New reloader, looking for good powder for 30-06

If I had to pick a round to do it all and a powder to go with it---- 30-06 and H4350!!!!

C.Smith":3cwz871i said:
crash0ride":3cwz871i said:
I use RL-17 in my 30-06, it works great! My AccuBond loads shoot under 1" @ 200yds

Get a nosler reloading manual and always begin with the starting loads. Also read about pressure signs.

Have fun!

What kind of velocities are you getting?

Corey

I will post them once I get a chrony

C.Smith":2cikvdk4 said:
crash0ride":2cikvdk4 said:
I use RL-17 in my 30-06, it works great! My AccuBond loads shoot under 1" @ 200yds

Get a nosler reloading manual and always begin with the starting loads. Also read about pressure signs.

Have fun!

What kind of velocities are you getting?

Corey
2812, this is a dandy load and a great powder. Cw

You will be very happy with H414 (W760 by another name), and find it ideal in a 30/06 with a number of bullet weights. There are a couple of things to know about it, though. One, as others here have same, you should use magnum powders (the speed of the powder is set by the coating on the granules of powder, rather than by the surface area of the granules) as it is somewhat more difficult to ignite. Two, realize that you will have more carbon fouling with this powder. Neither should be considered a show stopper; on the latter point, just ensure that you get the bore thoroughly cleaned with a good powder solvent before attacking the copper.

The burn rate of H414 is very similar to the 4350s of both manufacturers. And I wouldn't get all sweated up over the temperature stability issues. Amazing how many animals ffell to powders such as IMR 4350 before they realized they were temperature sensitive. Find a combination that works in your rifle, sight in properly, go hunting.

H4350, RL22 is where I say start! If these do not work, get a new rifle. I like 57-grs 4350 with 180's and 58-grs with 165's. My guns love 165 NP with 60-grs RL22 as well. Bang-flop and clover groups. :grin:

If your going to be hunting in cold weather climates with 4350 I would say use a magnum primer. I've had a negative experience with standard primers and slower burning powder in cold weather. I tried the same load with a magnum primer in colder weather and found no problems with ignition.

I used 4064 for a long time, with great results.

I get better results with IMR4350. I shoot 57.5gr IMR4350 (over max!) under a 165gr Hornady GMX (sorry!) and get groups of around 0.5" at 100 and velocity is around 2800.

Es06,

For 165 grain bullets, I've found 57.5 and 57.6 grains of IMR4350, with CCI standard primers, to be an accurate load. Some 3-shot groups just above a half inch, but more realistically an honest inch load. I've used both Nosler and Lapua brass with similar results for both. I've not tested Partitions, but Accubonds, Ballistic Tips, and Custom Competitions are all under an inch.

For 180 grain bullets, I've used John Barsness recommendation of 58.0 grains of Ramshot Hunter, also with CCI primers, same brass. That load is typically even better grouping--I don't have any group sizes measured as it's still in development, but it's not uncommon to shoot one, see the shot, shoot two, and not see the second. Normally the second is right on top of the first. But like I said, too early statistically to talk about group sizes.

If I were to redo powders, I would start with H4350 and 165 grain bullets instead of IMR4350. H4350 is more temperature insensitive than IMR4350, so a solid load at 80 in May is a solid load at 15 in November.

Hope that helps.
v/r
Joel

Joel, which 180 are you shooting? Sounds like you are having some really good results with Hunter though. Scotty

beretzs":2dah4tfr said:
Joel, which 180 are you shooting? Sounds like you are having some really good results with Hunter though. Scotty

Scotty,

I haven't tried any Accubonds or Partitions yet, but the 180 grain Ballistic Tips group really well. So well that I set the scope and stopped shooting after about 12 rounds because I kept getting touching holes.

Then I went hunting, missed a doe, gut shot a doe at 60 yards, and missed another doe (I thought it was the gut shot deer initially, and I was trying to finish the job). Scope must have broken during the trip. It's a fixed 4 Leupold, but it was more than 37 years old.

On the positive side, I had never had to track a wounded deer before, and had my doubts. But by the grace of God I found her.

v/r
Joel

Wow, glad you were able to claim the deer. That other 30-06 is the M70 right? Hope Leupold is able to get you fixed up. Sounds like the rifle is still a great shooter and the 180 BT is a great deer bullet too. Scotty

beretzs":1erz0931 said:
Wow, glad you were able to claim the deer. That other 30-06 is the M70 right? Hope Leupold is able to get you fixed up. Sounds like the rifle is still a great shooter and the 180 BT is a great deer bullet too. Scotty

It was a M70, and I gotta give Winchester credit. She was quick to point, came to the shoulder naturally, comfortable to carry, and lighter than my M700. Of course, she also has a 4 inch shorter barrel and a more slender foreend, so that probably helped. She (M70) also has iron sights, but I didn't sight them in prior to this trip--I won't be making that mistake again. All in all I now have another solid hunting rifle, especially after some trigger work and some bedding. And some scope repair.

The scope was also nice, albeit before it lost zero. I thought I would be handicapping myself by using a 4x scope, but I think I've been handicapping myself these years using a variable. Every time I put the rifle to my shoulder it was a near perfect sight picture. I thought I would get a VX-6 this year, but I am solidly thinking about a 6x42 FX-3 instead.

joelkdouglas":1gemte52 said:
beretzs":1gemte52 said:

It was a M70, and I gotta give Winchester credit. She was quick to point, came to the shoulder naturally, comfortable to carry, and lighter than my M700. Of course, she also has a 4 inch shorter barrel and a more slender foreend, so that probably helped. She (M70) also has iron sights, but I didn't sight them in prior to this trip--I won't be making that mistake again. All in all I now have another solid hunting rifle, especially after some trigger work and some bedding. And some scope repair.

The scope was also nice, albeit before it lost zero. I thought I would be handicapping myself by using a 4x scope, but I think I've been handicapping myself these years using a variable. Every time I put the rifle to my shoulder it was a near perfect sight picture. I thought I would get a VX-6 this year, but I am solidly thinking about a 6x42 FX-3 instead.

I don't think a straight 6x would ever be a bad choice! I ran a straight 4X for a long time and never really knew I was missing anything. Great hunting scopes.

Congrats on the Winchester. Pretty fond of them myself. Scotty

Welcome to the board. I think that most of us would like to like that we are saving momey but betweeen shooting more premium Nosler bullets and just shooting more, our fun things budget is still dusted by the end of the month.

I tried H414 and found it to cause hang-fires in temperatures below freezing. I solved that problem with a heavier charge weight. Then watch-out in summer for H414 is very temperature sensitive, whereas it caused overpressure signs.

Of the powders I've used, I like IMR 4064 and Varget for the lighter bullets, and IMR 4831 and H4831 for the heavier ones.

Back