New Stock Project. 1949 Model 70 UPDATED

pre6422hornet

Handloader
Jan 24, 2012
I purchased a stock of Ebay for my 1949 pre 64 70 in .270. I have always wanted to inlet a stock myself and I figured I might as well do it. The stock is a little shorter than factory ( about 1/2 inch) and it has a Pachmeyer already ground to fit, but I may take that off and install a whiteline to get the dimensions back to factory. The current stock on my 70 is 1/2 inch shorter than factory so either way it will be okay. I use this rifle primarily on wet days when I can stalk through the woods so the shorter length actually is really nice.

The barrel channel is only 1/4 of an inch opened so I have a lot of work to do on it, and the stock is very rough and oversized. I am planning on performing all the work by hand with no Dremel or power tools, but we will see. I have all the sandpaper I need, and I hope to use the Armorall/Tru oil combo to finish. I have some Tru oil already. I am also going to perform the checkering my self, again the first time I have tried it.

The add on Ebay just said "Fancy Walnut Stock". I was able to get it for 150.00 and when I rec'd it, the stock had a product number and a price tag of 450.00 inside the magazine area :?:

I have no idea who machined it as the seller had no idea.

Well here are some pics of before next to the current stock.

DSC01118.jpg

It has the shadowline cheekpiece that I love and the black streaks in the stock look really nice.

Here is a pic outside against the fence.

DSC01119.jpg

and a close up of the butt, showing the dark lines.

DSC01121.jpg

If anyone has idea what type of walnut this is just by looking at it, please speak up. I have had three people look at pics of it and all three suggested that it is Bastogne, but I can only take their word.
Anyway I am documenting the progress and hopefully taking a whitetail or two with it fall of 2013 ( or maybe a bull elk).........

Well I am completely done with the bedding. I have been true to my word and used zero power tools. I primarily used a 1/4 inch chisel, sandpaper, dowel rod, sanding block, a couple files, and that is it.

Here is the day I started:

Liberty-20120801-00151.jpg

Inletting the chamber area with a 1/4 inch chisel.

DSC01129.jpg

Here is how I did the barrel channel. 60 grit with a dowel rod.. Back and forth, back and forth. etc... :

Liberty-20120803-00152.jpg

I went completely old school by using a sooty flame to "soot" the action and then press into the stock instead of using inletting black. Here is what it looks like. You can see the black marks on the chamber area indicating the high spots. :

DSC01141.jpg

DSC01142.jpg

Inletting the barrel band ( probably the hardest part actually ). This was not even there in the stock before I started. Sharp chisels are key to all of this and I kept my sharpening stones close at hand. My grandpa always told me " A sharp knife or chisel is a safe one".

DSC01143.jpg

DSC01136.jpg

Inletting the lyman 48:

DSC01130-1.jpg

Complete ready for bedding:

DSC01156.jpg

Materials I used:

Liberty-20121026-00337.jpg

I completely inletted the bottom metal first. Gerber Baby food containers make perfect mixing bowls.

Accraglass gel before mixing:

IMG-20121113-00420.jpg

After mixing and adding walnut dust from my stock to color blend it:

IMG-20121113-00422.jpg

I used a small paintbrush and painted the bedding compound in the entire barrel, action and tang section. The magazine well also was completely bedded in.:
IMG-20121113-00424.jpg

Pic of the action ready for install. I used Brownells action bedding studs. This makes it impossible to get bedding compound inside the threaded portion of the action. They are easy to use and I give them a thumbs up. I also put one layer of painters tape on the front, sides and bottom of the recoil lug to ease in pulling apart and reinstillation.

IMG-20121113-00418.jpg

Action installed and bedding compound squeezing out:

IMG-20121113-00426.jpg

I then used a popsicle stick and cut it at a 90degree on one end and scraped the bedding compound out of the way:

IMG-20121113-00428.jpg

IMG-20121113-00430.jpg

Here it is all pulled out and excess sanded away.

IMG-20121114-00431.jpg

Now I can start final sanding in prep for finish and checkering. I will keep you all posted.

That is just neat! I truly love a fine wood stock, and when you are finished, that'll really dress up the old Model 70. It looks as if you've done a great job to this point. Very good.

Great report and looks like you did an excellent job too. Looking forward to seeing how it all turns out.

Man it looks like you are doing a fantastic job on that. Once finished imagine the sense of pride you will have in doing it the way you have. It will truly be all yours! Nice, very nice.

Wow, Pat, I did not realise that you had done this project already and had done most of it by hand! That is a lot of work and is probably more than I would even consider doing without buying an inletting chisel set and several bits for my Dremel at the very least. That is a heck of an undertaking to do all yourself and by the way that you did it! It looks like it came out just great! The stock inletting job looks really nice and must have been a lot of work to do by those methods from a rough blank? Plus it sounds as though you get a really good deal on cost for the blank?

