when I go and buy the new rifle. :mrgreen:

That's always a good thing :)

35 Whelen,
You are right, looking at Hodgdon's data on their website they show max loads of 58.5gr IMR 4064 going 2518 fps and 59 gr IMR 4895 going 2529 fps with a Hornady 250 gr, those are definitely a dead ringer for a 35 Whelen for power, recoil and how much powder they use.

gerry":2gtdn1oc said:

I am completely with Gerry on this. You should be able to get to 2600 pretty easily with the 338WM in that rifle. I would recommend the Whelen or 358, but like you already said, none of them are the same price as that Savage. I like it, I wouldn't scoff at that rifle a bit. Load it up and hunt. You would have to shoot a long way to realize that 20" barrel is hurting you at all.

I do think a 45-70 is a good pick though and can be picked up on that price range too..

I like it though buddy, and if you get it, I have your back on 338 loads! That rifle would be mighty handy for carrying and hunting..

While it's certainly not my ideal of what I would want in a .338 WinMag, the short barrel wouldn't scare me too much. I'd prefer no less than 22", but that's more because I like longer rifles.

Now neck that case to .308, no way would I go less than 24"!

BK":1hcyes8i said:
While it's certainly not my ideal of what I would want in a .338 WinMag, the short barrel wouldn't scare me too much. I'd prefer no less than 22", but that's more because I like longer rifles.

Now neck that case to .308, no way would I go less than 24"!

Short is nice when navigating the thicker stuff though. I have pretty much all 24's and don't mind them, but when carrying the Guide Rifle, it really feels good in my paws. It all depends on where you spend most of your time though. 24" barrels have never felt long to me though..

I just talked to a dealer in TN that can have it shipped to my local FFL for just under $450. :mrgreen:

Back