Lets see that one rifle...

model70JCrt.png

Well the truth is I really dont plan on hunting with it ........................... was going to just pull it out from time to time and show it to friends and see how it works out for an investment. However I have got that VX-2 with the #4 reticule and a set of engraved rings for a model 70 ???? Who knows maybe I will weaken! Of course I have a Hawkeye Lightweight in 270 already and its toped with a Zeiss 2-8 so I do have a gun to hunt with . But that Winchester would be a dandy. I will post some pictures of it when it arrives . I bought the standard Tribute with 2X wood and the recoil pad but he paid the extra $600 and ordered the Tribute Deluxe with 3X wood and a metal buttplate. I had plans to buy a Kimber but when I saw the JOC it turned the tide, as I have read everything Jack ever wrote and found his stuff to always be correct and also found that following his advise always worked out for me! I never got to meet him but did get to visit with old Elmer Keith one time when he was signing his books up in Anchorage at Chris Golls store North West Outfitters............... he was telling some tall tales of yesteryear and to be honest about it, I wasnt that impressed but I know there are lots of guys on here that liked Elmer and dont want to ruffle up any feathers.

Earl,

You'll weaken. A rifle like that, beautiful as it is, is meant to be hunted.

My go to rifle is Sako 75 in 300wsm; Love that trigger

Attachments

• 103_0870.JPG
    709.1 KB · Views: 512
runtohunt":1j5cpwcg said:
My go to rifle is Sako 75 in 300wsm; Love that trigger

Great picture runtohunt! What load are you shooting from your 300?

Awesome elk by the way!

LOL your probably right Mike........................... I may even have to take it with me up North and compose a picture with it and a big Mountain Goat, and see if I can come up with something that is like that picture of Jack with his old indian guide he hunted with so many times up in the Yukon 'Field Johnson" and that big ram that is actually engraved on the floorplate!

What makes a rifle beautiful is the potential inherent within. The superficial lines are meaningless without the potential of lethality.

Thanks Dr. Mike. I have been shooting 180 AccuBond ahead of 69 grains of RL 22. Unfortunately, I have not been been as happy with the AccuBond as the rest of you fellows. Shot that bull twice and both of the bullets disintegrated. Both shots were at 250 yards.

I've pulled the trigger on quite a few Sakos, and none shot poorly for me. I can't say that aesthetically I'm enamoured of the lines on either the Sako 75 or the Sako 85, but they do perform beautifully. Despite my ambivalence concerning the lines, I wouldn't hesitate to have a Sako in my safe (or a Tikka, for that matter). They do perform marvellously when called upon.

I am somewhat surprised at your report of the AccuBond, however. I've either shot, or witnessed shot, well over fifty head of big game (bison, moose, elk, sheep, black bear, grizzly, mule deer and whitetail) with AccuBonds, and I haven't witnessed a failure yet. My hunting partner uses AccuBonds exclusively in his 376 Steyr, 338-06, 300WSM and 7mm STW. I've been present when each of these has taken game, and bullet performance was excellent.

As much as she frustrates me some times..... this is it.

Leuygrp101708.jpg

Obviously it works occasionally........

PRONGHORN064.jpg

FN 300 Mauser comercial in 250-3000 Savage CL

My most recent fling... though this is about as good a little rifle as I've owned (including all my custom rifles). Another SPS ADL .243 Win. (sitting in an old BDL-V stock here) with a Trijicon 3-9x40 atop.....

photobucket-1552-1325605705308.jpg

Songdog,

I've not put any Trijacon scopes on my rifles yet, but all of them I've handled or shot at the range made me thing they were great scopes. I may have to pick one up. I should imagine that putting the SPS ADL into the older BDL stock could only improve the accuracy. It does look pretty good.

If you want to try a Trijicon... let me know... I'll send that one up to you. As of now, it's just lying around... I splurged and bought two new pieces of glass that I've been wanting to try for a while.

It is a very solid hunting optic though, and the bullet just seems to arrive on the triangle instinctively. It's hard to imagine a more simple system than a 1.5 MOA glowing orange triangle. I shoot it 1.5" high at 150 yards with the 70 NBT (3550fps)... that way, it's never higher than that 1.5"... and it's inside the triangle to about 325 yards. Triangle on shoulder... WHAMMY... doesn't get easier than that.

Songdog":3ljitxqn said:
If you want to try a Trijicon... let me know... I'll send that one up to you. As of now, it's just lying around... I splurged and bought two new pieces of glass that I've been wanting to try for a while.

It is a very solid hunting optic though, and the bullet just seems to arrive on the triangle instinctively. It's hard to imagine a more simple system than a 1.5 MOA glowing orange triangle. I shoot it 1.5" high at 150 yards with the 70 NBT (3550fps)... that way, it's never higher than that 1.5"... and it's inside the triangle to about 325 yards. Triangle on shoulder... WHAMMY... doesn't get easier than that.

Bam! Our ACOGs are designed just like that. Put man in the triangle and press the trigger. Works well for alot of shooting at common ranges.

Looked through a Trijicon 3-9 the other day and man, it was bright and seems like it would be excellent in a hunting optic as well.

I may be looking at one shortly. Those I've shot from the bench were reasonably impressive. I would enjoy having one to tote for a season or so, and that may just happen soon.

This is my go to rifle whether I am after Elk, Mulie, or Whitetail. Model 70 classic stainless .270. It just so happens this is the first big game rifle I ever bought back in the spring of 98. It took my biggest whitetail this past fall, a few elk, a few mulies, and hundreds of groundhogs back in Ohio. It didn't start my obsession with Model 70's, my prewar 22 hornet did that, but it sure helped fan the the flames of it. I don't ever plan on getting rid of her, and even though I have a classic stainless Model 70 in .243 for my girls, I would really like it if my girls take their first whitetail with it. It has never let me down and shoots straight and true.

It still wears the same 3x9x40 Burris FFII scope that I bought on the same day with Leupy mounts.

DSC00691.jpg

A close second is the rest of them. The bottom one is a FNSPR, but I still call it a Model 70 :grin:

rifles.jpg

That is a great set of firearms. They are certainly displayed in an attractive manner in that picture.

pre6422hornet":2crp252d said:
This is my go to rifle whether I am after Elk, Mulie, or Whitetail. Model 70 classic stainless .270. It just so happens this is the first big game rifle I ever bought back in the spring of 98. It took my biggest whitetail this past fall, a few elk, a few mulies, and hundreds of groundhogs back in Ohio. It didn't start my obsession with Model 70's, my prewar 22 hornet did that, but it sure helped fan the the flames of it. I don't ever plan on getting rid of her, and even though I have a classic stainless Model 70 in .243 for my girls, I would really like it if my girls take their first whitetail with it. It has never let me down and shoots straight and true.

It still wears the same 3x9x40 Burris FFII scope that I bought on the same day with Leupy mounts.

DSC00691.jpg

A close second is the rest of them. The bottom one is a FNSPR, but I still call it a Model 70 :grin:

rifles.jpg

Great pictures Pat!

Back