Lets talk Bullets

Yoda

Beginner
Feb 3, 2015
2 - manufactures Swift A-frame, Scirocco / Nosler Partition in .257 caliber at 25-06 velocity and the Bee also since there might not be a lot of use of the swifts.
I use the 100gr Partition on my 25-06, great bullet, but it does shed it's front core very fast at high impact velocities, wound channels (At least in my case) are very small after entering the chest cavities of the whitetails I've shot with it the lungs might have a quarter size hole threw them and not scrambled up at all, exit hole are caliber size, entrance side will have a golf ball size hole threw the ribs, hide has a caliber size hole. Most of my whitetails are shot inside 100 yard, meat damage next to nothing if I stay off the shoulder, and if they leave where there standing its not far and I have a good blood trail.
Those of you that shoot the swift line of bullets what kind of internal damage are you getting with them ? My thought with the Partition is by the time the bullet gets inside the chest cavity, the front core is completely gone and I think its mostly acting like a "Solid" creating next to no hydrostatic shock in the chest cavity itself,. I shoot most my deer in the middle of the day so I do a lot of looking while field dressing, this is very consistent, . what's everybody think >>

I've got to throw the 115 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip into this one...

From my .25-06, it's been tremendously effective on mule deer & pronghorns. Expansion is sure, but controlled, and I've only recovered one bullet - that was from a pronghorn I shot in the chest, front on, and collected the bullet from the hip area, just under the skin. All the others have exited.

Large wound channels. Instant drop is the norm. That, and tremendous accuracy is why I'm using the Ballistic Tip again this season... It's quite a bullet. NOT the fragile "varmint bullet" some make it out to be - not anymore...

Regards, Guy

I've used both bullets in a variety of cartridges (and several calibres). The A-Frame penetrates deep and is ideal for thick skinned critters. The Partition is as good, creating a deep wound channel. I've never felt that either bullet was incapable of cleanly taking the quarry if I did my part in selecting the shot. I like them both, but the Partition is easier to find and cost somewhat less. Consequently, I use a fair number of Partitions.

If you get to do post-mort there can't be too much wrong with what you're doing.

I tend to believe that we have a weight retention obsession when it comes to whitetail and shy away from premiums in favor of bullets with more "pop" particularly when behind the shoulder shots are favored. For that I can't imagine beating the 100 gr Interlock or NBT.

Double shoulder shots, however, call for the other extreme like a mono. I've had fantastic results from the 90 gr GMX for this but highly doubt you could go wrong with a 100 gr TTSX or ETip.

If you like a balance, Guy's suggestion is a great one.

If I ever do a multi species hunt that includes elk and carry a quarter-bore I'll consider an A-Frame or 115 NPT.

Given your results I'd use a 120 Partition instead. The reduction in velocity could reduce the smeared off lead and the extra 20gr would probably enlarge the wound channel.

The 120 A-Frame is just awesome in my 25-06. Penetrates really well and maintains a very good frontal area for caliber. I like its build when I think of taking larger than deer animals with the 257's. For deer, the 115 BT is pretty solid medicine. Guy seems to prove that every Fall.

...I use 2 "hunting" bullets in the .25's, the 120gr. GrandSlam & the 120gr. Sierra HPBT GameKing. Obviously not the best exterior ballistics, but when it comes to terminal ballistics they're very consistent over a wide range of velocities, & extremely "terminal". They hit hard, dump a bunch of energy, while still managing to penetrate, usually all the way thru, even after hitting a heavy bone. Mule deer & antelope I've taken w/ 'em tend to be DRT. They aslo tend to be very accurate in my rifles...

I am a huge fan of the swift A-frame bullets,especially if you are hunting with calibers that some may consider marginal. I have taken three elk with a 7-08 and the 140 A-frame.I don't think they are necessary when hunting whitetails or similar size big game. The Partition is a fantastic bullet as is the ballistic tip for Whitetail or similar sized game. My favorite bullet for whitetails is the AccuBond.

Yoda,

I would suggest looking at both the 115 gr BT and the 115 gr PT. I'm confident
you will find the 115 gr BT will give you the DRT results that you are looking for.

Where about are you in the Eastern UP?

JD338

JD338 I'm about 20 miles south of Sault Ste. Marie Mi,. We run a charter fishing service out of Detour/St. Ignace.. www.halcyoncharters.com
efw Not complaining about the 100gr Partition its done everything Ive asked of it and more just looking for the "better Mouse Trap" I guess.
I shot the Barnes Xbullet one year that was (Old Ones without those driving bands) and a very hard time getting them to shoot decent, I did kill a decent 8pt with it, recovered the bullet except for 1 missing wing it was a advertisement picture, but they also fouled the old barrel very VERY bad.
Guy Miner U do have me thinking about that 115 BT, what kind of yardage are those hitting critters at ? the problem Ive had with the cup and core bullets is they come unglued inside 100yards. The first bullet I ran in this gun was the 100gr Sierra ProHunter very accurate bullet, we killed close to a dozen whitetails with it the first year I owned the gun, let that bullet stretch its leg past 100 yards and it was a heck of a deer killer, scrambled them up in the inside and would exit even on a hard querying shot, not so up close and personal tho. If and when I do get to hunt the west you cam bet I'll be using a heavier bullet . I've just started playing with this rifle again since the new barrel was screwed on it and I'm going to try a few of the beaver offering in the caliber..

