Rifle Prices...

E, respectfully disagree on your outlook. In my opinion there's no bubble set to burst isolated to the gun industry. If/when it bursts it will be when everything else tanks along with it. The rarer and harder to get rifles are showing a solid base of consistent pricing. As just an example the trying to get rid of prices here locally on things like a Rem 760 308, or a 5 diamond 300 Savage is around $950. If they want to get retail they will ask $1250, and will get it if they're nice condition.

Isolated to your Marlin example, you could very well be right and maybe people will come to their senses. Gotta be millions of those out there, and there's no reason for the prices being paid in the last couple yrs for something like a JM stamped 30-30.

Spring of 2020 I paid $600 for a real nice Rem 788 carbine in 7mm-08. I bought it because A: it's the only one I'd seen in a 7mm-08 plus it was a carbine, and B: I had witnessed regular rifle length 788's in 243, 308, go for as high as $900 at local auctions in that same time frame. Too high at the time, but that's what they brought.

Just watched a 788 Carbine in 7mm-08 go for $1650. I wouldn't say mine is worth more, but if that one brought $1650, the wood on mine is better condition.
The 788 Carbine 7mm-08 started out at $1. The Ruger M77 Ultralight I mentioned above that sold for $1900 started out at $300, so it wasn't ridiculous gouging asking prices, it's just what they sold for.

Been following Rock Island Auctions lately. It's not unhealthy, we are on the road so it would be very difficult to bid, but I've seen some really good deals.

You must watch different rifles than I do. Only followed that a few times for a couple specific rifles that caught my interest. Apparently I look at the wrong rifles..........in every case they went for well more than what I'd of wanted to pay. Plus there's a 17% buyers premium on top of that. A big no for me on the couple I looked at.

This bubble is about to go down like the Chinese balloon 🎈! When I was looking for a 45/70 to play with last fall, I remember all the old tryed and true 1895 Marlins "pre COVID" that were at all the gun shows here in Maine were fetching $5/700 .
Now anything with a JM stamp on it is north of a grand! Some double that???
Ditto on Rem 760/7600 they are on a similar trajectory, with Carbines actually edging into the $2000 range! 😱 OMG. So my money went to an import instead of to Ruger ......... For the same money as a new Marlin I was able to procure a 1886 Pedestoli with NO extra safety, same as an original Winchester in the highly sort after Extra Lite configuration, in a Deluxe PG model with great wood. Very pleased with it. I am a Marlin collector for last 35 years. BUT I am 🚫 not doing business with the GB gougers. This phenomenon won't last......... In the meantime I will just have to put up with this 45/70 till this foolishness is over
EView attachment 19002
Very nice. I could put up with that one for sure. Dan.

I only recently started watching Rock Island, saw a couple of reasonably priced #1s. Had not looked into the fees but add those to what was reasonable, certainly boosted the price.
Market forces are a wonderful thing, but it seems like every gun control bill, rumored or otherwise, sends prices up.

I've been interested in a Ruger/Marlin 1895SBL since their release. I have a really accurate JM series 1895SBL but still wanted one of the new rifles. I stopped in at my LGS again and inquired about the rifle. I was told, " I only get a few of them and I sell them all to the highest bidder". The store is always busy so I guess auctioning off all of their components and hard-to-find riles hasn't hurt the business.

There are still good deals to be found on some things. It does however require more searching and being patient.

I found a Ruger Guide Gun on Gunjoker for $919. That’s LNIB with everything that comes in the box. Also found a lightly used Ruger FTW in 6.5 Creedmoor for $800.

Vince

There are still good deals to be found on some things. It does however require more searching and being patient.

I found a Ruger Guide Gun on Gunjoker for $919. That’s LNIB with everything that comes in the box. Also found a lightly used Ruger FTW in 6.5 Creedmoor for $800.

Vince
Just my optioned observation but some guns sell more depending on how bad someone wants them. I watch a stores auction site fairly often and can't believe the amount some people will bid on the guns listed that aren't rare, great shape or highly sought after models. Their money, and the store is happy, lol. Dan.

This bubble is about to go down like the Chinese balloon 🎈! When I was looking for a 45/70 to play with last fall, I remember all the old tryed and true 1895 Marlins "pre COVID" that were at all the gun shows here in Maine were fetching $5/700 .
Now anything with a JM stamp on it is north of a grand! Some double that???
Ditto on Rem 760/7600 they are on a similar trajectory, with Carbines actually edging into the $2000 range! 😱 OMG. So my money went to an import instead of to Ruger ......... For the same money as a new Marlin I was able to procure a 1886 Pedestoli with NO extra safety, same as an original Winchester in the highly sort after Extra Lite configuration, in a Deluxe PG model with great wood. Very pleased with it. I am a Marlin collector for last 35 years. BUT I am 🚫 not doing business with the GB gougers. This phenomenon won't last......... In the meantime I will just have to put up with this 45/70 till this foolishness is over
EView attachment 19002

That is a sweet lookin piece. I like it a lot

Here is one from our auction here in Saskatoon Saskatchewan from last night . Now this is in CDN Dollars and it is a rare caliber for the particular rifle BUT ....

Attachments

• download (4).jpg
    download (4).jpg
    596.4 KB · Views: 18
The Ruglin's version adds another $500 up on every 1 they produce. The sbl's are 2.5 times the price for that extra inch and threads.

Here is one from our auction here in Saskatoon Saskatchewan from last night . Now this is in CDN Dollars and it is a rare caliber for the particular rifle BUT ....

That's actually not as far out of bounds as some rifles are. Googlefoo tells me that would be $2795 USD. The 7mm-08 is a rare bird in a 99. As is the 22-250. I know a guy that bought a 22-250 at a local auction here about a yr ago. It wasn't that much but I'm thinking it was over 2K.

I only recently started watching Rock Island, saw a couple of reasonably priced #1s. Had not looked into the fees but add those to what was reasonable, certainly boosted the price.
Market forces are a wonderful thing, but it seems like every gun control bill, rumored or otherwise, sends prices up.
Gun control bills only screw the legal gun owner.

Hell....Ruger 77's Hawkeyes are going for $1100! Not worth it in my book!

Yep. It's getting to where anything a person would call a good rifle is under $1,000, is a buy so to speak.

If any of them were worth it in todays market, this one probably was. Being VERY conservative it had a $300 scope on it and as close to NIB as you're gonna get. I had it on my watch list but decided to pass.

As it has been said, this is a demand-driven market; it doesn't help that there are no practical alternatives. When Ruger started producing Marlins, they priced them so high, that there was no market incentive for the Remlins to lower in price.

I suspect, then, that it will only be a matter of time before some market hungry company (Turkey, Philippines) starts making competitive guns at competitive prices. If Armscor (Rock Island) can put out a basic 1911 for an MSRP of $499, I doubt they would find it overly difficult to put out an 1895 clone for $5-600. Eventually they, or someone else, will. Then it becomes a question of how important the Marlin, Ruger, Remington, etc. logo is to people.

Back