Marlin 1895 45/70 Problem

Jarhead37

Beginner
Oct 25, 2007
I bought a new mod. 1895, 22" bbl, 45/70 a couple of years ago. The
lever has a tendency to spring partly open with anything but really mild
loads. With handloads I can't get much above minimum charges without this happening. With Buffaloe Bore's "45/70 MAG." ammo the lever springs downward about 2 inches, which is pretty scary. The new Hornady factory loads "LeveRevolution" only spring the lever slightly open.

I changed-out the factory lever for one of the bigger, heavier ones from Wild West Guns. It didn't help. Do I need to replace the bolt?

I would appreciate some information/advice from someone more familiar
with these rifles than I am. Has anyone encountered this in a Marlin lever action? How can it be fixed? Thanks for any help you can give me.
:(

First thing I'd do is contact Marlin. That gun sounds unsafe, like the bolt is not locking into battery sufficiently to stay closed. I don't know much about Marlin's lockup, but I do know that would make me nervous as heck.

Believe it or not this has been discussed before in a gun magazine article.. I do not know if this is a natural thing or not, Just to be safe contact Marlin as advised above. My 450 44 and 45-70 also did this but with heavy loads.

My rem pump 7600 also did this. The theory was that the bullet was long gone and pressures were nill by the time this happened. At least this is what the article stated.

Please let us know what Marlin said.

Thanks Guys,

I called marlin customer service. They said that I need a new "Finger lever plunger assembly". They are sending me one free of charge.

When I installed the new lever from Wild West Guns, I had to re-use the lever plunger from the original factory lever because WWG's did not come
with one. No wonder the problem persisted.

The lever springing open upon firing is not normal, or acceptable, but it is a common problem with some Marlins, especially the big bores. The fix
is either a new lever plunger spring or the whole new assembly (Plunger
and spring). Replacement is nothing -- just a small drift pin retainer to knock out and re-insert. Thanks again.
JH

Back