New reloader, looking for good powder for 30-06

Es06

Beginner
Jun 19, 2011
Hello everybody,

I've realized I can't afford to shoot as much as I would like unless I start reloading, and I'm enjoying the process, but I picked up a pound of h-414 and looking through this forum, nobody seems to suggest or even mention it for 30-06. Is there any particular reason, should I switch? I plan on getting a pound of another powder anyhow to compare accuracy. Does anybody have any suggestions as to what might be better/good? The reloading shop out here seems to stock lots of Hodgdon, some Vhitavouri, and Winchester powders, and it's expensive to ship other powders to Hawaii due to hazmat fees. I'm shooting an old Herters u9 I got from my grandfather years ago if it matters, and I plan on sticking with 168gr a-max for the range and 168 gr combined tech ballistic tips for hunting because I always got good results with 168 factory rounds.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me on powder or anything else.

Welcome to the forum!

Here's a link to a very good article on loading for the .30-06: http://www.24hourcampfire.com/newsletters/May_2009.html

I've heard good things about H-414, but haven't used it myself. Normally I use H4350 in the .30-06, sometimes RL-22 or H4831 with 180 grain or heavier bullets. Am going to give Ramshot Hunter a try sometime soon I believe.

I think you'll find 165/168 grain bullets and the 180's are both very good bullet weights. No need to really pour on the throttle with heavy powder charges to get good results from the .30-06 either.

Regards, Guy

Welcome to the forum my friend.

I agree with the aforementioned advise. H4530 is my go to powder.

I use H-4350 for .30-06 with all bullet weights of a 150 grs. and over. It's one of my favorite powders, and use it with other chamberings as well. It has given very good results!
Dave

Many years ago I used to only load Winchester W-760 (sort of a twin to H-414) in the .30-06. I always obtained good results with it but didn't like the fact that it was so temperature sensative. I have since switched to H-4350 and never looked back. H-4350 and the .30-06 go to gether like Ice Cream and Apply Pie.

Larry

H414/W760, CCI large rifle magnum primers, 150gr/165gr nosler ballistic tips Is a great combo for the 30-06. I do not think you can find a better powder to work with in the 30-06. But 180gr/200gr i had better results with H4831.

I too use H4350 in my 30-06 with both 165 grain bullets and 180 grain bullets. I also use the mag primers with good results.

Corey

Welcome to the forum, and welcome to hand loading. I don't want to disillusion you, but you probably won't save all that much money because you'll be shooting more. However, you'll enjoy your rifle that much more. I agree that H4350 may be a more satisfying powder, but H414 works quite well with 165/168 grain bullets in the 30-06. If you're getting good velocities and reasonable accuracy, bonus! You might pick up a pound of H4350 and try some experimenting. It just may work better than you could imagine. Best of luck to you.

RL-17 has about the same burn rate as IMR 4350. I switched a couple of years ago as I was getting better velocity and the same great accuracy. If it is in your local store, ya might give it a try. CW

When I bought my 30-06 back in 2003 I also bought a pound of H414 and was shooting the Barnes 150 grain X-Bullet. It was a marvelous deer load and held around an inch for 5 shots give or take. I knew that this rifle could do better so I tried 165 grain Ballistic Tips and still used H414 for years as it shot better with Nosler Bullets than the Barnes X-bullet. Then H4350 came out which as everyone else has told you is not temperature sensitive. My first 3 shot group with 55.5 grains of H4350 and the 180 grain Nosler Partition was a clover leaf at 100 yards. I knew I had found the right powder for my rifle. I have since only used H or IMR 4350 in all of my personal 30-06 handloads. :mrgreen:

So in a nutshell, I am positive with Nosler bullets you will get a great shooting load with H414 or W760 as it is known sometimes but I feel you will eventually gravitate to the 4350 crowd, it is the 30-06 family powder after all... :wink:

I use IMR4350 with my 30-06 and 165 gr. Accubonds. It and H4350 are great powders and I don't believe you could go wrong with either of the 4350's. H414 should work, and might very well prove very satisfactory in your rifle.

DrMike said:
Welcome to the forum, and welcome to hand loading. I don't want to disillusion you, but you probably won't save all that much money because you'll be shooting more. However, you'll enjoy your rifle that much more.
+ 1 on my disillusion. I thought I was going to save myself $ too but I know I could have bought cases of factory ammo with the $ ive spent on reloading tools and components. It is VERY gratifying to see a tight group though and know you were part of the reason for it :!: good luck on your new hobby!

I use RL-17 in my 30-06, it works great! My AccuBond loads shoot under 1" @ 200yds

Get a nosler reloading manual and always begin with the starting loads. Also read about pressure signs.

Have fun!

crash0ride":1kcl3mxo said:
I use RL-17 in my 30-06, it works great! My AccuBond loads shoot under 1" @ 200yds

Get a nosler reloading manual and always begin with the starting loads. Also read about pressure signs.

Have fun!

What kind of velocities are you getting?

Corey

This is from the Hornady loading manual #8;

165-168 grain bullets
H414
Staring load; 45.8 gr. 2400 FPS Maximum load; 58.3 gr. 2900 FPS
Paul B.

Welcome to the forum and to handloading! Sounds like you are doing well with H414, but it seems that 4350 pops up just about anytime someone mutters 30-06! There has to be something to it. Scotty

I started with IMR 4064 but after trying RL 17 I'll never go back. I easily get over 2820 fps in 168gr bullets. In the new Hornady manual they have superformance at only 2800 and that's saposed to be the new wiz bang gotta have powder

Thanks for the advise and the warm welcome everybody. I'll let you know what sort of results I get once I have my method polished for consistent reloads. It seems like I should try the 4350 next. I see some folks suggest using the mag primers, does the longer hotter flame run the risk of creating pressure spikes in the -06? Even if i can't shoot as much as I might like, at least I can afford to shoot more, as long as I don't get a wild hair to go out and buy better and better presses, dies etc. . .

Thanks again

I think mag primers are being suggested because of you shooting a ball powder right now. With 4350, I don't think they are needed. If you are happy with your press and are turning out good ammo, no reason to change it up. They do the same basic thing and many millions of good rounds have been turned out on that press. Plus, it has some good family value in it and that means something! Scotty

Back