Savage 6.5 SAUM build!

jmad_81

Handloader
Feb 14, 2007

Finally got it done. Had a few hick ups along the way. When we changed out the bolt head to a mag bolt head, we didn't know that we needed to change out the firing pin as well. A few days later we got the parts and had it up and running. I wasn't going to post about it until I had some groups to show off, but I had some time to kill.

Right now I'm running some 140 A Max out of it with 60 gr H1000. I will get the chrony set up the next time I head out to do some more barrel break in done. I'm hoping that I can push a 140 something in the 3200 fps range. I might try to find some 130 or 140 VLD. I would really like to get my hands on some 129 ABLR, but I 'll shoot what I can. I'm running H1000 out of it now. I haven't worked up any loads for testing yet, just screwing around getting the barrel broke in. The Benchmark barrel has a 1:8 twist so hopefully Nosler will come out with a 140 ABLR sometime. I think that that would be a pretty dang cool combination.

I put a 20 MOA Extreme Hardcore Gear base on it. It has an anti cant level built into the back of the rail. I'm not super happy with how high the scope is off the rifle. I used medium Warren Maxima rings, thinking I can get away with Lows. But I want to wait to change it up until I figure out what optics I want to put on it. Right now it is running the VXIII 6.5-20x50 off of my STW.

Can't wait to get this up and dialed in. Got a few spots on the farm that a guy can shoot at yotes as far as he wants to.

That sounds great, Jake. I'll certainly be anticipating your range report. Should be a great cartridge.

Nice, I think the 3150 fps mark is where most guys are running the 140 in the saum case. George gardener "GA Precision" won the snipershide cup this year with the 6.5 saum.

Nice looking set up, should end up being a shooter with all those components.

Jake,

Nice rig!
Looking forward to the range report.
The 129 gr ABLR's will be just the ticket for long range work.

JD338

Thanks guys! I'm sure enjoying it. As pictured it tipped the scales at 10.25 lbs. Recoil is very mild, and it is starting to tighten up on paper. I was cleaning every five rounds. She seemed to need at lest two rounds down the clean barrel before it would settle down a bit. Just in time to clean it again :x . It was to overcast/dark to get the chrony out yesterday afternoon so I still don't know speeds yet, but the case heads are not expanding any. I did notice that after cleaning my next two or three shots seemed to have more chamber pressure than the last two shots would. I'm not sure what caused this, but I'm thinking it will get cleaned up as the barrel gets polished up a bit more.

usmc 89":19fouemn said:
Nice, I think the 3150 fps mark is where most guys are running the 140 in the saum case. George gardener "GA Precision" won the snipershide cup this year with the 6.5 saum.

Yeah, I have read that as well. Those guys are also running 24" barrels I believe. I will be pretty dang happy with anything from 3100-3200 with a 140. I'm hoping I can get this as dialed as some of their rifles. I know that a huge part of their success seems to be the shooter, so I'll have some work to do there.

nvbroncrider":19fouemn said:
Nice can't wait to see a range report! What's the barrel length and contour?

It is a 26" Sendero contour.

Jake, that looks great for a new tube buddy. I think your going to do just as well as my 264 speed wise and man, I love mine. It really hammers those 140's downrange quick.

Awesome set up though. Can't wait to hear how it shapes up as you keep working with it.

...one caution, necking down those short, fat cases w/ heavy walls, the extra brass has to go somewhere, check yer neck thickness & watch out for the dreaded "donut". You might have to inside ream your necks...

wildgene":349jpvf1 said:
...one caution, necking down those short, fat cases w/ heavy walls, the extra brass has to go somewhere, check yer neck thickness & watch out for the dreaded "donut". You might have to inside ream your necks...

Yeah I was wondering about that. I did have to turn the necks down. I'll keep a close eye on them. Thanks for the heads up.

Jake,

Looking good buddy. Its only going to get better.

JD338

Back