Mod. 70

onesonek

Handloader
Apr 4, 2008
I ran across an older PF Mod. 70.243 that has a $349 price tag on it. I don't know the used M70 market or many other bolts that well,,,,,What is it worth? Looking at the rifle as a whole, it was was pretty well used. The action is smooth,, the blueing is 80% and wood is pretty plain and 70%. I didn't look at the bore, as it would be a rebarrel/restock anyhow. I am thinking I can talk them down some, but looking at it as a donor action. Just not sure of it's value real value :?: Price just seemed reasonable to me, or am I off base?

That would be about right on price here in Canada. One might be able to negotiate a price reduction to $300 or so. Basically, it is worth whatever the buyer is willing to pay. While the action is not very desirable to many people, the PF Winchesters shot acceptable. The one I owned shot as accurately, if not more so, than those I picked up after the firm again began to market the CRF.

FWIW, I would not hesitate to own a PF Winchester if it was in a cartridge I wanted. I shot a few, and they were all reasonably accurate. Much as I enjoy the CRF, it is a preference and not a demand based on anything other than preference. I can come up with all kinds of reasons why I want CRF, but it still comes down to preference and not a better action.

DrMike":3hzuepvk said:
FWIW, I would not hesitate to own a PF Winchester if it was in a cartridge I wanted. I shot a few, and they were all reasonably accurate. Much as I enjoy the CRF, it is a preference and not a demand based on anything other than preference. I can come up with all kinds of reasons why I want CRF, but it still comes down to preference and not a better action.

Same ideas as Mike. I like the looks of them and how they cycle, but my couple of PF Winchesters are great shooters too..

I think I'd go and offer $300 but I'd be prepared to pay what they are asking.

I owned several PF Winchester Model 70's from .243 Win to .375 H&H and they all worked and shot fine. The XRT Model 70 PF's made after 1969 were a little better workmanship and finish than the ones from 1964 through 68 but they all work fine.

Had one (PF) in 6,5x55 . One of my most accurate guns ever!

My 66 push feed is my favorite elk rifle. Its not pretty or smooth, but lots of elk have learned to hate this rifle

Back