Name this bullet

tyson22250

Beginner
Nov 8, 2010
Just wondering if anyone knows the manufacture of these soft points. They Are .270 130gr. I came across a good deal on them and have 17.8 lbs of these now. Not owning a .27 cal anymore and having the bullets Makes a good excuse to get one again. At first I thought they were a winchester power point.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 670
Power Point probably but it doesn't quite look like them. Maybe some really old Hornady bullets?

gerry":2mbvgwj2 said:
Power Point probably but it doesn't quite look like them. Maybe some really old Hornady bullets?

Yep. Same thought here.

It does seem like a good reason to get another 270 though...

I have the Horndy #1 manual and several Speers old enough to determine that that bullet is neither. No cannelure on the Speer bullet. I don't have a sample 0r picture of a Remington bullet but it looks very similar to some 7MM Winchester Power points. I think they're the Winchesters.
Paul B.

It looks like a semi-spitzer in shape.
Not a spitzer, protected point, or Round nosed like the rem & hornady 150gr RN's
I have rem 130gr CL PSP and they are protected points no exposed lead at the tip pretty much flat, not like the pic.
Hornady uses the scant O-Give on their spire points this not them either.
Power points have tiny slits at the point.

Closest thing if Amercan made is the Win power point. And that cannelure being so low is a difining feature too.

...pretty sure Speer never made a round tipped bullet w/ a cannelure, Mag-Tips or GrandSlams had flat tips...

I would bet money that they are Winchester Power-Points. Sometimes Graf and Sons out of Mexico, Missouri used to sell both those and Remington Corelokt bullets as a component. I used to buy and shoot the W-W 180 grain .308 Power Point in my .308 WCF and a friends .30-40 Krag. Typically an accurate bullet they are a bit frangible. If you're deer hunting they definately fill the freezer. After all that's what the .270 and 130 grain bullet have been doing for 90 years now.

I would sure that's a good enough reason to get a .270. Maybe one of those new Model 70 Featherweights with the 22" barrel and CRF. Good luck and Good Hunting!

SJB358":27qfoufn said:
gerry":27qfoufn said:

Yep. Same thought here.

It does seem like a good reason to get another 270 though...

There is no such thing.

Sell em in lots on Gunbroker & use funds to buy a 30-06 ;) .

90 years old and still going strong, should we all do so well........

Thanks everyone I too still think it is a winchester power point. If I had a 270 cal of any kind I would load them up and put them through some milk jugs at some slower speeds to see the expanding version then we could see that aspect of them. Might tell us a little more.

17.8 lbs of bullets is a great find, might be time to buy some sort of 270 :)

I see the tiny slits cut in the jacket at the point, I bet it is the power point. The PP also holds the core in the jacket much like the Core Lokt does at the heal of the bullet.

The cannelure would be a dead give away if someone has a pic of a power point. The extra weight up forward of the O-give allows for the lower cannelure. thats some thing that can't be done with the protected points, true spitzer, and spire point.

Great deer bullet!

Back