Yoda, I think the 115 BT would hang together very well, even up close. It has a thick jacket and base.

My little brothers are running the 120 PT out of a 257 Weatherby. Does great work at Weatherby speeds but it doesn't open up as well as a 115 BT would. Kills fine, but if I was looking for something that would have a larger wound channel, dropping back to the 115 BT would be my answer.

The Swift A-Frame will hold onto the front end very well, a little more money, but they only get used a few times a year.

I am of the opinion that the Ballistic Tip will meet or exceed your expectations on whitetail--even big bodied whitetails. I generally reserve my A-Frames for big, tough critters. Partitions are an excellent compromise, working well on whitetail and big, toothy critters.

If WT is your main quarry and your ranges are under 200, I would take a real good look at the 110 gr Accu-bond.. If personlly feel it will do exactly what your asking for.
Other options of course are to shoot a heavier gr PT or cup n core . I cannot personlly vouch for the BT as I have not personally run them in anything but a 30-06 and switched it to the AB's aswell.
As for the sicorro I know to guys using them exclusively but both in 7mm RM's , they are very pleased with performance.. Getting a good load with them did take some very particular attention to seating depth..
Swift I believe still uses a pure copper jacket on there bullets rather then guilding metal so paying attention to copper fouling is a must as is having a decent copper solvent. CR-10 or BTE , something along those lines.
I would also suggest a peek at the bullet test section here on the forum , just about every bullet imaginable has been evaluated somewhat..

Yoda - my mulies & antelope taken with the 115 Ballistic Tip were all between 150 - 350 yds.

Last whitetail my son took was 70 yards with the little 95 gr Ballistic Tip from his 6mm Rem. Buck was facing him. Bullet went in the chest, glanced off the spine, was recovered in the hip/butt area, just under the skin. Not much bullet left. That was one instant drop.

At the ranges you describe, I'm thinking the 110 AccuBond might hang together better for you, but I sure have been impressed with the Ballistic Tips.

Regards, Guy

Believe me Yoda I understand the NEED to tinker!

Don't remember if anyone mentioned it, but check out the bullet testing sub-section of the reloading board. Good info there!

Welcome too... JD & I are Fudgies from GR but love yer neck of the woods!

I think my wife is going to use the winchester featherweight 25 WSSM that I picked up for my daughter. Its a little lighter than the 270 extreme weather in the same featherweight stock that I built for my wife. I was running 130gr TTSX and Sierra GK in the 270, planning on the TTSX for moose. I have been shooting 100gr BT @ 3135fps in the 25 WSSM as I thought it might be nice for blacktails and caribou, I couldn’t fin the 115 BT when I was first getting bullets for it.

Its shooting the 100gr BT pretty well for a lightweight factory rifle, 1.25-1.5” for 5 shot 100 yard groups. I picked up some 100gr TTSX and 100gr Scirroco to try in it. I’m hoping that they will shoot to the same POI as the BT so I have a cheaper practice load and a toughter hunting bullet load. If I can get it shooting well the 100gr TTSX should be good enough for a young cow moose.

Yoda, I went to LSSU back in 97-2000, had a lot of great times up in the “soo"

Yep been into the bullet testing board quite a bit, pretty impressive how some of the bullets can hang together at such high impact velocities .. well the snow leaving the fields up here so it shouldn't be long before my shooting gets a bit easier, now if the 110 accubonds ever become available I'll give them a run.. thanks fellas...

I am using the 110 AB in my .257 R @ 3150 fps. Should kill deer as well as the 100 Partitions at 3100? The 110 AB's are hard to find but I have some finally, now.

Yoda":302co5pw said:
JD338 I'm about 20 miles south of Sault Ste. Marie Mi,. We run a charter fishing service out of Detour/St. Ignace.. http://www.halcyoncharters.com
efw Not complaining about the 100gr Partition its done everything Ive asked of it and more just looking for the "better Mouse Trap" I guess.
I shot the Barnes Xbullet one year that was (Old Ones without those driving bands) and a very hard time getting them to shoot decent, I did kill a decent 8pt with it, recovered the bullet except for 1 missing wing it was a advertisement picture, but they also fouled the old barrel very VERY bad.
Guy Miner U do have me thinking about that 115 BT, what kind of yardage are those hitting critters at ? the problem Ive had with the cup and core bullets is they come unglued inside 100yards. The first bullet I ran in this gun was the 100gr Sierra ProHunter very accurate bullet, we killed close to a dozen whitetails with it the first year I owned the gun, let that bullet stretch its leg past 100 yards and it was a heck of a deer killer, scrambled them up in the inside and would exit even on a hard querying shot, not so up close and personal tho. If and when I do get to hunt the west you cam bet I'll be using a heavier bullet . I've just started playing with this rifle again since the new barrel was screwed on it and I'm going to try a few of the beaver offering in the caliber..

Yoda,

I know the area well. I spent a lot of time in the Moran and St Ignace area.

The 115 gr BT is a tough bullet and it will hold up. I'm running it out of my 257 Roberts at 3100 fps with sub MOA accuracy out to 600 yds. Run one into some water jugs at 40-50 yds and you will see for your self the hydrostatic shock transfer. It is an awesome bullet and if you put it in the chest of a WT, it wont go far.

JD338

Back