Reloading, Ammunition shortage a scam?

sonofagun

Beginner
Sep 6, 2006
I just left my local Gander Mountain store in Michigan. Federal Fusion 7mmag ammo with NAB180...$99.99 for 20 rounds! Nosler Partitions 180G bulk bullets $49.95 for 50!

Do tell me Nosler, Federal, Etc. were the shortage of raw materials are or were the cost has gone up so dramatically? There is a loyal base of customers that shoot, reload and hunt year round. These manufacturers can't meet the basic needs of there LOYAL customers? I have been hunting with Partitions and AB my whole life.

I keep hearing about the great primer shortage??? Why is this? The raw materials are not in short supply? No shortage of guys that need the employment to manufacture. I am fed up.

I hope the short term gains are worth loyal customers. Remington had Core loct ammunition in 7mmag for $19.00? I smell a scam and Gander Mountain with these prices in the year a guy cannot buy a new gun or a coat just before gun season will see me no more.
Mike

I can't speak for other manufacturers but our prices have actually stayed the same since last November. I obviously can't make a retailer adhere to our suggested retail price but if you wanted to buy them direct from us, we're more than happy to sell them to you. I can't guarantee availability but when we do have them, they will be at the same price.

Has it occured to you that maybe Gander Mountain is price gouging????? Try shopping online, such as MidwayUSA and others.

Also, the manufacturers have more important requirements than keeping you or me stocked with ammo or reloading components. This requirement is our Armed Forces!!!!!!!!!!!

As for primers, manufacturing primers is a very delicate process that only very highly trained personnel accomplish. The manufacturers just don't take any idiot off the street and have them start producing primers. Those employees have taken years to get qualified to handle the extremely explosive components that are used to make primers, which by the way is not an assembly line process. It's a very slow tedious process to make primers. In addition, I've several reports that the primer maunufacturers are running 24/7.

sonofagun":7ob0ss12 said:
Federal Fusion 7mmag ammo with NAB180...$99.99 for 20 rounds! Nosler Partitions 180G bulk bullets $49.95 for 50!

Wow, when did Nosler start making 180gn 7MM bullets????? No wonder they are so exspensive!!!!!!!!

Go easy Sonofagun,
Not sure what happened in your neck of the woods, but if you are willing to check on line and some other resources, you will find that you can get powder and bullets for about what you could a year ago. Primers are hard to come by, and that is a fact of life. But, I would step carefully before placing blame. I just bought 8 lbs of powder for $130 + tax and shipping. Bullets are about the same as a year ago, but I don't buy a lot of factory ammo. I have noticed that shotshells have risen in the last few years to about double, but i would suspect the government far sooner than the producer.
Hardpan

Hardpan, I wish I could get you guy's to buy the powder and have it sent to me without going to Federal Prison. One of our gun stroes is getting in a supply and is selling the 8 pounders for 188.00. Hows that. And a 1 lb bottle of R19 is 37.00. Cheap huh.
Russ

sonofagun

What store location were you in?
I'm curious because the 2 stores in Grand Rapids suck! Price gouging galore,
I haven't been in GM in over a year and refuse to go back, they do not comprehend the word customer service.

JD338

Gander Mt in Aurora, CO just east of Denver sucks ass too...I have the impression they all do. High prices and no help...I do my shopping at Bass Pro, Sportsmans, and Jax out here. No need for GM for quite a few years.

It's Gander Mountain, there reloading supplies are marked well above MSRP. It appears to be a corporate price fix as you will find it across the board at all GM's. I have discussed it with the guys behind the counters at several GM and they even admit it is very high.

Nodak

I know little about Gander Mountain. Long ago, I order goods from them, but they sold out, didn't they. Now, with these reports, I have to wonder how they manage to stay in business. Knowledgeable people surely avoid them.

On most items, I figure Sportsmans Warehouse will undercut Gander Mountain by 10-15, unless Gander is having a sale. On reloading stuff, Gander is usually overpriced 100-300%. Until they come back to earth, they will not receive any of my reloading dollars.

I believe most of the shortage was caused by mass panic buying/hoarding on the part of our fellow shooters.

There has also been some really nasty price gouging going on at some of the retail sources. Shop around, stuff is becoming much more readily available than it was just a few months ago, and with a little shopping, prices aren't out of hand.

Regards, Guy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

He's not a troll, as of yet anyway. I did make sure to check that when I noticed the amount of posts he has made. I think he was probably just a little hot after seeing some prices and misplaced the blame. His previous posts were all good posts.

No worries, you're just looking out for the good of the forum. :grin:

Thanks for the definition Mo.
No a Lurker is someone who watches, but almost never posts.
Personally I just think there is some real indignation about the current prices, and those who are taking unfair advantage of the situation. I know I sure wouldn't if I was running a business because shoots have looooooooong memories.

Back