What about checkering? I ask because I have an almost finished project rifle (Browning action) that I did last summer and I am considering whether I want to have it checkered or not?

I can not tell what kind of wood the stock is from the pictures. I would have to see a patch of the stock finished, stained? and/or with what ever oil or compound you are going to use for the final finish. In its present state, it does no look like Bastogne to me but those are just pictures of rough wood and it is hard to tell because of the light. It could be Bastogne with the dark striping through the wood, just hard to tell. Bastogne has a particular yellow cast to it, with brown and black stripes running through the wood as figure detail. Your stock seems to have a reddish cast to it? PM me if you wish for us to discuss this in greater detail. I can send you pictures of my Bastogne stock. It could be English or Turkish Circassian walnut as well?

Thanks guys! I am really looking forward to the finished project, but I am really trying to take my time and not screw anything up.

Charlie, I sent you a PM, but it still shows that it is in my outbox and not sent... If you can send me a PM and I will reply with my questions. thanks,

Pat

Pat, I have replied to your PM and have written some ideas and suggestions which you may wish to review. I am certainly available to help with pictures or anything else that you may need.

I was wondering also, how you were going to prepare the exterior of the stock for the final finishing. I always use mostly a wood cutting file to remove excess wood and to shape the stock into the final confuguration that I want. I try not to use rasps or other files which leave a lot of cleanup to get rid of the line cuts which they have made.

Keep me posted and if I can add anything to what you are doing, I would be most happy to do so. The French Oil finsh which I mentioned can be done with a lot of patience which most people do not have nowadays. If you need more information on how to do this , let me know. I have a stock that I am working on now and am considering doing a French Oil finish on it once I get the surfaces where I want them.

God bless your patience~

I never had any for wood working. Nicely done and thank you for the pictures.

Great post Pat! And some wonderful craftsmanship...thats the word for it sir. Look forward to your next post. CL

Excellent work, you have much more patience and skill than I. Keep up the great work it is truly a work of art.

Awesome work Pat. Looks beautiful to me and awesome work with the hand tools!

Pat,

Nicely done! It takes real skill and a steady hand to do that all with hand tools. I did a very similar bedding job on a M70 I have. I cheated and used a dremel. It looks to me like circassian walnut.
Is the intent to bed the barrel to full contact or are you going to bed the lug area and wrap the barrel with a wrap of tape to free float the barrel? Keep us posted with pictures and updates. It looks to be a gun you'll own with pride.

Scott

This could serve as a tutorial for anyone contemplating a similar project.

Really nice hand work, and very well documented with words and photos.

Thanks!

muleman":28ucxvkm said:
Pat,

Nicely done! It takes real skill and a steady hand to do that all with hand tools. I did a very similar bedding job on a M70 I have. I cheated and used a dremel. It looks to me like circassian walnut.
Is the intent to bed the barrel to full contact or are you going to bed the lug area and wrap the barrel with a wrap of tape to free float the barrel? Keep us posted with pictures and updates. It looks to be a gun you'll own with pride.

Scott

Muleman, unless you eliminate the barrel band, free floating a pre 64 is tough. Not impossible, but tough. This rifle shoots very well will the stock set up with the 4 screw factory set up, but I have never mounted a scope on it. I bedded it for full contact up to the beginning of the forend tip. That is the only part that will float per se.

Thanks for all the kind words fellas. I am performing this by hand out of tribute to my paternal grandfather who we lost this past spring. While he never owned a gun, he was a master with his hands with any material he touched. He was a tool and die maker for 55 years at the same company. He taught me as a very young child how to perform tasks such as weld, solder, read a micrometer ( no digital for him :grin: ), work with wood, etc... I used to spend hours in his basement watching him cut a board or metal shim 1/64 of an inch to long then hand sand it down to perfection. He helped me refinish my first stock back in the late nineties ( Ruger M77 tang safety).

I started contouring the stock the other night and the figuring in the grain has really come out. I am really excited to get this done, but I have to reming myself to slow down and make it perfect.

IMG-20121116-00443.jpg

That's going to be a great looking stock! The grain is starting to really stand out.

I have to admit, I like the original stock too...

Doing this as a tribute to your grandfather is really neat. This rifle could be a family treasure for generations to come. Nice.

Regards, Guy

Pat, that thing is going to POP man! Man, when you put some oil on it, it is going to be out of this world!

Woodworking is my 2nd passion to all things rifles.. I haven't really ever crossed them both together, but you might be pushing me to try it!

I certainly admire those who are able to work in wood to produce an attractive finished product.

Back