New Bell & Carlson Stock *PICS*

M7025-06

Beginner
Jun 28, 2014
I installed a new B&C Medalist stock on my Model 70 280 tonight. This rifle has the 2 piece bottom metal so I ordered the adapter with the stock. After free floating the barrel and some other minor fitting I discovered the bottom metal adapter fit really tight in the mag well after the magazine well was installed. It's tight enough that there is no play at all.

My question is...does a tight fitting mag well cause any problems, accuracy or otherwise, or should I just shoot it and see how it does?

I put an HS Precision on my old Rem 700 and it was not shooting well. I saw a post online mentioning that if the sheet metal magazine liner was putting pressure on the bottom of the action it could cause problems with accuracy. I checked and there was no free play in the magazine liner. I used a file to take down about 0.030" of the liner length and then beveled the bottom of the liner so it would fit down into the bottom metal. That left about 0.020" free play up and down for the liner.

The accuracy then improved dramatically... Problem solved. Don't know the exact configuration of your Model 70 but I did have issues with the magazine liner / well on a rifle and taking the pressure on the middle of the action fixed it...

I ended up cutting the adapter so it fit under the front and middle action screws only. Instead of it being one piece it's now 2 pieces. Seems to work.

Gotta show'er off...

2015-01-15102641_zpsabb898d8.jpg

2015-01-15102620_zps4cd18abb.jpg

2015-01-15102612_zps3b0ccf0f.jpg

I like the B & C Medalist stocks. Have 3 Weatherby styles for 3 Vanguards.
I have one in that same finish on the 257 Wby Vangaurd...

Funny you mentioned that...

I've never really been a fan of synthetic stocks until I was back home last weekend and my dad brought out his new Weatherby Accuguard (257 Roy by the way) with this exact same stock. The more I looked at it, the more I wanted one.

Looks very similar to the B&C stock I've got our Model of 1917 in. Very nice for hunting!

Felt recoil was very much reduced by that stock as well.

Guy

Guy Miner":3s8lzs21 said:
Looks very similar to the B&C stock I've got our Model of 1917 in. Very nice for hunting!

Felt recoil was very much reduced by that stock as well.

Guy

I noticed that too. Even though this stock seems to weigh a little less than the one it replaced (Boyds Prairie Hunter), the kick didn't feel near as sharp.

I didn't shoot it before altering the adapter so I can't say. I wouldn't think it's a good thing to have the mag well metal as bound up as it was.

I suspect that you're right about the magazine.

A good, clean bedding job is nice to have though.

Guy

ScreaminEagle":3fgvxbki said:
How do these stocks feel? Do they feel like a factory plastic stock just painted or better?

Not really. The gray webbing adds some good texture. There shouldn't be a problem with it slipping out of my hands if gets wet.

The butt of the stock sounds hollow so I might pull the pad and stuff something (not sure what) in there to fill that void and maybe add a little weight to the back end. It feels a tad front heavy.

The one I put on my Weatherby Vanguard fit very nicely and felt 100% better than the factory plastic stock that came on it. It balances real nice with the Zeiss Conquest 4-14X44 MC on top. Recoil was also more controllable.

ScreaminEagle":hfaqanfj said:
How do these stocks feel? Do they feel like a factory plastic stock just painted or better?

Way better. They are a nice stock. Put a couple on some customs I gave away I liked them they shoot good too. Especially for as light as they are. 6.5 lbs without scope.

It's a mount for a flashlight I use hog hunting. I just leave it on all the time.

Very nice looking rifle. The stock looks real good.

JD338

Back