My Winchester model 70 hunting rifle "project"...FINISHED!!!

My wife finally remembered to weigh the McSwirly...it weighs 1 lb. 15.4 oz (or 31.4 oz.)...thats about 1/2 oz. less than the factory plastic stock.

That was a pleasant surprise...most folks seemed to think the Supergrade stock would weigh at least 2 lbs. 4 oz.

The rifles finished weight, fully loaded with 5 rounds, sling, scope, and all...ready to hunt...is exactly 9 lbs.

I can't wait to see how it shoots and feels in your hands. Let us know how you like the stock versus the factory plastic!

About those weak firing pin springs...

The springs I ordered from Wolff were the wrong ones, they are for the Tubb SpeedLock firing pin assembly which I plan on putting on this rifle at some point...but those springs are no help for my sons rifle.

When I called a few months ago I was told I'd have to send my rifle in to be repaired...I called Winchester again today and asked again if I could get some firing pin springs......she sent me 2 springs via next day air, be here tomorrow.

2012-11-16_14-47-36_692.jpg

That is a very nice stock there. I really like the colors and the swirl. Please post some after results on groups.

pre6422hornet":2f0n27e0 said:
Please post some after results on groups.

Copied and pasted from another post...I haven't taken the time to take any pics of groups, been in a rush to get this all done for opening day tomorrow.

this rifle will now shoot any ammo you feed it into lil tiny groups...and to the same point of aim (@ 100 yds), regardless of bullet weight.

I've shot reloads with 150 SST's, 165 AB's, 168 BT's, and 175 Berger VLD's...every single load hit 2.75" high at 100 yards (sighted in for 250)...I fired a 5 round group that measured barely 1 MOA, using 5 different bullets (one of each from above and 1 Remington factory 180 grain CoreLokt load).

My 168 grain BT load shoots .3"
The 150 SST's shoot .7"
The 165 AB's shoot .5"
The 175 Bergers shoot .3"

Factory ammo...
Winchester cheap stuff...165 grain shoots .7"
Remington cheap stuff...180n grain shoots .5"
Winchester PowerMax Bonded 180 grain shoots .4" (this is really good factory ammo, also shot well in this rifle before bedding)

Like I said...after bedding, it'll shoot anything you feed it...before bedding, it shot pretty bad with most factory ammo, and pretty good with some reloads...now it just plain shoots!

I went to the range I joined yesterday...and was making 600 yard head shots (steel heads, steel silhouettes shaped like an upper torso) even with that cheap factory ammo.

I was too busy shooting to take any pics...but I am a happy camper!

Thanks everybody...you guys have been a big help on this, more than you can imagine (moral support, LOL)...especially oldtrader.

I'm hoping to get some blood on it in the morning...I'm set up on a good line of fresh rubs...starting at about 200 yards for the near shot, out to 450 yards on the far side...We shall see!

It got its first deer this morning...just a spike, but its meat on the table.

350 yard chip shot, quartering to me...hit him high on the shoulder, he went straight down, dead before he hit the ground.

Pics later...

NICE! It sounds like all your work paid off big! 350 isn't a chip shot with most any rifle or rifleman!

Back