New .25-06 finally!! Pics Added!!

taylorce1

Handloader
Jun 3, 2007
Finally my Smith called me yesterday and told me to come and pick up my new .25-06! The rifle will not be completely finished as it still has to go back for gunkote but I'll get to hunt pronghorn this year with it. I need to start load development right away as pronghorn season starts the 3rd of October so I'll have a little over a month to get this new rifle shooting.

I've only got three bottles of 4831 on the bench IMR, Hogdon, and Hogdon SC, of which I think I'll try the SC first. I'm running a 26" SS tube on this rifle so should I look into getting RL22/25, Retumbo and H1000 to take advantage of this long tube. I'm sure the 4831 will do the job, just wondering if a slower powder might not give me just a little more velocity.

Right now the bullets I'm considering are 100 gr NBT and 117 gr Sierra bullets as they are what I have right now on the bench that I think will be suitable for pronghorn. This is my first quarter bore rifle and it has taken a while to get built so I've been collecting components for a couple of years now. Probably have a couple hundred once fired cases as well.

I can't wait to see this rifle after such a long wait. I know it will not be the totally finished product as I couldn't afford to finish the stock right now. The rifle is a Zastava action with double set triggers, a 26" Lilja SS #5 contour, bedded in a Rollover Monte Carlo walnut stock styled after the old Parker Hale and Weatherby rifles. Until I can get the scope I want I’ll just be running a 2.5-8X36 Leupold on it for the optics this season.

taylorce1

Congratulations on your new rifle. Sounds nice. Post a picture of her when you can. There are a few fellas here that have had great success with RL 25 and Retumbo powders. Bullet selection sounds good. Another one to consider is the 115 gr BT, nice BC of .453.
Scope selection will work well for you, the 2.5x8 is one of my favorites. You can send it into Leupold and have dials added for about $150. Turn around time if fast too.

Let us know how the load development goes.

JD338

JD338":2dujw8yb said:
taylorce1

Congratulations on your new rifle. Sounds nice. Post a picture of her when you can. There are a few fellas here that have had great success with RL 25 and Retumbo powders. Bullet selection sounds good. Another one to consider is the 115 gr BT, nice BC of .453.
Scope selection will work well for you, the 2.5x8 is one of my favorites. You can send it into Leupold and have dials added for about $150. Turn around time if fast too.

Let us know how the load development goes.

JD338

#$%*@$ JD, now I got to go look for another bullet! I think I'll stick with what I have, since I checked Shooter's and BivWak after your suggestion and no .257 115gr BT for sale. Bullets have been pretty light around here since Sportsmans is struggling and my favorite shop went out of business when the owner passed.

I love the 2.5-8 scope as well and the 1.75-6 Leupold. However I've been thinking of giving one of the Bushnell 6500 2.5-16X42 scopes a shot. Gives me plenty of low end for hunting and a top end that is good for varmints and coyotes at LR.

that would be a good choice on scope for the rifle I like at least a 12 power on my 25s

Check with OU812, he has a Bushnell 6500 2.5-16X42 on his 338 Lapua and really likes it.

JD338

Taylor, sounds like a first class rig. With the sharp botle necks, and long barrels, slow powders are your friend. H4831SC is also the powder I would start with. I'd be suprised if you did not get good results with it. If not, IMR7828 and the powders JD mentioned would be good choices.

Congrats on the rifle! I just got a 25-06 not long ago as well and I am having awesome luck with 60 grains of H retumbo and a 117 grain spitzer boat tail and CCI 250 large rifle magnum primers. 3 shots into .498 inches at 100 yards. The average velocity for 5 shots is 3113 fps out of a 23 inch barrel

Congratulations on the rifle. It is always fun to work up a load for a classic calibre.

That should be a great rifle!

Looking forward to your range reports & learning about your hunting trip too.

Later, Guy

Congrats on the rifle...I'm sure you will fall in love with it.

I've had good luck with RL-22 and H4350sc in my .25-06. I really like the 100gr Ballistic Tip for Antelope and the 110gr AccuBond for Mule Deer.

Good Luck! Oh, I also use Magnum primers as well.

I have a vx3 4.5x14x40mm Leupy on my Ruger #1.

I use the 110 AccuBond and the 115 BT. Super flying slug.

2506.jpg

and by the way

gunny.gif

Pop - that's quite a scope you've got on that purty rifle...

They talk about clear optics... I think you've set a new standard! :grin:

Guy Miner":21dr39vd said:
Pop - that's quite a scope you've got on that purty rifle...

Ha, ha, ha, I needed that today.

Corey

They talk about clear optics... I think you've set a new standard! :grin:

I have a Leupold 3.5X10X40 on my 25-06 and it is a nice set-up. With 100gr bullets try 56grs of IMR4831and a mag primer. In my rifle and a friends also that load shoots into one hole at 100yds and is fast. Took my last pronghorn with it.

Sounds like a wonderful package you have put together. Curious as to how long you had to wait for it? Best wishes with it and we wait to hear a report on the hunt.

Welcome to the world of BANG FLOP. I have killed well over 200 White tail deer in my life and the 25-06 is the killing-est round I have ever squeezed off.

Here are two standard loads for the 117 Sierra that really shoot in most 25-06's.
This one really shoots in my 26 inch #6 SS Shilen tube Rem 700.
49.0 grs IMR 4350, CCI 250 primer, Rem case. 117 Sierra pro hunter, OAL 3.150, 3150 fps. One ragged hole @100, 3/4" @300. With a 3" high zero @ 100 it is only 1" low @ 300 yards. I hold dead center on a deers shoulder out to 400 yards and he is mine. You will really like what this bullet does to game. Bang Flop.

This load also shoots really well in most 25-06's.
52 grs H-4831 (either one) CCI-BR2 primer, Rem case, 117 Sierra (either one).

Just picked it up today and snapped a few pics. Looks like I need to do some more barrel inletting in the channel. But hey it was a factory second stock and is still a work in progress!

Picture002-1.jpg

Picture005-1.jpg

Picture008-1.jpg

Picture012-1.jpg

Picture010-1.jpg

Picture013.jpg

Picture014.jpg

Picture016.jpg

Picture017.jpg

Nice rifle!! Love the caliber choice to!!

I've shot both bullets your wanting to use with great results on paper on game.

With 100g NBT's I am now using Retumbo and getting 3500fps and 1/2 MOA from a 24" shilen barreled 25-06. I was using IMR-4350 or IMR-4831 for 100g loads, but Retumbo outshoots them by 150fps and is quite accurate.

With the 117g SBT I was using 53g H4831sc for 3050fps and 1/4 MOA at 100 yards. Smallest 3 shot group of .045" at 100 yards, 1 ragged hole!

The 100g NBT is great for coyotes and antelope, deer if the shots aren't going to be close. I've killed plenty of coyotes and a couple deer with the 100g NBT.

The 117g sbt is good all around for antelope and deer. I've killed antelope, whitetail and muley, and black bear with this bullet.

I would definately look into Retumbo. I"m seeing high velocity and great accuracy out of my latest 25-06 using it with 100g and 115g bullets.

Next load I'm working up will be 115g NBT and Retumbo.

Back