Powder Prices.

Couple weeks ago I broke down and got some powder online from PV. They had 5744 in stock at the time. I also added a few pounds of Tac and a 8lb jug of Superformance , not sure what I’ll use that on yet. Man that was one hell of a bill , even with a free shipping coupon code they had sent me.

Couple weeks ago I broke down and got some powder online from PV. They had 5744 in stock at the time. I also added a few pounds of Tac and a 8lb jug of Superformance , not sure what I’ll use that on yet. Man that was one hell of a bill , even with a free shipping coupon code they had sent me.
Yikes. I bet too that was a bill. Man I hope things settle down on the pricing with some of this stuff. One can only hope. Hard to tell in the reloading component industry, how much of it is a big demand on limited supply, and how much of it is the inflation that has hit everything else.

I almost bought some more IMR 4831 from Powder Valley this morning, for $35.25/lb but by the time I added in the hazmat, shipping and tax it was almost $50/lb. When I run out of that I'll use another powder.
I don’t know…………in its burn range IMR4831 is an awfully great performing powder to discount so quickly. It always seems to be accurate and gives great velocities. Not the very top velocities but very good. In my loads it always gives consistently admirable groups no matter the production lot. Buying more than a pound at a time keeps the hazmat fee from stinging quite so badly. Maybe it’s just me but I suppose I’ve developed a dependency on it.

I don’t know…………in its burn range IMR4831 is an awfully great performing powder to discount so quickly. It always seems to be accurate and gives great velocities. Not the very top velocities but very good. In my loads it always gives consistently admirable groups no matter the production lot. Buying more than a pound at a time keeps the hazmat fee from stinging quite so badly. Maybe it’s just me but I suppose I’ve developed a dependency on it.
IMR4831 was one of the first propellants I became addicted to, and it has continued to be a top performer for a number of cartridges. While other propellants may have properties that are better, this powder works in a wide variety of cartridges, which makes it a favourite.

I was looking at 4 lbs altogether, but you are right it is a great powder, I'm kind of having second thoughts. I see Hodgdons still has some.

Be persistent.
Check prices, and then stay on it.
Prices are high, but if you want to reload-Spend the money.
Then go and or shoot and have fun

Looked them up this evening and it looks like among some other things they got in 2 more 8 lb jugs of IMR 4350 yesterday. They always post a picture and description of new stuff that comes in every week..........I swear when I blow the picture up it appears like the price tag on the 4350 is $274 or $279. Powder coming in and the price is going down? Is that possible? Will have to call tomorrow and find out.

I post this stuff just to keep everybody appraised of what I see happening. Don't know where my local shops are at in the line, and I know it's a big ole country out there, but my 8 lb jugs of IMR states they're made in Canada, and the Hodgdon jugs says manufactured in Austria, so it's not like my area has a manufacturing advantage geographically. Increase in supplies is increase in supplies. Long as it continues the trough will fill back up everywhere down the road.

Oh, yeah, IMR manufactures their powders here in Canada. That doesn't help us up here, however, as most of what is produced is destined for the States. There is no price incentive for using IMR powders--they are the same price as Hodgdon.:(

Back