Modified Cases

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
Anyone ever made their own modified case? I know they're cheap to buy, but wouldn't a case fired in your chamber be more precise? Also, after the initial small investment in a 5/16 x 36 tap and L-size drill bit, you could make all you need with just a little elbow grease. Maybe my inner penny pincher is just coming out.

Anyone ever made their own modified case? I know they're cheap to buy, but wouldn't a case fired in your chamber be more precise? Also, after the initial small investment in a 5/16 x 36 tap and L-size drill bit, you could make all you need with just a little elbow grease. Maybe my inner penny pincher is just coming out.
My smith has made several modified cases for me by tapping the base so it would fit the Stoney Point barrel. They work beautifully (8X68S, 9.3X64 Brenneke, .358 Win, etc.).

I've made a couple that worked OK. The big problem is concentricity when running in the tap. If you've got a lathe- problem solved. I did have one that I needed to scrap and try again, but I got it second time around.

There's nothing really magic happening- I'll roll my own if I can't find one of the Hornady modified cases.

I've made a couple that worked OK. The big problem is concentricity when running in the tap. If you've got a lathe- problem solved. I did have one that I needed to scrap and try again, but I got it second time around.

There's nothing really magic happening- I'll roll my own if I can't find one of the Hornady modified
I have a small lathe that would work. Also a drill press and cross slide vice.

Check out Erik Cortina's video on finding jam.

yes , I've made a few . I haven't had a problem making them straight with hand tools . the problem I see is how to hold them . I've run the brass partially into a body sizing die . then clamped the knurled die top in the vise to hold while drilling and tapping . then you may have the problem of the neck being too tight for a bullet to slip in the neck . I've used my expander mandrels to over expand the neck . if I didn't have the over sized expander mandrel , I'd try splitting the case neck to allow bullet slip .

I've thought about taking two pieces of wood , and cutting small "V" notches in each . put the brass in the V's and clamp in a vise to hold while drilling and tapping . kind of like a barrel vise .

I made several of my own midified cases using my drill press, vise, and a set of wooden blocks to hold the the case while I drill the primer pocket. I made my blocks using two pieces of wood held in the vise and drilled with bit that will allow me to hold the case without deforming it. The whole process takes very little effort.

I highly suggest watching Erik Cortina's video on finding jam. I've done it on two rifles. 280AI and 7-08. Easy peasy. Fired Case, Projectile, Case Lube and Sharpie Marker.

Yes. 5/16-36 tap and the proper drill. Getting it perfectly centered to the gnats behind isn’t critical. A good bit is going to follow the primer hole.

Back