Remington 760

HAWKEYESATX

Handloader
Aug 15, 2016
As a lot of had suggested, I finally picked up a Remington Gamemaster 760 in, you guessed it, .30-06!
I've been reading some articles about the 760, and every one of them says it's very accurate, and they sure are, especially when a lot of you showed me in another post.
I got it for $350, and to say the least, I'd seen them going for twice that, and more on Gun Broker.
I have collected a few Remington rifles lately. Not by plan, but definitely wanted. Got some great deals on them too.
Anyway, here's to Remington! May their rifles keep living on!

Hawk
92c4ef926ebe485ddddf4e3c357012a7.jpg
a3bb866150b8130ff9f21a5b0d8abbe0.jpg

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

Congratulations, nice addition! If you asked an old friend of mine, who passed away 5 years ago, the 760 is the only rifle that will take game..LOL.. I can't remember exactly how many he had, but it was in the neighborhood of 6-7 of them.

hunter24605":1atjzeeb said:
Congratulations, nice addition! If you asked an old friend of mine, who passed away 5 years ago, the 760 is the only rifle that will take game..LOL.. I can't remember exactly how many he had, but it was in the neighborhood of 6-7 of them.
Holy Cow [emoji230]!
LOL
Yes, people do tend to stick with one type of firearm. No problem with that. Whatever makes them happy!
I'm am recently getting into different action types. I've always been exposed to bolt and lever guns. Now I will delve into the Pump, and I can honestly say, I like it already.

Hawk

Very nice! Just need to add 30-06's in a Ruger no.1, maybe a Browning BLR and BAR to round out your 30-06 collection ;)

gerry":h9ao5ohs said:
Very nice! Just need to add 30-06's in a Ruger no.1, maybe a Browning BLR and BAR to round out your 30-06 collection ;)
Yes, very true!
All of which are on the bucket list.
They are a little more pricey, unfortunately.
Thank you Gerry!

Hawk

Congratulations. They're darn good rifles, I don't care what anybody else would say. Even in the more common 30-06 that was a good price for what looks like a rifle in nice condition. You done good and I doubt you will be disappointed.

Although I'm not personally a big fan of the high gloss finish on those yrs of models, it is a very tough and resilient finish and those yrs have some of the better fitting stocks in my opinion for scoped rifles. Overall I like them best.

If you look on the left side of the barrel just ahead of the receiver, you will see some letters stamped into the barrel. If you want to know what yr it was made let me know what those letters are. Some of them I have memorized, others I'd have to look up.

ShadeTree":2m6dxn53 said:
Congratulations. They're darn good rifles, I don't care what anybody else would say. Even in the more common 30-06 that was a good price for what looks like a rifle in nice condition. You done good and I doubt you will be disappointed.

Although I'm not personally a big fan of the high gloss finish on those yrs of models, it is a very tough and resilient finish and those yrs have some of the better fitting stocks in my opinion for scoped rifles. Overall I like them best.

If you look on the left side of the barrel just ahead of the receiver, you will see some letters stamped into the barrel. If you want to know what yr it was made let me know what those letters are. Some of them I have memorized, others I'd have to look up.
Thank you very much!
The letters are AV I believe.
Attached a pic of the letters.
Thank you very much for letting me know when it was made.
I look forward to shooting it.

Hawk
72bb35cc8e047b993dc42090bc4b0fd1.jpg

Hawke. If the 1st letter is an A, it was made in March. If the second letter is indeed a V it was made in 1979 like my 760 in 35 Rem. If it's instead a Y, which it's a little hard to tell off the picture, then it was made in 1974.

They didn't have rhyme or reason to their date codes and they most times didn't fall in alphabetical order.

HAWKEYESATX":s5qev3e0 said:
gerry":s5qev3e0 said:
Yes, very true!
Thank you Gerry!

Hawk

Those are all nice rifles, might take a few years but eventually you'll find some great deals. I sold my 270 Win recently and I definitely want another one day so I'll be wanting to add a BLR or No.1 in that cartridge. A Sportsman 78 like your 30-06 would be nice too!

gerry":1vsdgcnu said:
HAWKEYESATX":1vsdgcnu said:
gerry":1vsdgcnu said:
Yes, very true!
Thank you Gerry!

Hawk

Those are all nice rifles, might take a few years but eventually you'll find some great deals. I sold my 270 Win recently and I definitely want another one day so I'll be wanting to add a BLR or No.1 in that cartridge. A Sportsman 78 like your 30-06 would be nice too!
The Remington 78 was on Gun Broker at the right time and right place. Most of the time it doesn't work out for me like that. Glad it did though.
The same with the 760. Right time, and right place, for a great price.

