Muzzle Brakes

boomer68":3w4bkz1o said:
So, do you guys wear hearing protection while out hunting with muzzle brakes? If so, do you use electronic or plugs?

I always have ear plugs with me hunting. I will probably try the Walkers Game Ears this year though. That way you don't have to worry about it if you jump something and need to get a shot off quick.

I always wear hearing aids now and wear electronic muffs which clip at 85 DbA (as do my hearing aids). I have been deaf in my left ear snce childhood.

Nobody ever believes me when I say his but there are a couple of sound dynamics which are important when dealing with high sound pressure devices (like rifles), brakes and sound antenuation.

The high frequency component of DbA sound pressure does not travel through air as well as low frequency sound pressure does. Meaning that evey foot you are further from the sound source, you lose about 1 DbA of high frequency (over 1khz) sound pressure. DbA is logarythmic in force and each DbA loss is half of the sound pressure. That is why, at 10 feet distance, a brake has no sound pressure difference from a rifle without one. High frequency sound is more directional than low frequency and the high frequency sound that you are hearing from a brake is higher force because of the directionality. More of that is being directed toward the shooter by the brake.

Low frequency sound pressure is more omni-directional and is not affected as much by a brake. The low frequency sound has more force and air movement than high freqency. It does more damage (with a higher magnitude force wave) and is less affected by directional flow from the brake.

If you wear approved hearing attenuation gear for shooting (particularly with powered noise cut off at 85 DbA), it will not matter whether you use a brake of not because both types of rifles will sound the same, FWIW.

For hunting with a braked rifle I like these. http://www.opticsplanet.com/reviews/rev ... ieces.html

Doesn't cut enough noise alone for range sessions with the big sticks but seems to be a decent compromise while hunting. At least I haven't ever had ringing in my ears following a shot while hunting with them and definitely have following shots without them. And doesn't decrease normal sound enough to be at a big disadvantage while out in the field.

TWA (Time Weighted Average) is the other component which engineer's manage which contributes to the damage cumulatively. If you can get 25-28 DbA reduction from those plugs shown or "Game Ear" or something similar, it should help with hunting. I used Game Ears or similar for bird hunting for years to good effect.

boomer68":3jpoe10j said:
So, do you guys wear hearing protection while out hunting with muzzle brakes? If so, do you use electronic or plugs?
Absolutely the new peltors are your friend

Jim you'll love the brake. It's kind of like waiting till you get married to have sex, once you do it you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

Bill

OU812":g2gxxic3 said:
Jim you'll love the brake. It's kind of like waiting till you get married to have sex, once you do it you'll wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

Bill

:mrgreen:

Bill, which brake did Rob put on your 338 O'Brian?
Holes or slots and holes?

JD338

boomer68":nqk6719k said:
FOTIS":nqk6719k said:
Absolutely the new peltors are your friend

Which model would you recommend FOTIS? I currently use the Caldwell electronic.

Yea, Fotis. I am all ears. :grin:

JD338

SJB358":usbm30vu said:
That is a great pig Rich! Glad to see you around a bit! You doing much shooting lately?

Great looking pig buddy.

Hardly any since I left Vandenberg AFB in Jan of 2010. All my rifles have at least one load, most have two worked up for them. About the most I do any more is ensuring the rifles I'm going to use that fall are sighted in and the occasional yote, ground squirrel hunts. The only thing I miss about VAFB is being to go at least hunt for hogs when ever I felt like it, didn't necessarily meant I always shot one even if I saw them. I think that pic was taken in late '07 or sometime in '08, don't remember.

Richracer1":lf6kt1e4 said:
SJB358":lf6kt1e4 said:
That is a great pig Rich! Glad to see you around a bit! You doing much shooting lately?

Great looking pig buddy.

Hardly any since I left Vandenberg AFB in Jan of 2010. All my rifles have at least one load, most have two worked up for them. About the most I do any more is ensuring the rifles I'm going to use that fall are sighted in and the occasional yote, ground squirrel hunts. The only thing I miss about VAFB is being to go at least hunt for hogs when ever I felt like it, didn't necessarily meant I always shot one even if I saw them. I think that pic was taken in late '07 or sometime in '08, don't remember.

That was sort of a cool score to be able to hunt whenever you wanted and the hogs do make good test medium for your big thunder!

JD,
My 300 RUM is ported. Holes drilled on angles thru the 26" barrel. From what I figure I have approx. a 50 fps loss in velocity due to porting. Even with porting I get 3100 fps with the 200 AB. You will experience some reduction in recoil but having a real good recoil pad helps even more, something I changed after the porting job. When hunting I carry ear plugs.

My Dad had a 300 Bee in a Vanguard that had a factory brake, the thing kicked less than my Rem. 700 30-06, so much that my daughter could shoot it better than me!!! :mrgreen:

Don

Don, I always wondered if you had a brake on your 300.. 3100 with 200's is about all anyone would ever need, long or short. That is alot of power. I think 200's at 2900 would be nice, so 3100 is just gravy!

Scotty,
I'm pretty set on the load I have. I had the 200 AB going 3200 with Retumbo, even with a ported barrel, but experienced pressure signs wiping the case heads on extraction. It got exhausting attempting to tweak loads but after getting the excellent accuracy with RL-25 I stopped right there. Didn't care about the 100 fps loss. I can tell you even with a ported barrel 200 grain bullets can fatigue me at the bench. It's much more fun shooting off the bi-pod, prone.

Don

Don,

I agree about having a good recoil pad. I have a Pachmyer Decelerator pad on my 338 RUM.
It has done a great job of helping with the felt recoil.
700LSS338RUM.jpg

JD338

JD,
Great looking gun, really like the gray laminate stock. I have the same recoil pad. Works well for us RUM Boys. :wink:

Don

I thought I'd share one of the rifles I'm working on currently. It is a 338 RUM built on a Defiance Action, McMillan stock and muzzle brake built by RMR. I'll be pulling the trigger later this week.

P5150326.jpg

P5150322.jpg

P5150323.jpg

P5150324.jpg

Mike,
Is the barrel wrapped in carbon fiber? What is your take on those type of barrels?
Russ

Back