New Scope Purchase - Customer Nightmare

338winmag

Handloader
Jan 9, 2011
This is an FYI for scope or other optics purchases. Fellow Nosler friends, buyer beware.

We had approximately 28 days left to buy a new scope for one of our camp hunter's rifles (the 300 win mag). We could not find the scope he wanted locally so after some internet research, we decided to go with OpticsPlanet. The hunter friend did not have the option to buy the scope immediately so I offered to purchase and he wold pay me back this week. (he is very trustworthy). I asked a number of times for confirmation that the Nikon Monarch 4-16x42SF BDC was in stock and was assured they had 21 of them and could send it out immediately.

I ordered on a Friday but the scope did not ship out till the following Monday. I tracked the scope in its shipping process and it arrived Friday afternoon. I excitedly opened the box, removed the scope and immediately saw a number. "2.5" on the magnifier. Oh no! As I looked at all the magnifiers I saw it was a 2.5-10???? The box says 4-16x42SF. The wrong scope was in the box and we have just 17 days before leaving for camp.

I thought - no problem. I will just call customer service up and have them make it good and send out the correct scope immediately. This is where the nightmare started.

The CS rep immediately told me he was sorry but he could only escalate the issue to the "investigative department" that takes about 2-3 days. Since this is Friday, this investigation will not start till next Monday?? Investigation??? What the crazies is an investigation? I asked to speak to a manager and this as still normal business hours for their location. I was told they only have one and he was not avaialble at the time but would call me soon. At the end of all these calls, it was inferred that I could have possibly made a fraudelent action and exchanged the scopes. (good grief)

Long story short. After a number of different calls to the company and alot of phone time, I am stuck with a $400.+ charge and not any call from a manager and no resolution in sight.

I immediately called Cabelas after the last call with Opticsplanet and got a fantastic CS rep. I explained my whole situation including this bogus "investigation" Opticsplanet gave me and that shocked the Cabelas CS as well. In the end, Cabelas has a new 4-16x42SF BDC scope in transit and will have the scope arrive this coming Wednesday, with free shipping (this was not a standard offer but to me a return customer), and at the same price.

I looked up comments\complaints on the internet against this company and now have found that they use this "investigation" excuse with others as well!!! Just incredible. Who really is the fraudulent party here..

Buyer Beware.

I will give a review of the scope once we mount it and take the rifle back to the range next week.

338winmag

I'd contact the nearest Better Business Bureau office near this outfits location and file a formal complaint.

I would also make sure the location of other complaints are enclosed in the complaint.

The only online optics store I use is SWFA in Texas. Have had good results and no complaints.

Sorry to hear ya got stiffed this way......

Sorry to hear of your bad experience. We had an ugly experience with OP also. Bought a scope that was in stock. Charge placed on credit card. Waiting for shipping info and got an out of stock email instead. Needed the scope expeditiously so tried to cancel sale and buy elsewhere. Got ugly from there. SWFA is definitely an excellent outfit and very easy to contact and work with and don't play games. Cameraland has been a recent discovery and they too are excellent. Hope it works out for ya.

It is good to know so that others can avoid this outfit. Man, that is a rotten deal, however.

Fellow Nosler Friends - thanks for the support and also being candid on your experiences too. I had an immediate bad feeling when the CS rep's first response was it would first have to go to "investigations"?? I have never heard of such a thing ever in a purchase.

I purchased with Ameircan Express card and they always jump in and fight for their customers so I will let you all know how that goes.

On a positive note, gosh I luv you guys!! I wasn't sure the responses I would get but I am one of those ole silly people that care alot about people and feel pain when others feel pain. I just don't want others to experience this kind of issue on a good faith purchase.

Thanks all
338winmag

Go get 'em, Steve. Such lack of service (even fraudulent marketing) needs to be exposed. Sportsmen need to support one another, just as we need to support quality companies that supply our needs and expose those that fail dismally.