Hawk

truck driver":2ti6hmcj said:
If you want to complete your Rem collection you need a 742 which is the semi auto
Yes, that would be the crowning achievement. I just might start looking for one, and see what happens.
I haven't heard a lot of good things about the Remington semi autos.
Ranging from not all that accurate, to you only get about a thousand rounds through them, and then they break.
I'm not sure how truthful those statements are.
Does anyone have any experience with the 742? What are your experiences, and knowledge of such firearms?
I've heard nothing but good things about the 760/7600 rifles though.

Hawk

The older ones were picky about being clean and most of the owners didn't know how to disassemble them and broke them trying to take them apart. The bore snake cleaning system hadn't been invented yet and ramming a cleaning rod in the muzzle would damage the crown and then the accuracy problems would start but if properly taken care of they would last as long as most semi autos from that time period.

Ok, I think I got a better pic of the letters on the barrel.
I'm thinking they're AV. Please let me know what you think.

Hawk
995ddf658a25174d2be7f7c43413eb32.jpg

Yeah, if that picture is right side up, second letter is a V. 1979. Month doesn't really matter, but appears the first letter is an A, so March.

ShadeTree":5nf3fe0e said:
Yeah, if that picture is right side up, second letter is a V. 1979. Month doesn't really matter, but appears the first letter is an A, so March.
Yes, thankfully it is right side up.
That's awesome! 1979! Cool!
Thank you ShadeTree!

Hawk

Yep, no problem. Nice rifle.

Also Hawke, I would forewarn you so you don't get frustrated and think you're not doing something right. That sometime during the era your rifle was built, don't know exactly what yr they started or ended, somebody at Remington got the brilliant idea they needed to start using red locktite, the good stuff, on the receiver stud that the action tube threads on. And apparently some of the workers wanting to do a good job decided if a little was good, more was even better. Those can be just about impossible to get apart.

Hopefully yours isn't one of them. If it is and you can't get it broke down, I don't think I'd fret it. Clean the receiver internally best you can, and clean the bore from the muzzle end.

If you use a little care when starting in a jag or bore brush, and don't go at it like a sasquatch on steroids, there's simply no reason to ever be concerned about cleaning a rifle from the muzzle end if using a decent cleaning rod.

You're dealing with HIGH PRESSURE quality steel that withstands immense pressure, heat, and friction, 1,000's of times over the life of the barrel. The idea that somehow a smooth and softer material cleaning rod can't make contact with the muzzle and can in any way damage that high pressure steel through routine cleaning, just doesn't cut the mustard with me. I've never seen the evidence. Not one single bit.

Getting smacked on the muzzle every other time it's lifted out of cabinet, maybe.....spending half it's life riding barrel down against sharp gravel stones on the floorboards of old trucks, yes. Cleaning with any care at all I don't care how often, no way.

ShadeTree":2gletdxb said:
Yep, no problem. Nice rifle.

Also Hawke, I would forewarn you so you don't get frustrated and think you're not doing something right. That sometime during the era your rifle was built, don't know exactly what yr they started or ended, somebody at Remington got the brilliant idea they needed to start using red locktite, the good stuff, on the receiver stud that the action tube threads on. And apparently some of the workers wanting to do a good job decided if a little was good, more was even better. Those can be just about impossible to get apart.

Hopefully yours isn't one of them. If it is and you can't get it broke down, I don't think I'd fret it. Clean the receiver internally best you can, and clean the bore from the muzzle end.

If you use a little care when starting in a jag or bore brush, and don't go at it like a sasquatch on steroids, there's simply no reason to ever be concerned about cleaning a rifle from the muzzle end if using a decent cleaning rod.

You're dealing with HIGH PRESSURE quality steel that withstands immense pressure, heat, and friction, 1,000's of times over the life of the barrel. The idea that somehow a smooth and softer material cleaning rod can't make contact with the muzzle and can in any way damage that high pressure steel through routine cleaning, just doesn't cut the mustard with me. I've never seen the evidence. Not one single bit.

Getting smacked on the muzzle every other time it's lifted out of cabinet, maybe.....spending half it's life riding barrel down against sharp gravel stones on the floorboards of old trucks, yes. Cleaning with any care at all I don't care how often, no way.
Thank you for the heads up.
I do greatly appreciate the amount of knowledge you have about the 760.
I greatly appreciate the knowledge of every contributor on the Nosler forum.

Hawk

I had a Remington 742 carbine in 30-06. I never had a problem it. It would shoot sub MOA with Speer 150 gr spritzer boat tails and Nosler 150 gr PT bullets and IMR4350.

JD338

JD338":2v9p1zz8 said:
I had a Remington 742 carbine in 30-06. I never had a problem it. It would shoot sub MOA with Speer 150 gr spritzer boat tails and Nosler 150 gr PT bullets and IMR4350.

JD338
Outstanding! That's really good to know.
I always know someone has the right information on the firearms I am interested in.
Thank you very much for sharing your knowledge!

Hawk

Back