Rifle Prices...

When I look at high auctioned rifle prices two things come to mind.
One shrill bidders jacking up the buddies rifle for him.
Two a fool who wants to part with his money.

Or this one. I'm cursed with a natural dislike for synthetic stocked rifles. Dislike is too strong a word probably, just doesn't do it for me and makes it difficult for me to spend money on. As a result I end up passing plenty of good buys like this one.

Maybe somebody on here bought it? Just shows sold now, no price.........if I remember correctly it was priced at $579? Cheap for what they typically are going for I remember that.

E, respectfully disagree on your outlook. In my opinion there's no bubble set to burst isolated to the gun industry. If/when it bursts it will be when everything else tanks along with it. The rarer and harder to get rifles are showing a solid base of consistent pricing. As just an example the trying to get rid of prices here locally on things like a Rem 760 308, or a 5 diamond 300 Savage is around $950. If they want to get retail they will ask $1250, and will get it if they're nice condition.

Isolated to your Marlin example, you could very well be right and maybe people will come to their senses. Gotta be millions of those out there, and there's no reason for the prices being paid in the last couple yrs for something like a JM stamped 30-30.

Spring of 2020 I paid $600 for a real nice Rem 788 carbine in 7mm-08. I bought it because A: it's the only one I'd seen in a 7mm-08 plus it was a carbine, and B: I had witnessed regular rifle length 788's in 243, 308, go for as high as $900 at local auctions in that same time frame. Too high at the time, but that's what they brought.

Just watched a 788 Carbine in 7mm-08 go for $1650. I wouldn't say mine is worth more, but if that one brought $1650, the wood on mine is better condition.
The 788 Carbine 7mm-08 started out at $1. The Ruger M77 Ultralight I mentioned above that sold for $1900 started out at $300, so it wasn't ridiculous gouging asking prices, it's just what they sold for.
think it was 1984 when all the 788's in 243, 308, 7mm/08 were 18.5" barrels, the 223 and 22-250 were still rifle length. after 83 the 6mm LH and RH were dropped, the mag plate was recessed then also. I paid 400 for a LH 788 in 1994 and it was rough.

think it was 1984 when all the 788's in 243, 308, 7mm/08 were 18.5" barrels, the 223 and 22-250 were still rifle length. after 83 the 6mm LH and RH were dropped, the mag plate was recessed then also. I paid 400 for a LH 788 in 1994 and it was rough.

1980 was the yr they all show for the carbines. I believe 1983 was the last yr they made 788's? I have one in both a 7mm-08 and a 308. Are you saying you think they all were carbines in that yr? I always figured it was something that was offered in limited amounts along with the rifle lengths. I hear figures passed around occasionally about what 1 bought at an auction, but the two I have are the only ones I've seen here in person.

Most of my rifles are blued with wood stocks. Some are fairly expensive customs. However I also have a few with synthetic stocks and they're my rainy day bad weather hunters.

For many years most of my hunts were done with Ruger Number One single shots. One one elk hunt in Oregon in the John Day area, I was on a mountain when it started to rain. Rifle was a Ruger Number One B in .300 Win. mag. I had a little back pack and pulled out my raincoat, unloaded the Ruger and put the coat on covering the rifle as much as possible. The wind was such that it ripped the rain coat open and the horizontal rain soaked me to the skin literally in seconds. Just glad I was standing behind a tree or I would have been blown off the mountain. I forget the year but it was 1980 something and they recorded a peak wind of something like 110-120 MPH at the John Day airport. Never saw an elk on that trip other than one small group of cows and me with a bull tag.

On the way home we stopped at a ranch where one of the guys in out group worked as a gamekeeper. They raised pheasants for a cliub when the well to do come to shoot a few birds that out friend would put out for us. He let us use one of the trailrs that the member leave to use when they do a weekend. Imagine ourshock when the owners showed up and we're there sleeping. They were good about after Dave, out buddy explained and we got to be friends. Next day e're out to shoot birds. For some reason I threw my Number one into the truck probably to shoot a coyote if we jumped one. Along about noon here's thei yote running off with one of the pheasants in his mouth so I take a poke with the .300. Miss. Another shot, miss. No one could see where they were going. I only had four rounds with me and none scored.

