Russian Mosin Nagant M1891/59

USMCDM24

Beginner
Oct 9, 2007
Just purchased one. Anybody load for MNs & if so, any recommendations on brass, powders, primers & bullets? I think Norma or Lapua for brass (they're the only ones I've found so far) but the rest is pretty much in the air. I plan on using it for a plinking/range rifle & possible a deer rifle next year depending on it's performance in the off-season.

Winchester used to make brass and loaded ammo for the 7.64x54R. The brass I purchased came primed and I did notice some high primers when I re-primed with CCI primers.

I've used H4895 and 180 gr Sierra Pro Hunters (.311" dia) with good success in an old Polish M44. I don't have the min and max loads handy, but my reloading data says I worked up from 42.0 gr to 44.5 gr and settled on 43.5 gr.

Most Mosin Nagant's have a .311" (or larger bore) and will likely show best accuracy with the .311"+ bullets. There are a few that have .308" bores though so care should be taken before loading up .311" bullets.

Graf's has decent brass. It's the same brass Winchester used to sell. Made in eastern Europe somewhere.

I like H4895 and Varget for powders, BLC2 would also work well.

Thanks guys. I've shot some of the Winchester factory ammo, which seemed to shoot really nicely. I think when I checked the bullet diameter they were loaded with the .311" bullets but I'll have to double check. I've also shot some of the Sellier & Belloit factory ammo (which I think I read somewhere is also Winchester ammo) & those shot pretty reasonably too.

Back