Steve, I am glad that Cabela's was able to bail you out for this hunt.

I have had an issue with OP as well on an "in-stock" Leupold 4.5-14-40AO VX3. They promised to priority ship when I ordered on Friday afternoon. Saturday they changed me to Back-Ordered" with a two week ship approximation and nobody to talk to at CS on the weekend. I had called and was told the scope was in-stock Friday when I ordered.

I then waited about a week and still could not get a commited delivery date on the phone. I cancelled the order and have never used them again. There are many good optical dealers, including MidwayUSA. We do not need to allow this to happen wthout recourse

Update:
I contacted American Express. They have never heard of a "customer service investigation" for a wrong product sent. They removed the charge and they are contacting OpticsPlanet and requesting payment back directly to them.This is why we use American Express almost exclusively.

Thanks guys

Great intel Steve! I am taking Optics Planet off my list of internet optics people.. Your word and the others on here means alot to mean. Glad Cabelas is working for you too.

Hopefully you can get that 300 ready and tuned up.

Cabelas is GREAT...they've messed up my order a couple of times...but ALWAYS make it right, and FAST.

Once it wasn't even their fault...UPS delivered the ammo ($100 worth) to the wrong address, I called Cabelas to tell them I did not receive the ammo....no questions asked, they immediately sent another order...the next day a guy down the road brought me the original order that was delivered to his house...I immediately called Cabelas to tell them to cancel the 2nd order...they told me it was already shipped and not to worry about it "keep it...its on the house" she said.

I'm also a long time customer of Cabelas...the first thing I bought from them was a Bausch & Lomb scope in 1986...they have always taken good care of me.

Midway is a good place to do business too...but Cabelas is my first choice if they have what I'm looking for, the free shipping, points for purchases, etc...it adds up.

Interesting experience.
I'm glad you are getting a new scope and that AmEx came through for you. FYI, my Cabelas VISA customer service experiences have been excellent and I use them for any hunting/fishing product purchases. I like the Cabelas points too. :wink:

While I have never ordered a scope or anything expensive from them I've used Optics Planet many times over the past few years, usually buying rings and bases. I've gotten used to the fact that they rarely have anything in stock that I need, but they have always told me when it would arrive and have been accurate with that.

I think they're just an online company with no physical inventory. The weekend staff is usually just someone answering a phone and typing into a computer offsite from the real office.

I've had great service and pricing from ManVenture Outpost as well as CameralandNY. They are the only places other than Cabelas that I've used to actually buy an optic.

I usually buy optics which are pretty popular, widely used models and those which should be commonly available as stock. I ordered a Leupold VX3 from SWFA two weeks ago. It is a 3.5-10x40AO, they backorded me on this item which really surprised me and I canceled the order. I am now going to go in a different direction with the scope application.

I can only surmise that the economy is causing many of these backorder issue and no stock issues. Retail company's working capital dries up and disappears in an economy like this one, at last around here.

Customer Service is another issue. The last company which I worked for in Plant for nearly 20 years ran a 90%, 48 hours fill on all orders. Customers do not see how competent and dedicated your employees are, all they see is: your product, the lowest paid person on the corporate totem poll, untrained and being the Customer Service person who makes or breaks the customer contact and satisfaction experience. This seems like an an upside down pyramid to me sometimes!

Great heads up. Appreciate you posting this.

I've had one purchase from OP and it was fine. I doubt I'll repeat, when the only thing they had over SWFA or midway, was the particular model I wanted was in stock.

I have to say, SWFA runs a great shop. I've probably put through a dozen orders over the years and every time they ship the same day I order. No muss, no headache... just get what I want at a decent price.

Never ordered from them. Never will

Thank you

I have bought many scopes from SWFA, including both my Kahles, (2) Leupolds and a Swawo. I also post on their "Optics Talk Forum" sometimes since I was a Senior Project Engineer for an Optuics company (Armorlite, makes CR-39 cast opthamic lenses).

Back