Loads for 338 Federal

walkinhorseman

Beginner
Sep 28, 2010
Has anyone on here done load development for the 338 Federal? If so, what was the most accurate powder(s)? I'm interested in bullet weights from 180 to 210 grains.
Thanks

Welcome aboard, Walkinhorseman. I trust that you will be encouraged to join in the discussions that take place here. I've had some success with A2495 and 210 grain TSX. Similarly, W748 and the 200 grain AB has performed well for me. Other powders I've tested that gave me good performance with the 200 grain AB include A2520 and A2495. I've also had very decent performance with the 200 grain E-Tip and either W748 or A2520. When using the 210 grain PT, both H380 and A2520 have yield encouraging results. Another possibility is the 215 grain Sierra GK and IMR 8208 XBR, which has shown promise in my rifle. I had some encouraging results with CFE and 185 grain TSX. There are certainly a plethora of possibilities available with the 338 Federal, making it a most attractive cartridge. The only game I've taken with mine at this point is a young bull moose. However, the cartridge performed up to expectations.

IMG_0721a.jpgDr. Mike, thanks for the welcome. What I see in this forum that I like is the orientation to hunting rifles. More specifically, traditional styled rifles, meant to be carried.
I've inserted a photo of my 338 Federal. It's a Sako L-579 in a McMillian Sako Classic pattern stock with a 21" stainless barrel, Leupold 2.5x8 in Warne old style rings.
This rifle is quick in the hand, pointing and handling like a shotgun.

Very nice. That should work great for you. I apparently like that scope--I've had four of them and still have two. My 338 Federal doesn't get enough field time because there is such competition from other cartridges in my safe. Nevertheless, if it a great cartridge that punches far above its weight class.

Absolutly love that rifle, great setup with the VX3 2.5-8. Depending on ones needs a VX3 1.5-5 or 1.75-6 would work well in close cover. These are my three favorite big game scopes.

I will up grade my 270win some time and the old VX2-7 will get replaced with the Vx3 2.5-8 and the 2-7 will go to my Whelen.

Have fun shooting that rifle.

Back