IN MARCH - 340 Weatherby Magnum

bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
Will have a custom 340 Weatherby Magnum on the way some time this coming March of 2010.

1. It will be a German Mark V receiver with a 26" #2 Krieger Moly Chrome barrel chambered in 340Wby with no muzzle brake.

2. It will have a McMillian stock (Green) and bedded to fit the #2 contour of the Krieger barrel.

3. The older style of Wheaterby trigger will be replaced with a Timney trigger and adjusted to no less that 2 1/2 pounds and no more than 3 pounds.

4. The receiver will be refinished as well as the bolt.

5. It will have Talley bases and rings.

I have not decided what scope or power to put on it yet.

bullet,

Well its almost a 338 RUM. :p

Congratulations on the 340 Wby. This class of 338 really kills fast, you have to see it to believe it. The 210 gr PT at 3200 fps is impressive. :wink:

JD338

JD338":2xj3e3mf said:
bullet,

Well its almost a 338 RUM. :p

Congratulations on the 340 Wby. This class of 338 really kills fast, you have to see it to believe it. The 210 gr PT at 3200 fps is impressive. :wink:

JD338

Plan on sticking with the 210gr Patition, no need for anything else I have seen it in action and as I said, VERY IMPRESSIVE. I thought the 180gr was in the 30-06 but in the 338 traveling over 2900fps and up it is devastatingly awesome.

What scope and what power should you use? Hmmmmm...... good question. With the .340 Weatherby's reach at long range, plus the fact that it could potentially be used for something like large bears at close range, I would have to go with a variable. I can think of three that would be great and would be flexible enough for any situation you might use this rifle for.

Leupold Vari-X III in 4.5x14-40mm
3.5x10-40mm
2.5x8-36mm

Leupolds are clear and bright, very very tough, hold their zero, and the warranty from these folks is outstanding. That's just my opinion. 8)

My M700 LSS 338 RUM has a Mark 4 4.5x14.
700LSS338RUM.jpg

JD338

6mm Remington":2x7n33um said:
What scope and what power should you use? Hmmmmm...... good question. With the .340 Weatherby's reach at long range, plus the fact that it could potentially be used for something like large bears at close range, I would have to go with a variable. I can think of three that would be great and would be flexible enough for any situation you might use this rifle for.

Leupold Vari-X III in 4.5x14-40mm
3.5x10-40mm
2.5x8-36mm

Leupolds are clear and bright, very very tough, hold their zero, and the warranty from these folks is outstanding. That's just my opinion. 8)
The only place to find a Vari-X III would be an auction site. IMO, the VX-3 (huge difference from the Vari-X III) 4.5-14x40 in either std or the LR (30mm tube). I have both, but in the VX-III.

Until I can decide I have two that I could put on it. A VX-III 2.5-8x36mm or a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14x40mm BDC.

Mike,

My 338 RUM started out with a VX-III 2.5-8x36mm, I added M1 dials and had no trouble shooting nice groups on a 6" bulls eye at 500 yds.

JD338

Congrats on the new toy! The 210 is a hammer of a bullet for sure.

Glass wise do what I did to my 416 WBY maf

Leupold quick release bases. I was running a 4.5x14 for long range and a 1.75x6 for short range/woods. Never lost a beat when swapped out.

My new toy is getting done right now. Should be here in March 2010 also. Cost me 3 weatherbies for it and the glass but worth it.

I have a a MKV Wby 340 Lazermark a & love it I hope to take an elk or something larger. I've been shooting 180 & 200gr but going to start loading 225s.

POP":1e8msg4o said:
Congrats on the new toy! The 210 is a hammer of a bullet for sure.

Glass wise do what I did to my 416 WBY maf

Leupold quick release bases. I was running a 4.5x14 for long range and a 1.75x6 for short range/woods. Never lost a beat when swapped out.

My new toy is getting done right now. Should be here in March 2010 also. Cost me 3 weatherbies for it and the glass but worth it.

Good idea on the scope switching - Hey, what new toy are we talking about, have I missed something. Must really be some kind of toy to cost a man three Weahterby rifles, especially the 416Wby!!!!! :shock: :shock:

6ptkiller":29iutqww said:
I have a a MKV Wby 340 Lazermark a & love it I hope to take an elk or something larger. I've been shooting 180 & 200gr but going to start loading 225s.

The 225gr bullets will walk a little harder on your shoulder :lol:

Hell of a toy. A surprise! Will keep in touch about it. But I had to sell my bees 270, 30-378 and 416! So you know it will rock!

POP":y2p8ugkc said:
Hell of a toy. A surprise! Will keep in touch about it. But I had to sell my bees 270, 30-378 and 416! So you know it will rock!

Well it had better rock for costing you those three Bees or you will certainly here it from me :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike,

The 250 gr AB will really be awesome in the 340 Wby for long range shooting and hunting, This is the bullet I have settled on for my 338 RUM.
I can tell you that it gets down range 600 yds fast! You will get similat performance from the 340 Wby.

JD338

JD338":2d3axqqq said:
Mike,

The 250 gr AB will really be awesome in the 340 Wby for long range shooting and hunting, This is the bullet I have settled on for my 338 RUM.
I can tell you that it gets down range 600 yds fast! You will get similat performance from the 340 Wby.

JD338

Yeah, I bet the 250gr will get down range fast and will get "BACK RANGE EVEN FASTER ON MY SHOULDER"!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol:

If you are not going to put a muzzle break on that monster go with a scope with lots of eye relief. Mine came back against my forehead way too many times and always drew blood! That round can be loaded to some real good ballistics with the 225 AB. I had a W. German Mark V and the stock trigger was really a keeper, don't know why you would want to change it! I did put an extension on the safety wing as the old Mark V safety is really short.

Good luck with this boomer!

The recoil isn't as bad as you think. I shoot my 338 RUM from prone with no ill effect. The secret is a good recoil pad. I have a Pachmayr Decelerator pad and it made a huge difference in felt recoil.

Start out with the 200-210 gr weights and work up. You will do just fine.:wink:

JD338

JD338":28uw2ism said:
The recoil isn't as bad as you think. I shoot my 338 RUM from prone with no ill effect. The secret is a good recoil pad. I have a Pachmayr Decelerator pad and it made a huge difference in felt recoil.

Start out with the 200-210 gr weights and work up. You will do just fine.:wink:

JD338

JD, I was going to do just that and of course the Weatherby style stock my McMillian will naturally reduce some of the recoil and it has a good recoil pad. I am looking forward to March. :)

OldMan":3aufp81n said:
If you are not going to put a muzzle break on that monster go with a scope with lots of eye relief. Mine came back against my forehead way too many times and always drew blood! That round can be loaded to some real good ballistics with the 225 AB. I had a W. German Mark V and the stock trigger was really a keeper, don't know why you would want to change it! I did put an extension on the safety wing as the old Mark V safety is really short.

Good luck with this boomer!

I like Leupold VX-III's because of the eye relief. You might have a good trigger but I do not like the one on mine and so I have decided to go with the Timney trigger. Thanks for the encouragement, I am excited about the 340Wby. I really like my 338Win mag and the 340 is just the 338Win Mag in spades.

Back