It wasn't until I got home and took the rifle to the range and found out it was shooting about six feet high. YIKES! Bullets darn near went over the top of the berm. Checked the gun out real close and I'm surprise the stock didn't split where it joined to the receiver. It had swelled up so badly that I had a hard time removing it. The swelling was slight over 1/8" past the outline of the recoil pad. I removed all the wood and stored it out in my large shed to dry out. Dried the interior of the action with milady's hair drier. After several attempts to assemble the gun I put the barreled action in the safe and left the wood in the shed. Tried once a year to see if I could get the gun to shoot and it took six years to completely dry out that stock to where it was useable.

I'd checked out all my Ruger rifle, Number ones and M77s alike and not one shows any signs of having been properly sealed, I'm sorry to say. Granted, I got hit by an unusually hard rainstorm but I have wondered how Ruger's wood would stand up in even a short period of ran or maybe even snow? Synthetic stocks for me when rais/snow threatens. I like my Number Ones too much to gamble another soaking.
Paul B.

1980 was the yr they all show for the carbines. I believe 1983 was the last yr they made 788's? I have one in both a 7mm-08 and a 308. Are you saying you think they all were carbines in that yr? I always figured it was something that was offered in limited amounts along with the rifle lengths. I hear figures passed around occasionally about what 1 bought at an auction, but the two I have are the only ones I've seen here in person.
whenever they started inletting the bottom plate was when they cut the big game calibers to carbine length, and stopped production of the LH model. The first carbine I remember was a 7mm/08 my dad bought a couple years before his passing in 1988 my flawed memory doesn't recall how old the gun was when he bought it. I do remember that I was just starting to reload and I was banished to an outside building to do that dangerous stuff, till I loaded him some 7-08 ammo with 140 gr sierra's and IMR 4350 that shot lights out, He then bought me a loading bench for my room. thanks forr jarring that memory loose!

whenever they started inletting the bottom plate was when they cut the big game calibers to carbine length, and stopped production of the LH model. The first carbine I remember was a 7mm/08 my dad bought a couple years before his passing in 1988 my flawed memory doesn't recall how old the gun was when he bought it. I do remember that I was just starting to reload and I was banished to an outside building to do that dangerous stuff, till I loaded him some 7-08 ammo with 140 gr sierra's and IMR 4350 that shot lights out, He then bought me a loading bench for my room. thanks forr jarring that memory loose!

Ha. Good deal. They shoot. The 7mm-08 without trying anything else, I loaded up with a load that worked in 2 other 7mm-08's I had loaded for buddies, and after getting it on paper it put 5 shots just under 3/4" at 100 yds first time out.

The 308 with just a little bit of fooling shot right at 1/2" at 100 with Varget and 150's the last time I shot it. They are good rifles. If a person watches you can still get deals on them. I paid $650 for the 7-08 around two yrs ago, and just a couple months back paid $450 for a rifle then traded it plus $200 for that 308 carbine, but I kept the Leupold VXII 3-9 that was on the $450 rifle.

my 6mm
6di9wOw.jpg

Someone is breaking my heart on this one. A Weatherby Vangurd in 375 H&H is what I’ve been looking for. A few years ago the sold for $1000 - $1100 new.
2EB942E0-60D8-4943-9BEC-79D9E1EE2F2F.png

It's gotten crazy but I feel like stuff has somewhat leveled out over the past few months. I watch and get sent alot of custom rifles and still look for cool factory rifles. Alot of it depends on what you want but it seems like deals can still be found, if you're willing to wait and look for them. Stuff has gotten expensive, diesel fuel, primers, powder, etc.. Not sure it'll burst but danged if it's helping anything by the huge increase in prices we're seeing today.

Back